Populated Mainboards

Preordering a Pyra for christmas would be great marketing move. I hope Dr. Schaller and ED will have the Prototype finished until Christimas and have all needed parts found.

It would be cool to hook up the pyra to an oculus rift, to make a good virtual boy emulator.

Wow, I'm away for a while and look and behold! Things are coming along very nicely.

We got multiple populated main PCB Rev. 3 now.

They are not fully finished yet - the Wifi module is still undecided (we still have 2 to evaluate) and we didn't populated the 3G chip on all of them.
Mind sharing, what is making the Wifi module choice hard?

Open or closed code on the userspace part, blob or non blob, space on the board, power consumption, powersaving features, master mode and other features

There are many things to consider

find one that actually connects to your access point without being in line of sight and further away than 20 feet away and transfer more than 200kbps

or be like my first one and not create a constant drain on the battery that wouldn't give me more than 24 hours on standby

I kid... sorta

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Ed. Christmas 2014 is the release date right? :) Can't wait. I keep checking this board everyday and every hour :)
Preordering a Pyra for christmas would be great marketing move. I hope Dr. Schaller and ED will have the Prototype finished until Christimas and have all needed parts found.
A Christmas release date would be kinda funny, with Pyra being developed by Dr.Nikolaus ... get it? :D

You probably all seen the latest pictures of the PCB, but as I visited Nikolaus today and grabbed some things for the GamesCom, I've made some nice photos for you :)

attachicon.gif
DSC02048.JPG

This is the main PCB with the Dummy CPU PCB beside it.

attachicon.gif
DSC02051.JPG

And the other side of the main PCB.
I really hope that micro-USB port is held down with more than just two solder points...

Is the 3D Driver working allready?
 Yes. With fbturbo in fullscreen mode and drm in windowed mode as well.
it'a all about wayland now, got any info on that?
Wayland is supported by TI, but as long as it's not a full X.Org replacement, we won't use it.

Additionally, we always want to support standard X as well, as Wayland always uses the GPU which increases the power usage.

And finally, using the framebuffer for stuff like SDL or PCSX / PicoDrive is not possible with Wayland and DRM - and it's way faster if we can use it directly.

You probably all seen the latest pictures of the PCB, but as I visited Nikolaus today and grabbed some things for the GamesCom, I've made some nice photos for you :)

attachicon.gif
DSC02048.JPG

This is the main PCB with the Dummy CPU PCB beside it.

attachicon.gif
DSC02051.JPG

And the other side of the main PCB.
I really hope that micro-USB port is held down with more than just two solder points...
There's six big pads under the connector:
Those are soldered too right?

Back