Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

So the fourth 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

It seems we got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)

This is where it gets interesting and the community needs to focus on getting the word out in an attempt to entice the hard customers, ie new customers not part of this community and who have not heard of the Pyra (ie not part of the pent up demand which we are chewing through fast)

I want to reorder, but I don't have the password for my account on the site, so I got an e-mail to reset it. But when I click on the link in the e-mail it just takes me to the authentication page. So it doesn't look like I can reset the password. So.. yeah, any help @EvilDragon?

EDIT: Nevermind, a few minutes later I was sent a new e-mail with a new temporary password.

EDIT2: Payment refused by financial institution :( Trying another card...
Get this man a Pyra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lately i have seen some really good made stuff from china. the fiio x1 audio player i got is an example. it is made in china by a chinese company that has the slogan
"raise the reputation of made in china" and it is of really good craftsmanship.:)

I disagree. I have the Fiio X5 (1st gen) and I see very few hallmarks of good craftsmanship. The click wheel wobbles a lot, the unit looks like a billet of metal with a wheel and screen thrown on, it's operation is as clunky as its appearance, the works.

Don't get me wrong, though; the Fiio X5 is the best audio player I've ever owned and will probably ever own. It's only one of the two of my electronics powerful enough to drive my RHA MA-750s and get the bass the way I like it. The Sansa Clip+ will suffice, even though everything sounds a lot more neutral and flat on it.

I still love my Fiio X5. In all its blocky, Chinese glory.

Reactions: rSl
I want to reorder, but I don't have the password for my account on the site, so I got an e-mail to reset it. But when I click on the link in the e-mail it just takes me to the authentication page. So it doesn't look like I can reset the password. So.. yeah, any help @EvilDragon?

EDIT: Nevermind, a few minutes later I was sent a new e-mail with a new temporary password.

EDIT2: Payment refused by financial institution :( Trying another card...

EDIT3: Denied again. I wonder how many other people this is affecting. :| Guess I need a bank wire or Bitcoin. Not really thrilled with either choice. Any recommendations from other USA people?

EDIT4: Okay, scratch that. The first card I tried ended up getting blocked. But when I called to get it unblocked they put in an override to let me make the purchase, so I was finally able to do it. To everyone else who is using a credit card outside of the EU, you may want to call your card holder first.
Same happened to me and im in the eu. I got a text message asking to confirm if id made that transaction. Then the transaction went thru.

So the fourth 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

It seems we got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)

This is where it gets interesting and the community needs to focus on getting the word out in an attempt to entice the hard customers, ie new customers not part of this community and who have not heard of the Pyra (ie not part of the pent up demand which we are chewing through fast)

Quite the drops... May not be long before there are no new orders.

@EvilDragon the link to the "english boards" on the preorder page is dead, and is pointed at boards.openpandora.org. I didn't check the pages for the other models yet, however they are probably the same.

The Fiio E7 had good build quality and decent sound. Since then they have failed a fair few times on the electrical engineering. Trademark 'made in china' trait. Opening and testing electronics made in China can either reveal great things, or mind-bogglingly dangerous, or anything in between.
That is just how it is, and you just gain awareness of it. If it all of a sudden changed there would be an added caveat to the year it happened.

You get a lot of free will by assimilating into convention. I could be the best oboo-maker in the world, but I would get the same benefit of the doubt as a ski-maker in sub Saharan Africa.

Saying a consumer electronic product is 'made in Germany' is not nationalist, then you would maybe say all-though peculiarly "made by a German, in Germany", which however way you want to see it, costs the same at the base level, since you cant sneak-import a lot of foreign workers into Germany. So if you are paying the same as "the doctor that is male", then that is what you have to compete with.

Just as I imagine mechanics made in Switzerland, doesn't imply the French part, because as people will point out to you, "whole different country". Anyone can set up shop there, and it is a tough sell, if only a easy way to be the one who isn't swiss in precision.

'Made in Germany' is a statement, factually so, not something that happens by accident. Certainly with something like laptops, they are currently all made in China(?) So its a very conscious decision. A thought-provoking one at that.

It is implied also that its not done in a sweat-shop with people coming in from other regions to do the work, for no other reason than to save money. That is at-least the regard it is held to and perceived as.
In China the stuff for export is exactly that. Rural farmers coming to the city to make electronics for the export market in much the same fashion slave-labour would be brought into other nearby countries.
Their internal electronics regulations are top notch, so all of a sudden "made in china" needs a qualifier to attest its intended market.

"If you cant talk to the manager, you are not a valued customer" or however the saying goes.
If you aren't a shot-caller in China, your schedule can get pushed back easily. Try that in Germany and its not the same thing. Small customers and service is what GC does. Assembled in Germany means that part of it is on schedule.

To say it doesn't matter where things are made, is just as easy to take in bad faith as stating it, and when it comes down to it, not at all irrelevant.

Your neighbour is as much a 'citizen of the world' as anyone else, but its still part of what makes travel exiting that you accept leaving your door a regional affair. The notion of countries if you will, currently mean cultural differences.

Germany has the best engineering in the world. Something people are aware of. They also know there are bad engineers and good ones in any country, but still, and rightly so, it serves as a frame of reference. ED is goodguy 10/10 on his service, but most people don't know, so you can't go "managed by EvilDragon" and "engineered by hns" and expect it to carry as much weight. Even though it does and more to the ones in the know, and technically covers 100% of intended scope.

ED and hns make mistakes like anyone else. Liking what they do isn't a person cultus, its what they get for being consistent. 'Made in Bavaria' approved.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I've been lurking the boards for almost a year now and since the preorders went up I've been on the edge of sending over the money.
My main concern is the possibility of some hardware defect being overlooked in the preorder run. This is a very large sum of money for me, and if the
chances are good that the final release will improve on the original run, I would rather wait. Could someone more knowledgeable than me help me get
a better feel of how likely that is? Also, what will be the delay between the preorders being shipped and regular orders being accepted?

Certainly with something like laptops, they are currently all made in China(?)
False, at least some Japanese brand laptops made in Japan, and HP Japan homepage shows EliteBook are made in Japan.

Anyway, the Pyra's build quality should be emphasized.
Build quality not only related with "Made in", but also closely link with the designer, engineer and all staffs fundamental and professionalism.

I been watching this forum since the start of the pyra always trying to check it when I can.today i decided I just couldn't resist but to make an account even though I know not too much about computers.I am fascinated with this loyal tribe of people and their king the evil dragon along with Niko and the others .all of you who made this happen it made me want to learn about technology more and computers especially since I am buying soon the 4gb .I love old video games but also value freedom the most and I see what the hive is doing in all aspects of life to take away the freedom.you guys are the resistance in the computer dept. Against the ones who want no freedom in the computer world.I just wanna say thank you to everyone that made this happen and we all have endured waiting this long but it will be for me anyway the end all be all device.I hope you guys as a community and a company prosper and may you never sell out to the real evil people who want to take your rights away.thanks again.this is my first post and possible last post.

@f9kjvppq There are 600+ people getting one first, so a considerable amount and variety of testing knowing some of the people amongst them.

There are also the prototypes going out before any of that.

If something goes wrong with the device, you are covered by warranty.
A hardware defect on one board, means ideally one board can be replaced.

You could save up some more money and look into it.

Preorders are regular insofar as regular goes. Unless you mean pay full amount upfront for item in stock.

@Truthwarrior

I/we can help you get accustomed to devuan/debian, emulation and all the chet baker jazz, after I get some sleep :)

Do I get it right: the production will start anyway and the only thing that is being decieded right now is the size of the batch?

My main concern is the possibility of some hardware defect being overlooked in the preorder run. This is a very large sum of money for me, and if the
chances are good that the final release will improve on the original run, I would rather wait. Could someone more knowledgeable than me help me get
a better feel of how likely that is? Also, what will be the delay between the preorders being shipped and regular orders being accepted?
Welcome. It is a lot of money for me, too (more than I spent on my last 3 smartphones and 2 laptops combined). ED has a great track record of taking care of customers. If there is a bug in the hardware that somehow makes it through the first production run undetected he will try to make it right. He is also trying to make that batch larger than the number of orders, do he might have some on hand and to send to @Link /Ithic (US reseller). You might be able to get one of those if you wait, but they will still be from the first run. Those extras may not happen if there aren't enough preorders. If they do you might want to order immediately, since the Pandora still seeks out almost immediately whenever new ones are added to the shop.

today i decided I just couldn't resist but to make an account even though I know not too much about computers.I am fascinated with this loyal tribe of people and their king the evil dragon along with Niko and the others .
We have people of all different levels of experience with computers, and of those with experience they have knowledge in coherent aspects and fields with this technology. It is a great place to learn, and most people here are happy to answer any technical question you have. Also, I have no king. :p

after I get some sleep :)
What? Why? You can't get anything done when you are sleeping.

This is just weird, the data sheet specifically only mentions the PLS8-E and -US as voice supported and only the PLS8-X and -V as "Verizon APN Class Handling", which should mean something among the lines of Verizon voice support.
I figured it out.
Note on the specifications page it says
Voice Support (HR, FR, EFR, AMR narrowband & AMR wideband) (PLS8-US/-E)
Handsfree speaking (PLS8-US/-E)
Voice Support for LTE via CSFB (circuit-switched fallback) (PLS8-US/-E)
The PLS8 does not support VoLTE, voice over LTE. It falls back (CSFB) on 3G (or less) to send and receive voice calls. Which is fine since that's how most carriers work anyway: it seems very few actually support VoLTE.
But prior to LTE, Verizon was CDMA: the PLS8 CANNOT fall back on their old network. So it can't use the LTE network for voice and it can't use the fallback which it doesn't support so at the very least Verizon would be data only. It's possible that other carriers could still use it for voice as the -US and -E can, but it's also likely that since it was built for Verizon they may have stripped out the voice feature entirely to save money.
The PLS8-V, with only LTE support definitely cannot do voice for anyone, it is strictly LTE data only and not very useful.

Welcome. It is a lot of money for me, too (more than I spent on my last 3 smartphones and 2 laptops combined). ED has a great track record of taking care of customers. If there is a bug in the hardware that somehow makes it through the first production run undetected he will try to make it right. He is also trying to make that batch larger than the number of orders, do he might have some on hand and to send to @Link /Ithic (US reseller). You might be able to get one of those if you wait, but they will still be from the first run. Those extras may not happen if there aren't enough preorders. If they do you might want to order immediately, since the Pandora still seeks out almost immediately whenever new ones are added to the shop.
Indeed thats quite some money. I think it's (beside the novena/pandora) one of the very rare devices I will buy brabd new. (on notebooks I tent to by used busines calss things). But for all the work put in by ED and the community, I simply decited to do it.
As for the ondetected hardware defects:
1. there are the prototype devices in the hands of the developers. So another hardware-detection-run.
2. It's modular, so costs for repair will be one of several parts (3 PCBs, LCD, small parts), which are all easy exchangable
3. From Pandora runs we have learned that in 95% of the events global components will find a fix to not have many "finally" dead boards
That sums up to ma as "worth to be among the first 200"

Back