Preorders

Nor I (obviously) :).

Thats said, it wouldn't exactly be a fair method, to say the least. And it would also ensure that several prolific members from more recent times who really ought to get a unit (but may not qualify for the early dev-boards) wouldn't, or at least, would rely heavily on others not buying them.

In particular, the GP2x coders (as opposed to the GP32 ones) who don't qualify for the MK0 first 100, and people who have started to enter from other scenes (but with big ideas and powerful compilers) would be left in the cold.

Doing it by time of signing up to the mailing list is indeed probably the fairest.

I think giving a preference to developers in the preordering for the first 3000 would be a good thing. More developers = more software = more chance of it getting popular and generating interest enough for a new batch.
Also I happen to be a developer... :D

I still think it's a bit silly to have absolutely no advanced notification on the preorders. I'd hate to have it happen where I go to check my e-mails and, lo and behold, a preorder link is there out of the blue one day and I've missed my opportunity. It just feels too, I dunno, random to me. If there were a week's notice for the preorder date, as most products do for such releases, than the recieving of the Pandora would be based on desire alone; if you really wanted one, you'd sit there all day waiting for the link to show up. If not, then you'd miss out. I'm by no means a veteran here, but if you ask me, the only "fair" way to have the system released is not based on amount of time spent here, developer or not, etc., but instead just sheer desire to own a Pandora.

I say everyone quit complaining... You'll get one when you get one. If they sell out so fast be happy for the community it can only mean good things. And when you do finally get one there will be some good emulators and apps finished to go with it.

Yes, just send us an email and we'll preorder! If some of us miss out, then tough!

Yes, it certainly would be nice (from our point of view) to give the "OG" members the first crack at ordering. In reality, I doubt it will be much of an issue. I'll be very surprised if the first batch sells out in less than a week. It may take a couple months. Sure, site statistics may show a few hundred lurkers poking around the forums and looking for Pandora info. That does not mean every single one of them will be purchasing a Pandora from the first batch. Even if everybody who is lurking is legitimately interested in buying, does the forum even get 3000 uniques per week?

Anybody who really wants one of the first batch and checks this site daily will have no trouble getting one.

I've always been somewhat interested in the GP2x but as a PSP owner I never really felt the need to buy one and become actively involved with the community. However I am very interested in the Pandora project and would like to acquire one as soon as possible. People like me should be given preorder priority since it would obviously be the best way to expand the community. :D

Chip said:
Yes, it certainly would be nice (from our point of view) to give the "OG" members the first crack at ordering. In reality, I doubt it will be much of an issue. I'll be very surprised if the first batch sells out in less than a week. It may take a couple months.

You think so? Perhaps I'm just over-exaggerating the hype then, you'd know better than I. It's just when I look at all the hype on Engadget over it, and then see it at other forums I visit like Benheck, it just seems to me that more than just members or even lurkers here are going to try their hands at getting one right off the bat.

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
You think so? Perhaps I'm just over-exaggerating the hype then, you'd know better than I. It's just when I look at all the hype on Engadget over it, and then see it at other forums I visit like Benheck, it just seems to me that more than just members or even lurkers here are going to try their hands at getting one right off the bat.
Absolutely. The comments on Engadget / Gizmondo forums / BenHeck are far from universally positive. A lot of people have already invested in a PSP or Gizmondo or Iphone and they're just not interested in upgrading. Others say it looks interesting, but they're not buying it until it's been around for a while and the reviews are positive.

If you spend a lot of time on a forum like this where almost everybody is enthusiastic about something, you'll start to think that everybody everywhere is enthusiastic about it. Trust me, that's not the case. If the Pandora was sell-out-on-the-first-day popular, then it would be on the front page of Digg every time some new bit of news came out. As it stands, it hasn't even been close once. The general public isn't really ready for something like this.

prairiefire said:
having an RSS feed for the pandora section of these boards would make it easier to keep up to date on the status of preorders
Yes please. +1

Back