Prepare for the next level

I own a Nokia 5800 with a greatly bulged battery (it almost doesn't fit now inside the case) and also a much older SonyEriccson T610 that also had this problem. I own also a Nokia N80 that didn't suffer this problem, dunno why sometimes batteries get fat and other times they don't.

Please tell me, that you do not press these time bombs against your head.
I think it would probably first start to burn and stink before it explodes so you would have time to throw it away - wouldn't it? :)
*sniff sniff*

Fire in the hole!

mobile-phone-throwing-world-championships-652x365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just the source for the kernel module, which is normally provided so you can actually upgrade the kernel. Most of the actual driver functionality is still implemented in a userspace binary blob.

Getting back to the D-Pad, I bet you guys thought about using a Nintendo-style D-Pad, since the patent ran out in 2005. What was your decision on that front?

Getting back to the D-Pad, I bet you guys thought about using a Nintendo-style D-Pad, since the patent ran out in 2005. What was your decision on that front?
I don't know what is wrong with the Pandora dpad. It is perfect imho. Even dpads from nintendo products are not really superior to it.

My opinion: keep what you know is good and can be produced reliably. Don't experiment with stuff that could make something worse.

I agree with mcobit. Pandora's Dpad's completely fine, it does the job all the time. I can't find anything wrong with it without getting into the really opinionated area.

Pyra may be better with a micro swtich stick for fighting games, but it will not magically make the experience better; and from my experience, micro switches produced outside of Japan are not suitable for a device this small. Many of them are too stiff, and they are hard to get in small quantity.

My only issue with the Pandora's d-pad is that it's made out of plastic significantly weaker than my fingernails. Hence, I've got a line towards the middle of my d-pad from pressing down when I haven't cut my fingernails in the last couple of days. Mind you, my DS-lite has a shiny patch to the upper left of the d-pad on the case itself for similar reasons, and my Pandora doesn't have that problem.

My only issue with the Pandora's d-pad is that it's made out of plastic significantly weaker than my fingernails. Hence, I've got a line towards the middle of my d-pad from pressing down when I haven't cut my fingernails in the last couple of days. Mind you, my DS-lite has a shiny patch to the upper left of the d-pad on the case itself for similar reasons, and my Pandora doesn't have that problem.
Never happened to me (while I scratched the shifter of my bicycle to the point of looking like a well used cutting board within a week of buying it -.-).
I guess it depends on how you press it.

Yes my thumbs never move off center, I can't see how you would have scratches unless you are lifting up your thumb off the control. That seems weird to me.

Yeah, looking at it it's from times where I've just dabbed the down button, when I'm scrolling through history in the terminal for example. In game where my thumb's normally in the middle of the d-pad, my thumb's fairly flat, but if I'm holing the unit for easier access to the keyboard, I swing it down to be supported more by my ring finger and come at it with my thumb in a more vertical position.

On my DS-lite though, I just got that case mark through normal use, which is one reason not to go for a Nintendo-style d-pad.

Circle DPad > Cross DPad

See, my only issue with the Pandora's Dpad is that it is too rigid. I feel if it had a little more give, like a Saturn pad, it would be more pleasing to use. Note, I am not advocating on making the it looser like the Saturn pad, (I would not mind this, but this is not what I am suggesting) but merely to use a softer plastic and/or rubber for the dpad itself.

-God Ginrai

See, my only issue with the Pandora's Dpad is that it is too rigid. I feel if it had a little more give, like a Saturn pad, it would be more pleasing to use. Note, I am not advocating on making the it looser like the Saturn pad, (I would not mind this, but this is not what I am suggesting) but merely to use a softer plastic and/or rubber for the dpad itself.
This would make it look like shit after a few weeks for people who use it in a way in which the finger nails touch the dpad.

This would make it look like shit after a few weeks for people who use it in a way in which the finger nails touch the dpad.
I didn't say use something that was easier to damage, just something that had more give. I even suggested the possibility of Rubber. None of my Sega Saturn controllers (neither my originals or my USB ones) have any such damage to their Dpad.

-God Ginrai

my iCP dpad "fell off", I had to glue it back on, it didn't happen on the pandora yet, didn't know if it was the same general design, if so replacement dpads for cases like it wearing down might be a good item to have as replacement option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back