Project Ninja

Discussion in 'General talk' started by EvilDragon, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Jaw

Jaw *Real* Arcade Gamer

at least ninja is easy to say and spell! calling it some weird name won't make the product sound as good when compared with the other choices available! the ninja ain't that bad a name tbh, but what it is called is not important at this time!

2. Fishbong

Fishbong man of poor reputation

Child labor is very cheap... so we´ll kidnap Goity, Nova and Sam, that should do the trick...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  3. trooper

trooper Trooper`s watching you !!!

Or called the gizmondo, Which does`nt sound cool, Which ever way you say it. :p

Trooper

4. lek

lek Member

I was thinking that even if the Ninja didn't have a touch panel, one could be soldered directly to the CPU quite easily at a later date.

Then I realised that as it's a BGA CPU that wouldn't really be possible unless some provision was made for attaching a touch panel in the future (i.e. some traces from the CPU touch panel pins to an area on the PCB).

If that were to be done, then you might as well just add a connector for a touch panel onto the PCB...if you're gonna do that, you may as well just add a touch panel :p

I'm only thinking a touch panel would be cool for the options it opens up for games. RTS is the first thing that springs to mind, but already there have been some quite novel uses of the touchscreen on the DS. I can also see how it would be of great use for Window based operating environments as well, although personally I don't think this should be a main reason to add one.

5. Nova

Nova Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha

Sorry, just signed a contract with Disney

6. Blah

Blah Wanna Be Programmer

Go headhunting for cheap teen labor at Mcdonalds. :lol:

7. DaveC

DaveC Internal Development

Yeah building these will be the tough and expensive part. Getting some parts and breadboarding together something that works is one thing, manufacturing final units is another. Making molds for injection molding can cost $20,000-$40,000 just for the mold. Then you have to find somewhere to actually make the parts. Surface mount components will need to be wave soldered and then assembled etc. It is alot of work and cost, it will be interesting to see if this gets any further than a dream.

8. Squidge

Squidge Certified Guru

lek: Mirko has already said that he would like to place all unused pins on some kind of connector to make it easy for "future expansion" :)

9. sam fisher

sam fisher Well-Known Member

how we gonna build this. look im not funding this one too! Gamepark said theres would be a success. All they needed was £500,000 to make a start. Currently i have not yet got a penny back!

10. Goity

Goity VIP Sleaze

would you be able to add something like a magnetic strip and a small screen case so we could cover the screen when not in use?

11. Jarska333

Jarska333 What do you want?

12. finty

finty what is this

You're an idiot.

13. NssOne

NssOne I am One with the DarkNss

OK, I tried reading all of these pages, but I skipped about 10 or so cuz I was getting a headache from it all. Anyways. I don't know how difficult it would be, but as far as the touch screen thing goes, why not just make two different models. You have this 'ninja' basic model and a 'ninja'-ts for a model with a touch screen added to it. I don't know what the real production/programming difference for the two would be like, though. I know it would be difficult to produce in anticipation of who would want which model, but the pre-ordering numbers should help. But hey, it's a thought.

Oh yeah, and I personally vote for a dedicated battery for and RTC also. And how about we be oddball and have like 5 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, plus I guess maybe the start/select buttons.

14. no_skill

no_skill gp2x! bananas! mayhem! mayham!

This project sounds awesome. I hope you don't destroy your market chances by not minding a well designed (optically) handheld.

is there any way to support ninja (ie: donate ;) )?

somethign completely different and far far away: i hope sdl becomes the default api for this handheld... ;) ....no, really; ports and new games galore!

and some other question that come to my mind while reading the planned specs:

why a seperate extension port? i think the small usb host port would be better - only one protocol and well known. (see iriver h320 / 340 for this thingy)

the page says 32mb ram, but a bit down it says 2x32: http://ninja.gp32x.de/index.php?option=com...&id=5&Itemid=27
    i hope for 2x32...

15. OmarNawaz

OmarNawaz Member

mhhh cool idea

are you guys going to be using those gumstixs because they are reallllllly small although I dont think they have a any kinda of display output, though it shouldnt be hard to hack on a controller board of some sort.

16. Squidge

Squidge Certified Guru

shouldn't be hard, no, but they are a tad expensive...

17. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Until the basic electronic design isn't finished, checked and working, no thoughts about the design is being made.

18. Hanz™

Hanz™ FIGHT THE POWER! :D

Is there anymore news on this, Mirko?

19. Jaw

Jaw *Real* Arcade Gamer

yeah, it would be sad to see this die.. i'm sure there's a way to make samsung listen..

20. rabbits with hats

rabbits with hats GP2X

Storm their HQ with 50 men and AK47s and take them hostage killing one man each day until they cave.