Release PPSSPP, Emulator for PSP

Hi PtitSeb and all the comunity.. it's my 1st post, and I'd like to congratulate you for your commitment with such an interesting project.  It surely pushes the pandies' hardware to the limit.  Some 3d games are already playable... and there's room for improvement.  I just read this post in the ppsspp forum and it looks auspicious.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=747&page=3

Basically, this Carter07 guy discovered that some PSP games do many unnecessary alpha tests, and it slows considerably games such as Lumines.  Do you think you could add some option to turn on/off these tests? I know it will eventually be treated properly by the ppsspp team, but I'm a little anxious of its performance on our units. ;)

Thanks!

Ah yes, an interresting post ! So yes, everyone that has a powervr has poor performances with most games.

So the trick as been disabled because not safe, so I guess there are games where it doesn't work. In fact, the trick is not disabled, it still in the code, but it's less agressive than initialy.

Here  is the version with the hack back in. No menu to activate/deactivate. It's just in. So be aware it do break some games (MotoGP trees for example, according to the sources).

I've done some quick test.

I see no change on Trail Blazer.

Tales of Eternia seems to benefit from this, with unbuffered and frameskip, the speech part (on the intro) is almost perfect on rebirth.

Puzzle Bubble no change...

Enjoy...

*EDIT* Attachement removed, Build 11 on the repo include the Alpha Hack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very better,clearer Sound,more Sound Effects ingame and i test more,

Video with perfect Tales Of Eternia Intro is Uploading with Battles and Gameplay :D

Good work with this Hack :)

http://youtu.be/GskkINDCqQ8
In combat, we can see some black border around sprites, so the hack is a bit too strong... I guess some more work is needed to have some smarter hack, but it seems like a very valid lead for good optims !

Awesome, PetitSeb! here's my tests results: most of the games seems to gain just a little speed but the hack broke Micro Machines 4... most of the textures are black now  (The game is pretty enjoyable on the regular build. ) .  But, as expected, some profited a lot: Lumines is running at 60fps on my 1 Ghz unit! :)  The PES 2010 gameplay most of the time is above 40 fps.   I`ll save this ppsspp hack to play these games... Thanks a lot!  :lol:

Holy shitsticks! Lumines just went from nauseating chop-city to slightly scratchy enjoyment. Shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin'

I don't know if this falls under a bug: But I noticed that the analog nub north/south direction is swapped.

A lot more games are working than on the compatibility list, only some games there is no sound.

Airu de Puzzle

Densha De Go! Pocket - Chuuousen Hen

Lets Golf (no sound)

Pirates of the Caribbean: at world's end (about 50% speed)

Sid Meier's: Pirates (no sound)

Samurai Dou 2 Portable

Shichida Shiki Training Unou Tanren Portable

Zero Pilot - Daisanji Sekai Taisen

Great work!

I don't know if this falls under a bug: But I noticed that the analog nub north/south direction is swapped.

A lot more games are working than on the compatibility list, only some games there is no sound.

Airu de Puzzle

Densha De Go! Pocket - Chuuousen Hen

Lets Golf (no sound)

Pirates of the Caribbean: at world's end (about 50% speed)

Sid Meier's: Pirates (no sound)

Samurai Dou 2 Portable

Shichida Shiki Training Unou Tanren Portable

Zero Pilot - Daisanji Sekai Taisen

Great work!
That's great !

About analog, I don't use them, but I can reverse the Up/Down inside the code, no problems.

For compatibility, I can copy/paste your repport in the official Forum, or you can do it yourself if you prefer :)

That's a good list of working title :D !

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shitsticks! Lumines just went from nauseating chop-city to slightly scratchy enjoyment. Shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin' shinin'
I was really shocked how well  Lumines  plays. :eek:    :lol:

Going for Lumines 2 . To be downloaded in 2 parts so maybe it will be playable. Combined almost a 800mb download. :blink:    ;)

I will report unless someone beats me to it.

Last edited:

Going for Lumines 2 . To be downloaded in 2 parts so maybe it will be playable. Combined almost a 800mb download. :blink:    ;)

Good but can you please not mention your piracy efforts here.. They're not tolerated.

Good but can you please not mention your piracy efforts here.. They're not tolerated.
Sorry Wally it's just this psp thing made me hyper :wacko:   :lol:  I cannot believe the ability to do this. It is quite an accomplishment!!!!

Will not slip lips again. :p  

:D

Last edited:
I have hacked the hack in the game menu. So you can enable/disable it. I'll upload a build 11 to repo soon.

(I also inverted Up/Down analog, as it seems it was inverted, but I still didn't try that)...

It's done, grab it on the repo.

Build 11

-----------

• Added "Alpha Hack" to Game Menu, to speed up some games (Lumines or Tales Of Eternia for example), but breaks other.
  • Inverted Up/Down on analog input

Enjoy...

It's done, grab it on the repo.

Build 11

-----------

• Added "Alpha Hack" to Game Menu, to speed up some games (Lumines or Tales Of Eternia for example), but breaks other.
  • Inverted Up/Down on analog input

Enjoy...
Thanks ...some improvements especially speed wise . Played above mentioned games on 1ghz model set CPU @900mhz w/default emu settings. Definite difference here  :D  

Last edited:
Hmmm the overclock gpu mentioned before sounds interessting. Do some numbers exist, like overclocking it to 110 or 120 mhz is safe? Can the gpu realy be destroyed this way?

Hmmm the overclock gpu mentioned before sounds interessting. Do some numbers exist, like overclocking it to 110 or 120 mhz is safe? Can the gpu realy be destroyed this way?
I've done a bit of OC of the gpu on my rebirth Pandora... if you go to far it locks it up, but haven't had adverse issues for doing it. I think the default speed of the gpu/memory is 120Mhz on the CC and Rebirth pandoras. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.. With OCing I thought I was getting around 160mhz..

I've done a bit of OC of the gpu on my rebirth Pandora... if you go to far it locks it up, but haven't had adverse issues for doing it. I think the default speed of the gpu/memory is 120Mhz on the CC and Rebirth pandoras. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.. With OCing I thought I was getting around 160mhz..
I though it was 110MHz for CC/Rebirth, and 200MHz for 1GHz Pandora.

With which tools do you O/C GPU/Mem (as they overclock together I think) ? (ok, I may also search the forum, it's certainly explained somewhere).

Back