Project Ninja

Jaw posted on Jul 28 2005 at 07:45 PM said:
yeah, it would be sad to see this die.. i'm sure there's a way to make samsung listen..
Whats the problem with Samsung?

Last edited by a moderator:
They only listen to companies, not "normal" people.
But I'm gonna try contact them with my company :p

EvilDragon posted on Jul 28 2005 at 04:40 PM said:
lol, good idea. But if that doesn't work can we PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEE try rabits_with_hats idea? :p

Edit: I just realized that... IT'S MY 100th POST w00t!!! :D

Now I'm gonna go celebrate LOL.

EvilDragon posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
Ahhh I see, they don't want to co-operate with him.
hmmmmm....

Are there any other LCD makers that have similar specs what about the Taiwanese screen in the BLU+?
Does anyone know who makes that?

EvilDragon posted on Jul 30 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
The LCD isn't the major problem - the processor is from Samsung!
Oh I see.
Pester them then.
Why exactly don't they want to do this.
I presume as long as they have reason to believe they will be payed there shouldn't be a problem should there?

There problem isn't with being payed. There problem is that unless you tell them how many thousands you are expecting to use in a year, they are not interested. Selling a 100 to someone isn't worth it to them, but go to them with an order for 10,000 and they'll be back to you within the hour (probably sooner!).

It's for this reason I think we are going about this the wrong way. Sure, it's a Samsung part, but why not look for it elsewhere? Samsung have distributors all over the world, and some of these will sell in smaller quantites. Of course, the distributors will charge more than Samsung, but since Samsung don't want to deal with us, it could be the only way of purchasing the required IC's.

That would still boost the cost per unit higher..... Only a bit, but still...

Not to mention eventually Samsung will probably get back to him eventually. They are professionals.

Squidge posted on Jul 30 2005 at 02:51 PM said:
There problem isn't with being payed. There problem is that unless you tell them how many thousands you are expecting to use in a year, they are not interested. Selling a 100 to someone isn't worth it to them, but go to them with an order for 10,000 and they'll be back to you within the hour (probably sooner!).

It's for this reason I think we are going about this the wrong way. Sure, it's a Samsung part, but why not look for it elsewhere? Samsung have distributors all over the world, and some of these will sell in smaller quantites. Of course, the distributors will charge more than Samsung, but since Samsung don't want to deal with us, it could be the only way of purchasing the required IC's.
The longer we wait the more this thing loses momentum and dies.

:ph34r:

Squidge posted on Jul 30 2005 at 07:51 PM said:

Hmmm, a small increase in price would be nothing to cry over.
Does anyone know where to buy Samsung CPUs?
(they are not exactly something you can google for).

Edit: You can't always have to buy in such large quantities, otherwise what would people do if they wanted to make a prototype and weren't sure on the final design. They wouldn't waste their money on 10,000.

In that case you'd say you would require 10,000 per annum, but would like 10 - 100 samples for prototyping and feasibility study.

I've asked around at a few places we use at work - lets see what comes back.

Squidge posted on Jul 31 2005 at 11:45 AM said:

Cool, thanks :)

Last edited:
loz_the_guru posted on Jul 31 2005 at 02:26 PM said:
What about emailing samsung asking for a list of re-sellers whod deal with smaller amount? The price surely wont go up by that much, will it?

The main problem now is, that i want to use ALL Parts from Samsung, only the Soundchip is from Phillips. So we need a producer who can build ouer board. It will not help getting some samples of the CPU, couse its not possible to test something with it. The fbga layout is so small that it is only possible for professionals to assemble it to some kind of board. So tha main problem is now, who can manufacture and assemble the main board with all chips on it. The Design is now to 80% ready, and could be transmitted.

So the question is, where can we get the parts ? And who can assemble them ?

i know a some modchip producers, i allready asked them, give me the shematics i pas them over and they see what they can get/do.

Jarska333 posted on Jul 31 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
What kind of company would be required to do the casing? :huh:
Yeah I wonder about that too, I consider getting the casing right to be quite difficult to do, to be honest.

i think the getting the casing would be a lot easier than working out the internals issue.

so now the issue is the board assembly?

EvilDragon posted on Jul 31 2005 at 11:40 AM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 31 2005 at 11:45 AM said:

Cool, thanks :)

Replies have come back. Pretty much the same from both companies, so I'll just quote the first:

"We are sorry but at this time we have NO-STOCK available on the parts you requested."

:(

Back