Preorders

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
If this is a forbidden question because it deals with the actual Pandora release, then please lock this thread and shun me all you want. :lol: But I've been thinking about exactly how these preorders will work. I'm assuming it's on a first come, first serve basis, but will the reserve be free, or have some kind of down payment? Or perhaps you'll have to pay anything and everything up front?

I know this is all purely speculatory at this point, and though the release may be a bit far off, the preorder is, I think, closely approaching and a viable subject of discussion. Again, if I'm wrong, I'm sorry to have posted this, I'm just thinking out loud.

I hope everyone who wants one can get one. I hope whatever pre-order method used will go smoothly for everyone.

Beyond that... You can talk about it, sure. No problem. But as you said it's just speculation (unless Craig comes along and gives concrete details of course).

My only hope about preoders is that if there are more than 3000 willingers, the first batch will be large enough to cover the demand. But if the the 3000 figure is fixed in stone and cannot be changed I would like to hear what mechanism will be used to chose whom to include in the premium league and who does not deserve to have the :pandora1: from the first batch. :)

_VWV_ said:
My only hope about preoders is that if there are more than 3000 willingers, the first batch will be large enough to cover the demand. But if the the 3000 figure is fixed in stone and cannot be changed I would like to hear what mechanism will be used to chose whom to include in the premium league and who does not deserve to have the :pandora1: from the first batch. :)
My thoughts exactly! :p I'm assuming that the 3,000 unit initial production run is limited to just those units. Seeing as getting your hands on one of these will be fairly competitive, it would at least be nice to know how preorders will be handled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine that, as with anything, money will talk. Keep an eye on these pages, and when the announcement is made, make your order before the news hits Engadget etc. If you read these boards you'll have the jump on everyone else, and you can't ask for much more advantage than that.

hey

Yea it would suck if retailers accept more preorders than they have systems, and make alot of folks wait until the next batch instead of letting them try order elsewhere.

Does anyone know if this is a common practise used by retailers? does anyone know of retailers who do this? and those who do not? would be nice to know such things.

edit
It might be smart to email likely retailers and ask if they will do such things, hehe.

Also, is there any information on who is likely to be a retailer of the pandora?

cyas

I hope that Preorders are open to gp32x (and the german / french gp2x / gp32) community members who have been here < 6 months first.

Then i might have a chance of getting one from the first batch before slashdot gets to them!

yosh64 said:
Also, is there any information on who is likely to be a retailer of the pandora?
Has anyone suggested there are going to be any retailers to start with? I assumed from what I'd read in these
forums that it would be websales, and first come first served.

Key your eyes on this forum and the official site, have your credit card (or whatever method of payment they allow) ready and ....
and don't tell too many people just yet - they'll all want one when they can see what it will do ;) . Feel free to publicize like crazy after you get your pre-order logged, thats when we want 200k+ people wanting one so there's a nice sized community. :lol:

Seriously, the reason people want to understand the preorder system is there is already sufficient buzz that 3000 might not be enough to go around (as has been discussed elsewhere). The pocketable computer / touchscreen / usb / wifi recipe gets a lot of non-gamers interested.

Any way, I wonder why there are only 3000 units in the first batch. Why should the devs create kind of a queue around preoders.. Why sholud we propose different parametrs like "you've been around here for less than 6 months so NO way you gona get a unit from the first batch". Just imagine, all the preoders have been taken and it turns out that there are 3001 (three thousand and one) willingers. Lucky someone.. The only reason to make 3000 units in the first batch is risk, that a bug may be present in the hardware. Coz if a problem occurs because of manufacture has failed to follow the instructions from devs or because of the quality being to low - it should not be a problem for devs, coz all the faulty units will be returned to the manufacture. But if there is a bug in the hardware because of devs have made a mistake somewhere, then all the responsibility relies on them. So I think craigx just doesn't want to take too much risk. Maybe that's right.. but I can easily imagine the feelings of the 3001-st in the preoder list. :( Sure craigx will have to draw a line somewhere.. we should find a compromise. :)

I would imagine that craigx would feel so bad for the 3001st person that he would offer to send them a free or heavily discounted one from the second batch, or maybe even hand make one just for that person. Realistically, I think the developers are going to be more careful than to allow extra preorders to go out without a supply to back them up.

Regardless of how they end up doing all this, most of you sound like we'll be throwing up the $330 for the preorder. That's quite a good chunk of dough, and I just want to know what's going to come of it, that's all. Or if it is a limited down payment, it would be nice if we knew the money amount so I could have at least that much sitting in my PayPal account at all times! :D

Perhaps pre-orders should be granted according to how long you've been a member here. Hmm...

Works for me! :p

Prophet said:
Perhaps pre-orders should be granted according to how long you've been a member here. Hmm...

Works for me! :p
I'd be getting one before you, then. :p

But it would also discourage new recruits. So it's probably best to do it the old-fashioned way; sort it out by enthusiasm (that is, announce it on the website and let those who check the most frequently get first shot at it).

Esn said:
it's probably best to do it the old-fashioned way; sort it out by enthusiasm (that is, announce it on the website and let those who check the most frequently get first shot at it).
I need a new F5 key...

We will send out a newsletter to the people on the mailing list on the openpandora homepage saying 'you can now order' and then they can. The emails will go out in the order people signed up to the mailing list.

First come first served.

craigix said:
We will send out a newsletter to the people on the mailing list on the openpandora homepage saying 'you can now order' and then they can. The emails will go out in the order people signed up to the mailing list.

First come first served.
Oh man... when the day comes, it will be BRUTAL!

craigix said:

First come first served.
seriously? So you won't be able to preorder straight from the website then?

Back