Post Your Handheld Collections!!

Orkie said:
Make sure to keep Pikachu happy! You can try and give it Antidotes over and over, even if it's not poisoned and it will keep making him happier but won't use up any items :D. I think Yellow is a bit better than Green/Red, but that's because you can get a really strong team easily since Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur are all available to you.
Same story as blue/red? are just the available pokemon different?

Last edited by a moderator:
It the same with a few tweaks. Obviously you start with Pikachu, and he follows you around. You get the other 3 standard starters by talking to certain trainers and every now and again you fight Jessie and James rather than generic team rocket trainers all the time.

It's basically designed to follow the TV series as far as possible (which R/B/G clearly couldn't sine they came out before the series was made).

Yar, I had LOADS of those 99999999-in-1 things, most of them were passed on to my mam and my aunties (women of a certain age, it seems, and without wishing to offend, have a huge love for Tetris). My favourite variation on those things, one that I kept, got lost on my travels somehow.

It was green, and had handles like a smaller version of the PlayStation controller, with a long vertical screen with finger grooves in the back. It was French, and said "500 en 1" on it, and not only featured the usual Tetris, Racing and Tank games, but also Snake and a fantastic version of Breakout. Don't suppose anyone's got one of those, EXACTLY one of those, lying around that they'd be willing to part with?

ooh.. time to revive this thread...

After losing out on two auctions over the last 6 weeks or so for an Epoch Pokekon when the prices spiraled up into the realms of complete lunacy, I finally found and immediately purchased an Epoch Pocket Game Computer (aka Pokekon) last night on Ebay. It had a more-than-reasonable BIN and had actually been up for a few days, but a spelling error in the listing title probably kept it out of sight of most of the other collectors sniffing around for one... As an added bonus, I bought it up from my favourite Japanese seller (superb_articles_from_japan), so I'm doubly happy. I'll post pics as soon as it arrives; I should have it around the middle of next week.

Now, if I could just find a Gamate at a reasonable price... ;)

I've never heard of this! Will definitely keep my eye out.

Probably one of the hardest parts of collecting is finding all the japanese/asian knockoffs or obscure items. Seems like there's always too many to count :blink:

They probably churn out 20 a week, and most of those disappear after one batch :D. If anybody ever managed to get them all, they'll have a very full house indeed ;).

When I bought my Pokemon Mini, I thought I was getting one of those Epoch things. My mistake, obviously.
On a happier note, I finally got one of those original Game Boy Advance things today (the horizontal one). Not that exciting, I know, but I didn't have one, and at £20 with any four games, who's complaining?

daclassicgamingmaster said:
I've never heard of this! Will definitely keep my eye out.

Probably one of the hardest parts of collecting is finding all the japanese/asian knockoffs or obscure items. Seems like there's always too many to count :blink:
Oh DCGM... the humanity!... the Epoch Pocket Game Computer is one of the most rare and most important early handhelds... here's the spiel Martin and I wrote about it in our little handhelds collector's guide book we keep on the display cabinet:

Released in 1984, the Epoch Pocket Game Computer is arguably the first “cartridge-based” handheld video game system. Unlike the Microvision, which has the user switch entire faceplates containing the control buttons and the entire CPU to change games, the Pocket Game Computer (aka Pokekon) used a smaller version of the familiar home console game cartridge, not unlike what would be seen five years later with the introduction of Nintendo’s Game Boy.

Japanese toy and computer game manufacturer Epoch enjoyed some success with a variety of “Game & Watch”-like handheld and table-top LCD games in the early ‘80s, and a cartridge-based handheld must have seemed a good bet in Japan’s tech-hungry market. Unfortunately, the Pocket Game Computer’s rather high retail price and somewhat-larger-than-pocket size prevented it from catching on, and very few of the systems were made, perhaps as few as five thousand, making it one of the rarest handheld video game systems in the world.

Equipped with an 8-bit CPU, the Pokekon runs on four AA batteries and has a remarkable (for the time) 75x64 pixel LCD screen, which produces black and white graphics on about the level of an Atari 2600 console. The system is oriented horizontally, with an 8-way direction pad on the left and four buttons on the right, anticipating the design layout of the Lynx and Game Gear by several years. An On/Off switch, Volume and “Brightness” (contrast) dials complete the controls.

Never released outside of Japan, the Pocket Game Computer came with a dummy, placeholder cartridge and two built in games – a puzzle game and a simple paint program. Only five game cartridges were produced for the system: Mahjong, Reversi, Block Maze, Astro Bomber, and Store Keeper. Despite it’s tiny library and less-than-inspiring market performance, however, the Pokekon’s forward-thinking engineering embodied a number of significant advances in handheld console design, advances which would be refined and capitalized by another Japanese gaming company five years later with the release of the most popular video game system of all time, the Game Boy.

There are some nice pics of one at The Handheld Museum

:D

I would argue that the Adventure Vision is in fact the first cart-based system :p

I would love to own one some day. The price is really our of my range though, let alone finding a proper one on ebay.

I would argue that the Adventure Vision is in fact the first cart-based system :p
The Adventure Vision is a handheld?!? :blink: I always classified that one as a "table top". I mean, do you really think you could hold something powered by four D cells in your hands while you played? ;)

Anyway, I got a really good price on my Epoch Pokekon - it was less than I know you've paid for some of your cool special edition Game Boys... and besides, we just had to have one; they're too important to the history of handhelds for us not to include it in our collection... :D

jimid2 said:
The Adventure Vision is a handheld?!? :blink: I always classified that one as a "table top". I mean, do you really think you could hold something powered by four D cells in your hands while you played? ;)

Anyway, I got a really good price on my Epoch Pokekon - it was less than I know you've paid for some of your cool special edition Game Boys... and besides, we just had to have one; they're too important to the history of handhelds for us not to include it in our collection... :D

Yes! But Adventure Vision is still considered to be a handheld :p

I will keep an eye out for these things. They seem to float between 150-200 USD, so that's reasonable :D

TwoHeadedBoy said:
When I bought my Pokemon Mini, I thought I was getting one of those Epoch things. My mistake, obviously.
I just won a Pokemon Mini on Ebay a few days back... Also picked up a NOS copy of Pokemon Pinball for the thing... I've kind of wanted one for a while, but you don't see too many pop up in North America - looks kind of cool, and we did need one for the collection, what with being the smallest cartridge-based handheld ever, and all... Can't wait to get it! :)

I really want a Pokémon Mini for homebrew, but whenever I've seen one for sale I've never had the cash :(.

Pokemon Pinball Mini is a fantastic game, good job on picking that one up. That other game that comes with the Mini, it's a bit gimmicky, but Pinball is marvellously wonderful. Better than the Game Boy version, probably amongst my Top Five most favourite pinball games. Well done.

TwoHeadedBoy said:
Pokemon Pinball Mini is a fantastic game, good job on picking that one up. That other game that comes with the Mini, it's a bit gimmicky, but Pinball is marvellously wonderful. Better than the Game Boy version, probably amongst my Top Five most favourite pinball games. Well done.
That's nice to know, because I'm a handheld electronic pinball whore! :lol:

I got my Epoch Pocket Game Computer a couple days ago; still haven't taken any pics (I'm lazy, so I'm waiting until the Pokemon Mini comes in too and I'll take pics of both at the same time :p ) but here are the pics from the auction I won:

epoch1.jpg

The unit is in great shape! The box and instructions are excellent as well. I was surprised by the size of the thing and the size of the cartridges - they're bigger than you might think! The carts themselves are about the size of a Game Gear cart, but twice as thick; if they weren't so damned rare, I'd love to pull one apart to see what it's like inside... The system itself proudly scrolls "LCD GAME DOT MATRIX SYSTEM FULLL GRAPHIC 75X64 DOTS" across the top of the screen on start-up, and the screen is remarkably clear for an old LCD. The system comes with a dummy cartridge in the cart slot, and there's a really basic "etch-a-sketch" style graphics program and a "sliding squares" game (you know, where you have to order squares marked A to H alphabetically in a 3x3 grid ~ yawn!) built into the system ROM... The block maze game is pretty good - challenging and fun, and more complicated than it first looks. I haven't spent much time with Mahjong yet - gotta figure out the rules; pretty much everything is Japanese, including the instructions on the cart labels themselves, so it's all trial and error for me... Very cool system though - I'm really pleased to have it in the collection.

:eek: Very nice! I'm so tempted to check out ebay right now, but it's in my best interest NOT to. I'm unemployed and just purchased a guitar/amp on a whim. I'm broke! :(
Guitars and amps are important, too!

My guitars:

axismm90.jpg
prs_st24.jpg

My amp:

delux_rev.jpg

:D

Back