Preparing for a Prototype

The best name I'm aware of was Rolls Royce's Silver Mist
I wonder how long it took them to understand why the Germans couldn't stop laughing about that name... Surprisingly, the story about the Silver Shadow's original name is not even mentioned in the Wikipedia articles of either languages.

The Americans failing hard at trying to pronounce Touareg was also pretty hilarious, though.

I wonder how long it took them to understand why the Germans couldn't stop laughing about that name... Surprisingly, the story about the Silver Shadow's original name is not even mentioned in the Wikipedia articles of either languages.

The Americans failing hard at trying to pronounce Touareg was also pretty hilarious, though.
They really wanted to name that car SILVER MIST!?!? xD Lul and yes, I'm german. However, we still have the Mitsubishi i-MiEV and for everyone who knows german, that name just smells wrong for a clean energy E-car. :D
I know that naming cars is a critical task since basicly every name the Companies come up with in a certain country, is an insult in another country. "Mitsubishi Pajero" sounds OK in some languages, in other languages "Pajero" afaik means something like "fapper" or so. :oops:

If Grench gets his proposed mainly mid grey unit as specified, we can name it silver mist if he agrees.
Looking at the pictures of it, I am inclined to call it, "Granite Grey". There are some sparkly quartz looking bits in it. Maybe once I have it in hand my opinion on the color name might change?

Car name failure: Chevrolet Nova. Pronounced No - Va. In Spanish this translates to, "Doesn't Go".
Car name success: Volkswagen Thing. One of very few convertible four door cars to have any 'cool' factor. They really need to re-release the Thing as an all wheel drive hybrid.

I think my favorurite car name mistake is Toyota's MR2, which to the French can sound a little like 'emmerder' (em-err-deux).

The VW Thing was known as the VW Trekker in the UK, and was localised into a number of different names in different countries.

Eh, and I'd like there to be as few as possible shitty hybrids released going forward. They were fine for proving to people that electric drivetrains work, but nowadays carrying around heavy batteries and a heavy steel engine block as well strikes me as pretty dumb.

Eh, and I'd like there to be as few as possible shitty hybrids released going forward. They were fine for proving to people that electric drivetrains work, but nowadays carrying around heavy batteries and a heavy steel engine block as well strikes me as pretty dumb.

Then maybe an all-electric version would be better as a 'city car' where aerodynamics don't mean anything. I could see that as long as they don't blow it by changing the body style.

Yeah, I reckon you might have to raise the seats slightly, because the most sensible place to put electric batteries is under the floor, for low center of gravity reasons. But that'd leave the bonnet free for luggage, which might be nice.

Yeah, I reckon you might have to raise the seats slightly, because the most sensible place to put electric batteries is under the floor, for low center of gravity reasons. But that'd leave the bonnet free for luggage, which might be nice.

Maybe not - I rode in a Tesla Model 3 the other day and it's seats sat pretty low. Where the entire driveline would be gone, there should be plenty of room in the overall design.

The idea here is to have a fun car that happens to be electric. The Tesla 3 is pretty much a nice tablet with a minimalist car wrapped around it. Don't get me wrong, they're nice enough - but the styling was developed in a wind tunnel - and looks pretty much like a smaller version of every car developed in a wind tunnel in the last 6 years. It lacks the goofy factor that an electric VW Thing would have.

True, the tesla 3 battery pack looks to me a few inches thick, and looks to be centred about half way around the plane of the wheel axles. I don't know what the floor of the Trekker is actually like, but if it's anything like a Mini Moke it's basically a sheet of steel on the axle plane. Depends if you need all those batteries for a city car though, probably not. The Moke has box girder that you step over to climb into the seats, for ridigity, and you could fill those with batteries and probably get enough miles out of just that. If the Trekker is more car like, it'll have a tunnel inside the passenger compartment that you could also fill with batteries.

Regarding the name, in English a trekker is just anyone who treks. Or maybe these days a fan of Star Trek, but I'm pretty sure everyone called them trekkies back then.

Last edited:
in other '81-ish news, in germany the commodore vic 20 was renamed vc 20, because vic could sound like the "f**k" word in german.
they also piggybacked on volkswagen and sold the vc as an "volkscomputer".

i also used to think of Teslas as looking like robot turds. but you can't argue with the range they have compared to similar offerings. they are also really fun to drive. although if you're like me you will get up to the speed limit very quickly and then be disappointed you can't feel more of the acceleration.

also, going downhill or braking recharges your car, which makes sense from physics, and makes you realize how inefficient gas cars are...

Last edited:
You should look up the English translation for Nederduits. Aren't your West Frisian people speaking it as well?

We're "all" speaking nedersacksisch and please don't call us/me west frisian...

Nedersaksiese_taalgebied.png

and please don't call us/me west frisian...
Your West Frisian people, as in: your fellow Dutchmen in the eastern Netherlands. I neither generalized nor addressed you in particular as being part of that ethnic group. Though I see now that there being a region in a different part of the Netherlands with the same name offers some reason for confusion...

For the record: The Interfrisian Counsil officially splits the coastal region of Frisia into West, East and North Frisia.

Would you prefer a generalization with Holland? Some girl from Amsterdam I was talking to some years ago insisted on calling her country Holland, because "Half of the world already calls us Holland, so just stick with it" :oops:

Last edited:
So I'm confident enough in ED sending me a prototype soon that I'm starting to put together my pieces and parts that I plan to use with it.

Docking station:
Code:
Hub with 6 USB 3.0 ports, one 2.4A USB charging port, a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and a 36W power brick:
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKZLZXL[/URL]
Cables to connect the Pyra over USB 3.0 micro B OTG to the hub:
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E1OF8FC[/URL]
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPT4FGQ[/URL]
Cable to go from the hub's charging port to the Pyra's microUSB port:
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFZDQP6[/URL]
Cable to connect from the Pyra's microHDMI port to an HDMI monitor:
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6H8RGI[/URL]
Cable for just in case I want to see the Pyra as a device and/or charge it from the USB C port on a laptop:
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCCQVBN[/URL]
Don't ask me why the boards are now wrapping URL flags around stuff in CODE flagged sets. Changing what gets put into CODE blocks is just stupidity at it's finest. My biggest gripe about modern software is that it insists on doing things and changing things when I didn't bloody well ask it to - even when I go to great lengths to try to convince it not to.

Between that and buying an Avegant Glyph, my Pyra-oriented toy budget is pretty well taken out - and then some.

But, my plan above is to test the Pyra with this type of hardware and see if it will work. I don't even know what the internal USB Ethernet adapter is in that USB hub, but hopefully I'll be able to discover that once I have it hooked up.

The wait is nearly done. The fun is just beginning.

Back