Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

Not set up for auto-update, but here's a snapshot: http://p.rdw.se/preorder_stats-snapshot-10-05-2016.txt

Awesome. Thanks!
[doublepost=1463096474,1463095219][/doublepost]
It all depends a bit on why people are not ordering yet.
  • They would if they knew about it.
  • They doubt it will be delivered at all.
  • They are skeptical about its capabilities.
  • They want an ATOM. Here the "existence" of the GPD win hurts a bit. Can be resolved with a board replacement in the future.
  • It is too expensive.

I'm going to guess that a lot of this is probably just that we haven't gotten the word out much yet. Not sure if the list in the "Pyra Media Coverage" thread is up to date, but honestly, I've never heard of most of the sites listed there.

As a bit of background, I don't own a Pandora, and only happened to stumble upon a mention of the Pyra in a forum post somewhere by accident (can't remember what site it was on). That was over a year ago. But I was intrigued enough, and so I bookmarked it and made a point to check back once in a while. But it was totally luck - I even frequent a number of the major technology news sites, and still had never heard of it. But hey, maybe I live under a rock or something. I dunno. It is kinda dark in here, now that I think about it...

Same goes for the GPD WIN. I'd only even heard about that by stumbling into a post on this forum a couple weeks back.

Following that, I'd say it's probably a toss-up between the price, folks who want x86 processors (e.g. to run Steam with or something), and the "what does it do that my phone/tablet/pc doesn't already do?" crowd. (Quite honestly, I think there'd be a market for a handheld Steam console, but that's a different discussion.)

So why did I pre-order one? Well, I guess I just have some kind of fascination with small Linux-based devices... Do I have a planned use-case for it? No, not really. Just tinkering mostly.

I also bought the GCW Zero when it came out, but honestly, I was disappointed with the screen resolution, the fact that the headphone jack only does mono due to a hardware bug, and most importantly... that the only thing you can really do with it is run emulators (which I don't partake in). I was really hoping that there would be an excuse to own/use one besides emulators, but there's just not much there in terms of other games for it.

At least with the Pyra, it's got a nice screen resolution and can run a real version of Linux. Which leaves me a lot of room to potentially do something interesting with it.

Last edited:
As a bit of background, I don't own a Pandora, and only happened to stumble upon a mention of the Pyra in a forum post somewhere by accident (can't remember what site it was on). That was over a year ago. But I was intrigued enough, and so I bookmarked it and made a point to check back once in a while. But it was totally luck - I even frequent a number of the major technology news sites, and still had never heard of it. But hey, maybe I live under a rock or something. I dunno. It is kinda dark in here, now that I think about it...

That leads me to wonder if any sites you do go to for news would be appropriate for us to contact. Any suggestions?

-Neelix

That leads me to wonder if any sites you do go to for news would be appropriate for us to contact. Any suggestions?

The ones I most often frequent are:

* Gizmodo
* Ars Technica
* Slashdot
* Life Hacker
* Wired
* Engadget
* Tech Crunch

Any suggestions on other tech sites to read?

There is no need for the power management to be optimized when the CPU is in sleep mode, I don't think it is managing anything when it's sleeping. I don't think Pyra will be released without a sleep mode.

Sleep mode was indeed a feature planned for OMAP5. But Ti found bugs, so it was descoped. Will we ever get sleep mode on OMAP5? To be continued...

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm interested in preordering a pyra but I'm in the U.S. What sort of import tax are we looking at here if it's shipped from europe?

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm interested in preordering a pyra but I'm in the U.S. What sort of import tax are we looking at here if it's shipped from europe?
You may be charged sales tax for your state, plus some handling fee of up to $20. If you aren't, then you'll be expected to claim it on your income tax next year, but honestly I don't know anyone who isn't a business that does.
As a computing device under $1000 it should be duty-free from Germany, especially if you get the 4G unit and it gets shipped as a phone.

You may be charged sales tax for your state, plus some handling fee of up to $20. If you aren't, then you'll be expected to claim it on your income tax next year, but honestly I don't know anyone who isn't a business that does.
As a computing device under $1000 it should be duty-free from Germany, especially if you get the 4G unit and it gets shipped as a phone.
Oh my god! If the Pyra shipped with keyword "computer", then Chinese cumtoms will charge 1000~3000 RMB ($155~$460) as import tax; if shipped with keyword "phone/pad", the customs will charge even more as import tax.
However, if shipped as "handheld player" or "game player", it will be tax free for import.
@EvilDragon please keep this in mind when you ship Pyra to China.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I never paid anything but shipping when I got my Pandora from ED. And I having it sent to Omaha Nebraska so your good

It's not likely. US customs have never charged me taxes from any country. I live in NYC.

Euro USD is low low low right now. So go go go with the preorder and tell your friends! :)

I wonder, whether the number of preorders will leap up, as soon as it will have reached 665.

Why, did something special happen when the count reached 616?

Last edited:
615, you mean. Not that I know of. But it's less infamous, though, isn't it.

I meant 616, because I figured you meant that it was the number after that one that was the interesting one. I noticed that I left out a word. Adding it doesn't fix it in relation to what you said, so I guess I did mean 615.

It is less infamous, however some feel it may be more accurate. It is hard to know which is "correct" after all the centuries, and what has survived. Although the one you were talking about is more interesting to me (I like repeating numbers, and it has other cool little things going one) I can't use it at all here, even when not related to that religion, because people assume it is a reference to that book/dream. The funny thing is that after looking into things and finding that the other one may be the original I started using it to reference that, and even the super hardcore christians don't understand. The more popular one seems to win out, and it is damned to be associated with that, and you better not talk about things like the price of the Apple 1.

I meant 616, because I figured you meant that it was the number after that one that was the interesting one. I noticed that I left out a word. Adding it doesn't fix it in relation to what you said, so I guess I did mean 615.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/616_(number)
I rather thought about how many may not be ordering yet, because they wait for #665 to be just taken and then try to be next. Next thing you know, we've got 2000 preorders. :)

It is less infamous, however some feel it may be more accurate. It is hard to know which is "correct" after all the centuries, and what has survived. Although the one you were talking about is more interesting to me (I like repeating numbers, and it has other cool little things going one) I can't use it at all here, even when not related to that religion, because people assume it is a reference to that book/dream. The funny thing is that after looking into things and finding that the other one may be the original I started using it to reference that, and even the super hardcore christians don't understand. The more popular one seems to win out, and it is damned to be associated with that, and you better not talk about things like the price of the Apple 1.
Don't know that subject. So, how much is it? You sell it?

@Djoga'Ro When new, the Apple 1 sold for $666.66. Why do you think most people are waiting to try to get #666? Most people I encounter that care about it try to avoid it, and most people in general don't seem to care. Either way, if someone is waiting for that they already missed out. They wouldn't get the serial number of the preorder count, since the first 200 were already claimed. There are still around 65 of those that aren't included in the total. As of right now the serial number count is around 694.

Edit: I don't know if the prototypes get a number as well. Trying for a specific number is difficult. During prepreordering I wanted 111, but everything stalled, so I bought mine when it looked like I would get #110, yet I actually got #109.

The 13th 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

It seems we got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)
18 Pre-orders in the fifth 24 hours (525)
26 Pre-orders in the sixth 24 hours (551)
12 Pre-orders in the seventh 24 hours (563)
10 Pre-orders in the eight 24 hours (573)
17 Pre-orders in the ninth 24 hours (590)
11 Pre-orders in the tenth 24 hours (601)
9 Pre-orders in the eleventh 24 hours (610) - Note , the number would have been higher, however a number of duplicate orders were removed.
11 Pre-orders in the 12th 24 hours (621)
8 Pre-orders in the 13th 24 hours (629)

Note: Daily figures also include converted Pre Pre-orders. As such , actual new pre-orders would be a little less than quoted figures.

@Djoga'Ro When new, the Apple 1 sold for $666.66.
Did not know that, funny. Thought you were talking about THE Apple.

Why do you think most people are waiting to try to get #666?
Exaggeration. I just thought there might be some. I think one particular nick from this forum came to mind and with it the rest.
Originally it was just a fun thought. Then you made a fuss about it. ;P

Most people I encounter that care about it try to avoid it, and most people in general don't seem to care. Either way, if someone is waiting for that they already missed out. They wouldn't get the serial number of the preorder count, since the first 200 were already claimed. There are still around 65 of those that aren't included in the total. As of right now the serial number count is around 694.
Yeah, didn't think of that.

The number is fun, though. Thanks to christians and how they react to it.

Back