Preparing for the countdown...

The anticipation for the Pyra boosted my desire to create games.

I learned a little bit SDL2 and made with "Slay The Dragons" a first small 2D game, that will hopefully run on the Pyra.

At some point I also want to learn some 3D art/programming. But my progress on that matter is very slow.

This^

How did I forget about this? Yes. I certainly want to try to get into making some 2d games, and the Pyra would be a great little device to target. It's almost a shame it's going to be standard Linux. There's something special lost when a given machine isn't a snapshot in time like Nintendo, or even older Apple systems and DOS.

Mehbe it's not FOSS, but pico-8, or something like it, could be a lot of fun on a Pyra.

Edit:

So I found this: https://tic.computer/create
and this: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82913

Last edited:
I don't know why I didn't really think about it, but writing games on and for the Pyra could be awesome. Especially to take full advantage of the controls, keyboard and sensors... I'm sure it's been discussed, but is there a recommended game engine for that purpose for the Pyra?

I've started watching One Lone Coder on YouTube, who has some really good videos on game writing.

Maybe an example would help. I am using a Pyra keymat photo that ED posted up as my avatar. But damnit, the boards avatar load engine auto-clipped the sides and left a result with eyebrows, eyes, nose... it anthropomorphized so neatly.

Hah! Never noticed! Can't unsee :)

I'm sure it's been discussed, but is there a recommended game engine for that purpose for the Pyra?

I never used a real game engine, but I think the Godot Engine could be the best choice to write ambitious games for Pyra. As far as I know it is already ported to the Pandora.

Edit: Just saw, that there is some trouble with the latest version, but version 3.1 could work again ( https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/godot-game-engine-goes-open-source.73670/page-2 ).

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been discussed, but is there a recommended game engine for that purpose for the Pyra?

If you are looking to rock 2d games, love2d (https://love2d.org/) is worth checking out.

Also, as mentioned, godot (https://godotengine.org/) is pretty cool. I hear lots of great things, but I haven't really tried much in it myself, just watched some tutorials on it.

Godot is great! I love its take on game structure using nodes: everything is classes and trees and inherited from something else and the whole thing makes sense to me.
I'd love to actually have the time to sit down and learn to use it properly one day.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Godot indeed looks very good, although I'll likely stick with simpler 2D engines, at least to begin with. Love2D looks good :)

Godot is a 2D engine. It is also a 3D engine but you don't have to use it.

Godot is a 2D engine. It is also a 3D engine but you don't have to use it.

I noticed that. Looking more closely it seems very much overkill for my needs.

I just want to play around with c++, and get a good grounding in the basics. That it supports multiple languages and has it's own editor is not of particular interest to me, and may be more distracting than helpful.

I could see it being ideal to many others though.

Apparently he does - which is what I would like to understand. If those companies were to post advertising here and splash their logos all over the site there would be an uproar. I am not upset that he is doing it - I just find it to be very odd behavior and would like to understand the why he is doing it. What motivates someone to name their online self after a commercial product or brand?

Maybe an example would help. I am using a Pyra keymat photo that ED posted up as my avatar. But damnit, the boards avatar load engine auto-clipped the sides and left a result with eyebrows, eyes, nose... it anthropomorphized so neatly. And I was heavily involved in the chaos that was the keyboard threads. And the boards changed software - resulting in my old icon image of my dog looking at the camera with his tongue hanging out going away - then someone bugged me to get a forum image to make the voice of posts easier to track - and the keymat kind of made sense in a twisted way. The 'why' of my forum avatar.

So - with @ThinkPad and his use of commercial branding, I'm curious as to, 'why'? He's not the only one. We also have a @SONY and probably others that aren't coming to mind. SONY I thought I 'kind of got' because of a mental connection between SONY - Playstation - Gaming - Pyra. I'm lost on the ThinkPad connection to the Pandora/Pyra community though.

>HUR DUR
>I am not upset that he is doing it
>why he is doing it
>commercial branding
>I'm curious as to, 'why'?

Calm down, I just love good hardware.

>HUR DUR
>I am not upset that he is doing it
>why he is doing it
>commercial branding
>I'm curious as to, 'why'?

Calm down, I just love good hardware.

You seem defensive.

I too am curious as to the motivation behind your behavior. Less so the commercial branding, more so the reason you'd decide to do something so rude as to paraphrase something Grench said as "HUR DUR", when his post was respectfully asking a question, and not demeaning or insulting to you in any way. I have noticed a pattern of this sort of thing, and I do not understand it.

Grench is not attacking you my friend, you can safely retract your claws. We are all interested in technology and we all want the Pyra to succeed and be amazing. This means that you and I have more in common than 99% of my "offline" friends, and thus we should get along famously. I do disagree with your negative view on ED's transparency or perceived lack thereof, but I also love to argue. Therefore, taking (what I see as) an unreasonable position just makes me enjoy your point of view all the more. In fact if it wasn't for the personal attacks and derogatory name-calling you would be one of my favorite forum members. However, when an autistic person replies that he is offended at your derogatory use of the term "autistic screeching", the correct response is an apology, not to double-down.

[doublepost=1551213346,1551213277][/doublepost]Sorry for that derail, I lost track of the topic.

I am doing nothing to prepare for the Pyra, except saving up money for it and for the accessories to max out its usefulness.

Last edited:
I think mucking about with OpenMorrowind on Pyra will be my main thing, to begin with.

Are there any video game characters that are retro and well-known, but that don't have some bloodthirsty legal team behind their trademark, that I could use for an open-source thingy avatar? Commander Keen maybe?

You seem defensive.

I don't care at all
Why should I care if someone is "offended" by the reality? And the reality, my friend,... Pyra is not coming anytime soon.
Like it or not this is a FACT.

So in order to be on the topic, I am not preparing... there is nothing to prepare for at this point.

Best Regards,

After looking at the Exagear thread (for which I was completely oblivious, and apparently already too late to get a license for anyway), I do now have an interest in checking out pitSeb's Box86 and see what it may be capable of.

Reactions: rSl
Looking more closely it seems very much overkill for my needs
Yeah, it's very feature heavy, easy to get lost in the sauce. Like I said, I just really like they way it structures a "scene", very intuitive to my particular brain but I can see why it may not be for others.
Good luck, hopefully you complete something fun that you'll want to share one day :)

1. I copied my i3 configuration and modified it to suit pyra.
2. Made a bash script to use as phone dialer, it uses rofi (can be replaced with dmenu too), and simple text file for contacts list.
Here is the script

Code:
#!/bin/bash
shopt -s lastpipe
contacts_file=~/contacts.txt
rofi -dmenu -location 1 -l 10 -width 100 -font "Inconsolata 14" -p contacts_list  < "$contacts_file" | read -a "name"
[[ ! $name ]] && exit
[[ ${name[1]} ]] && echo -e "${name[1]}\n${name[2]}\n${name[3]}\n${name[4]}\n${name[5]}"  |  rofi -dmenu -location 1 -l 10 -width 100 -font "Inconsolata 14" -p ${name[0]} | read "number"
[[ ! ${name[1]} ]] && export number=${name[0]}
[[ ! $number ]] && exit
echo -e "call\nsms"  |  rofi -dmenu -location 1 -l 10 -width 100 -font "Inconsolata 14" -p $number | read "order"
case $order in
    call) call $number ;;
    sms) sms $number ;;
esac

Contacts file goes like this
Code:
<name>     <number1>      <number2>

"call" and "sms" will be replaced with actual commands that pyra os provides, I hope they are scriptable.

Back