Prometheus: WTF ?!??!

If I had to pick a replacement I would choose someone with some knowledge of the platform who has a couple of releases under their belt that weren't just straight ports and, most importantly, was not - as P was not - a servile lackey to Pandora fandom.

Would you take the job Dunny?

Hmm. That would require some thought. Yes, I would probably take the job if offered, however I doubt that many on this board would enjoy me as a moderator, nor accept me as such.

Thanks for the thought though!

D.

I know this isn't a democracy but we have sony as a mod.

It needs sorting out.

For me you would be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Prometheus would be appalled that we think we can 'buy' her back.

Frankly, I respect her decision as much as I abhor this talk of payment.
The way you understand this appears to me to be that some people want to pay Prometheus money so that she continues to work as a moderator in the future, and that is indeed one way to interpret the effort, which is not a good thing (as that would indeed be rude).

Like basically all things that have to do with money, there need to be some useful regulations and strict, enforceable rules in order to prevent problems from happening. The bad thing is that this effort here appears not to have any such things yet. To whoever is the initiator of this fund (sswam?), I suggest asking whether everyone agrees to some basic rules. Here is a first suggestion:

• The fund's purpose is to be a compensation for Prometheus' efforts as a moderator in the time before 2012-07-22.
  • The fund must NOT (as in, never ever) be used in order to convince, or even attempt to convince, Prometheus to return to the open handhelds scene (or to do anything else, for that matter).
  • Prometheus may use the money in order to buy whatever she wants(!), be it for herself or for someone else, no matter whether she will actually return to the open handhelds scene (and in case she should ever return, no matter whether she will do so as a moderator, a regular user, a cow, or whatever else (in case of zombie: non-brain-eating types only)).
  • The maximum cumulated amount of money that may be collected equals the price of one new Pandora 2 on the first day that it becomes commercially available to the general public, or $699 (whichever comes first).

Wait... so this 'fund' isn't actually a stupid joke that people are just playing along with? OMG that's the most [emotive derogatory adjective] thing I've ever seen.

Prometheus didn't leave because of anything to do with the lack of a Pandora2, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there is no way in the world she would take a single penny for anything she did on these boards as a Moderator or anything else.

Christ, feed a starving child or something. Donate to your favourite Pandora developer. Flip notaz a coin or two so you've still got an operating system to use until Craig chases him away.

Prometheus is gone. Get over it and move on with your lives.

Sheesh.

PS: Thankyou Prometheus for tipping the balance back the other way for as long as you did.

Even though I've only been on the forum a short time I appreciated all the hardwork you've put in ! Best of luck ! And the Internet form of saluting

It's clear that we lost one of our best moderators. She is an independent thinker and be sure we are going to miss that. Anyway i don't think of this fund as a way to pay her for something she did or to try to make her come back. It's just a gesture. It's like doing something good for someone you appreciate. As long as this is clear, i see no issues here.

Never buy a thing you don't want merely because it is dear . - Oscar Wilde. in other words we shouldn't try to buy her back , yes this wasn't the perfect quote but I only had 1 book of quotes at hand when I typed this . Not to say that we don't want her back but well you know you can't buy a volunteer you can hire a worker but you can't buy that heart a volunteer puts into their work .

I talked to her ever so briefly, and she really tried not to retire with a ruckus, just wanted to slip quietly away; since she was a mod, she thought it best to have a goodbye, yet lock it to avoid drama. She doesnm't think at this time she'd need a P2 (is quite happy with her P1), and doesn't want to stire the pot up here; she'll not come back to read this I imagine, since it would tear her up :)

So as much as I hate to say it, best to let her go.

jeff

Please don't raise money for a Pandora 2 for Prometheus.. it's not that she can't afford it, she actually doesn't really want one (and doesn't want gifts). She'd prefer you used your money for something else. And before anyone asks, yes she told me to say this.

And don't take this to mean she's reading these forums or is returning, this information was merely passed second hand.

EDIT: darrr skeezix

WTF is a Pandora 2? its still a pipe dream isnt it? Or are you talking about the 1Ghz units?

No, Pandora 2.. I don't know where you've been but there's been a lot of talk about it lately and OPT has dropped quite a bit of information on it, they're definitely working on it..

I keep out of those spam threads, didnt think anything concrete was announced.

Craig has made little comments all over the place. I was thinking of starting collecting them but I don't really feel like digging them up..

Please don't raise money for a Pandora 2 for Prometheus.. it's not that she can't afford it, she actually doesn't really want one (and doesn't want gifts).
It appears that this is just too easily understood wrongly (or, to be more precise, too badly explained), so I'd like to state explicitly that I (obviously I don't know about any of the other people who said they'd contribute, but I guess it's similar for at least some) don't like gifts, and see no point in such a thing as trying to 'buy someone back' (...to truly enjoying something? How's that even supposed to work?). I merely think that it's right to offer compensation for good things.

Of course Prometheus would never accept such an offer, but that's a different thing.

Please don't raise money for a Pandora 2 for Prometheus.. it's not that she can't afford it, she actually doesn't really want one (and doesn't want gifts).
It appears that this is just too easily understood wrongly (or, to be more precise, too badly explained), so I'd like to state explicitly that I (obviously I don't know about any of the other people who said they'd contribute, but I guess it's similar for at least some) don't like gifts, and see no point in such a thing as trying to 'buy someone back' (...to truly enjoying something? How's that even supposed to work?). I merely think that it's right to offer compensation for good things.

Of course Prometheus would never accept such an offer, but that's a different thing.
Um if you think that she won't accept then why bother ? I for one am confused please clarify .

Well the idea of a gift was simply to say "thanks". We certainly would like her to "please come back", but it was not meant as a bribe.

It's traditional in many workplaces to give someone a gift when they leave, even a party and cake!

I do find it irritating that some people have interpreted this as a bad thing. If you want to buy someone a gift, please write guidelines for yourself!

I don't see why anyone would refuse a well-meant gift, especially a person who gives so freely of their own time and effort to help other people. I call it "charity asymmetry".

I think it's unfortunate that Prometheus left all of a sudden, with no room for a good farewell. Now let's stop trolling one another and be nice in this thread.

Um if you think that she won't accept then why bother ? I for one am confused please clarify .
There are entirely too few people in this world who really, really care about what they are doing, who take their task extremely seriously and yet are very careful. No matter what the reason for any of these individual people is to do it that way, it usually ends up being very hard work.

Many times that I benefit from such work, I will offer compensation in one way or another, to make sure it is understood that this kind of working is appreciated, even if that is usually not necessary at all. I don't care whether the compensation is being accepted. Either it is, or it is not, but I've at least offered it.

I keep out of those spam threads, didnt think anything concrete was announced.
Craig has made little comments all over the place. I was thinking of starting collecting them but I don't really feel like digging them up..
I was thinking someone could take the initiative eventually, bringing the pandora2 more and more to reality.

On a lighter note: Pometheus WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!!?!

Send from my ZTE Warp

Back