Over 3000 Preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuminerdi

So I'm not sure if this will happen, but what if more than 3k people wanted to preorder? Say, 5000 people, instead of 3.

Does anyone know if the preorder batch is "set in stone", or if the number can go up if they get drastically more than 3000 preorders? I'm assuming the answer is no, the first batch is 3000 regardless of how many people want in, but I'd be interested in some confirmation of whether or not that's the case.

I'm suddenly a bit worried that I'll have to wait until 2009 to get one even though I'm going to be there on preorder day.

I would assume it is set to 3000 since that is the number they have said several times now.

Hopefully though, most people who have been waiting will be able to get one and the rest who can wait will, so that it isn't too scarce at launch.

The 3001st person to hit the "purchase" button will no doubt be greated with some kind of "sold out" notice. The 3000 number has been set, quoted, requoted, debated, questioned, reasoned, and reasserted to death. If by some miracle the first 3000 sell out in a day (or even a week!) and you didn't get one, you'll just have to wait like everyone else.
As I understand, Craig et al had to commit to 3000 to get them made: no more, no less.
I for one really hope the first run sells out very quickly. Perhaps if that happens, the second batch will be larger.

I think most of us will want to preorder, but a large number i think will want to wait until more stuff has been made for it.

3000 should be done at launch, i dont think they will go over.

I suppose that they simply have that amount of money to invest in production and components :) After they earn money by selling first batch they will be able to produce more in next batch.

more likely the factory is setup to produce 3000 ... after that they move on to some other product

then for the next batch the factory must be set back up... at least partially

FIFO

Also, i don't expect a 'sold out' notice unless pre-orders went well over the 3000... I imagine the dev team would be very interested to know exactly how many people pre-order over the 3000. This also allows for people cancelling their order.

I'm guessing the number of units to be manufactured has to be known a head of time in order for the goods to be ready for us in the near future. The plant probably has warrants or other deposit guarantees that the raw materials can be purchased a head of time and have the assembly line/staff ready. I would imagine some parts are already being manufactured in bulk.

manufacturing lead time:

Total time required to manufacture an item, including order preparation time, queue time, setup time, run time, move time, inspection time, and put-away time. For make-to-order products, it is the time taken from release of an order to production and shipment. For make-to-stock products, it is the time taken from the release of an order to production and receipt into finished goods inventory.

What is it with all these pre-ordering threads?

Craig sent a very detailed email, which was quoted in full on the forum. Did any one bother to read it?

There will be 3000, end of. Full details on 30th September. Seems pretty clear, and what we don't know now will be clarified 30th, which also means that if anything changes between now and then they won't have to go back on anything.

FRZ said:
The preorder date for the Pandora is the 30th of September, the Pandora will start shipping
at the end of November.

The first batch will be limited to 3000 units worldwide. The next batch will be made in

Orders will be on a first come first served basis. If demand is too high we will start to
limit the orders to one Pandora per person, although any multiple orders recieved before
that would still be honoured.

The price is $329.99 / £199.99 (Inc VAT) / E249.99 (Inc VAT).

There will be another newsletter on the 30th with ordering information

Last edited by a moderator:
TaG said:
What is it with all these pre-ordering threads?

Remember the school bus analogy?

It's like that.

90% of the questions have been answered already, and the rest could either be figured out with a little common sense or ignored for being irrelevant. But a lot of people are so wound up that they just have to post something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back