Preparing for a Prototype

The Americas popularize deep frying things, but they aren't necessarily the ones who created them.
Deep fried ice cream, for example, comes from Japan. Deep fried Mars bars are Scottish.

Deep fried ice cream is good stuff. However, I do need to question claimed Japanese origins. Creating it pretty much requires modern refrigeration. You need to freeze the scoop of ice cream coated in crushed cereal down to about -20*C prior to deep frying it. What I think of when I hear the term, anyway, has a lot more in common with what would have been presented at the Chicago Worlds Fair.

Deep fried sticks of butter are an actual thing at the Iowa State Fair. As are deep fried Oreos, Pickles... the list goes on from there.

Is Japanese technology not sufficiently advanced?
Before the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1893? I doubt sub-zero refrigeration was commonplace in Japanese tempura restaurants in 1893. It wasn't commonplace anywhere yet. There were a few industrial applications of refrigeration by then for making ice and keeping beef cold in rail cars and ships, but even those were pretty few and far between.

Yet Ice cream has been around way before modern refrigeration...

True - and yes you can get something 'pretty cold' by melting ice with salt. Cold enough to make Ice Cream isn't quite cold enough to make it stable enough to survive a deep oil fry 'in tact'. The core of the ice cream scoop needs to be cold enough to re-freeze the outer layer faster than the hot oil can melt it. Granted these things are only deep fried for about 10-30 seconds.

True - and yes you can get something 'pretty cold' by melting ice with salt. Cold enough to make Ice Cream isn't quite cold enough to make it stable enough to survive a deep oil fry 'in tact'. The core of the ice cream scoop needs to be cold enough to re-freeze the outer layer faster than the hot oil can melt it. Granted these things are only deep fried for about 10-30 seconds.
I've never seen deep fried ice-cream let alone ate it, but I assume like other things you fry like fish, tempura and mars bars, you batter it first. It's the batter that cooks, the inside just melts slightly at least in the case of the fried mars bar.

I've never seen deep fried ice-cream let alone ate it, but I assume like other things you fry like fish, tempura and mars bars, you batter it first. It's the batter that cooks, the inside just melts slightly at least in the case of the fried mars bar.

In US restaurants where I have seen this done, there is no batter. You take a relatively 'normal' scoop of ice cream about the size of a tennis ball and roll it in mashed up corn flakes until it is fully covered. That coated ball of ice cream gets placed on a wax papered cookie sheet and stuck in a deep freeze at roughly -30*C overnight (or longer) to freeze into a concrete like hardness. When a customer places an order, one of these nearly rock hard frozen ice cream balls covered in corn flakes is pulled from the freezer set in a fry basket, dunked down into 220*C oil for about twenty seconds, transferred from the basket to a bowl, covered in hot chocolate syrup, topped with a single candied cherry and lands on the table within two minutes of that frozen ball leaving the deep freezer. There is no 'melt' inside. Anything near the crust has either been browned by the deep fryer or re-frozen by the time it hits the table.
[doublepost=1570051473,1570051335][/doublepost]
Did you really need to prove to me, that I can be made sick textually? *afk*

I have never eaten one.
https://www.eater.com/2011/8/10/666...k-of-butter-on-a-stick-at-the-iowa-state-fair

This is indeed thorough preparation! Winter-warming snacks that can be eaten in one hand while holding your Pyra in the other :)

I'm now wondering if I can find some deep fried ice-cream while I'm in Japan :) (I've never come across it this side of the world)

May whe please come back to topic, si l vou plait ?? , I know some of the Citizen of diverent Countrys got wyrd Eating Culture, , expect the Germans, whe eat Sauerkraut and Sausage everytime, even on Breakfast....

I would like to continue to read from Grench s Adventures as a Prototyphe Preeorderer, thats quite interessting,

Back