Post Your Handheld Collections!!

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
[OT]
I like those Ibanez Artist-style double cutaways... nice, classic, twin 'bucker guitars...

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Cool, I like the gold one.
That's a PRS Standard 24 Custom Built... I had it done with a Regular neck carve and stop tail (the Standard 24 only comes with Wide/Thin neck carve and trem, normally) and of course the bullion gold-all-over paint and gold hardware (even the pickup pole pieces are gold!), including non-locking gold tuners with ebony buttons (I never could stand either of the locking tuner designs PRS use!). It was pricey (to say the least) but worth it; hands down the finest instrument I've ever owned...
[/OT]
We now return to our regularly scheduled video game discussion... :lol:

Got my Pokemon Mini today but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll get some pics up on the weekend...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
8,168
Age
31
Location
ATL
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
Wow, I can only imagine what you paid :blink:. Hopefully in the future I'll look in to buying a better guitar. I've played violin for 9 years so this is pretty simple to pick up after that :D
 

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Wow, I can only imagine what you paid :blink:. Hopefully in the future I'll look in to buying a better guitar. I've played violin for 9 years so this is pretty simple to pick up after that :D
Well, I imagine the advantage of playing the violin would be that you would already have a finely developed ear and an excellent vibrato technique. And of course, a $3K PRS is just a down payment on what a concert violinist would pay for a professional instrument! :lol:

Hey DCGM, do you have a Pokemon Mini? I was looking at the thing while eating breakfast this morning and I have to admit it's pretty cool... With the one shoulder button and lopsided design, it's got a kind of funky aesthetic, but the build quality is a lot better than I imagined it would be - not like a Tamagotchi or those little keychain toys but as good as a Game Boy - and it's pretty cool to play on. It's got infrared, rumble and motion detection (via accelerometer) built into it, and it's TINY... I can't wait to try another game in it...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
8,168
Age
31
Location
ATL
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
jimid2 said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Wow, I can only imagine what you paid :blink:. Hopefully in the future I'll look in to buying a better guitar. I've played violin for 9 years so this is pretty simple to pick up after that :D
Well, I imagine the advantage of playing the violin would be that you would already have a finely developed ear and an excellent vibrato technique. And of course, a $3K PRS is just a down payment on what a concert violinist would pay for a professional instrument! :lol:

Hey DCGM, do you have a Pokemon Mini? I was looking at the thing while eating breakfast this morning and I have to admit it's pretty cool... With the one shoulder button and lopsided design, it's got a kind of funky aesthetic, but the build quality is a lot better than I imagined it would be - not like a Tamagotchi or those little keychain toys but as good as a Game Boy - and it's pretty cool to play on. It's got infrared, rumble and motion detection (via accelerometer) built into it, and it's TINY... I can't wait to try another game in it...

Yep, high quality violins can run you a pretty penny. With guitars you sort of have different sound ranges based on the price of the instrument, but even a low-end guitar can sound fairly decent. With a violin, you get a drastically different tone from antiques or expensive concert type models.

Don't have a pokemon mini yet. I actually have a job interview Friday, so if I get hired I can pay off the guitar and start to put money aside for some handhelds and such :)

Also, don't worry about this thread derailing. I don't think anyone minds much, especially not me (and I created it :p )
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
I finally took some pics tonight....


Here's the Epoch Game Pocket Computer. Mine's in beautiful (but not "mint") condition. You can just barely see the original box on the shelf behind the system, and it came complete with all the original documentation and two CIB games... It's AWESOME!!

Epoch2.jpg



And here's the Pokemon Mini, and yes, it is just as saccharine-cute as it looks... It's pretty amazing tech though, as they managed to squeeze IR, an accelerometer, three action buttons (A, B & C) and a D-pad into the little thing with a remarkably clear, crisp screen. It's also pretty fun

Pokemini.jpg


Anyway, it was a banner week for our handhelds collection, to be sure! :D
 

chad78

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Messages
835
Website
Visit site
Once I can find my Game Boy Micro, I'll post a picture, but I have a DS Lite (White that lives 24/7 in its black Nerf Armor), a PSP Slim Silver, a Game Boy Micro (black, but with the Famicom 20th anniversary faceplate), a Nokia N800 (in it's own black sleeve), my 4 GB AntiPod Nano (looks like the first generation iPod Nano). In the past, I've had a Game Gear, a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, DS (fatty), a Palm Zire 71, and a Tapwave Zodiac. I broke the Zodiac within 7 days of buying it used off of ebay. Ticked me off.

My DS Lite has an R4DS and a ezflash 3-in-1, and my Game Boy Micro has a SuperCard SD (I ordered the MiniSD, but they sent the wrong one), and my PSP is running custom firmware.

I also have a modded Xbox in a clear case, and a MacBook (late 2007) white with the SuperDrive, and a Dell Latitude D600 (which was just given to me).
 

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
6,093
Age
29
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
QUOTE
I broke the Zodiac within 7 days of buying it used off of ebay. Ticked me off.



Lordy, what did you do?
 

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
I've been hunting around for those few obscure pieces I want to round out my handhelds collection, and I won this one on Ebay last night:



It's a KOEI PasoGo, a handheld GO system from the makers of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobanaga's Ambition series. There were only three game cartridges made for this one, and I got all three games as well in the auction. It was released in 1996, and is apparently quite large - I'm looking forward to placing it on the shelf... :)

Now, if I could only find a reasonably priced Gamate - the only one I've been able to track down is in Hong Kong, and the seller wants $300 for it!!! :blink:
 

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Never heard of it, but it looks pretty damn cool :D. Didn't pay too much I see; I guess I'll keep an eye out for more.
Ya, I love these obscure handhelds from Japan (Hey, that'd be a pretty cool website, dontcha think? ;) ) Anyway, I did get this one for a good price; the one they sold a couple weeks earlier went for nearly twice as much, and I've seen them go for $175, but with the recession I guess the obscure handheld market is beginning to cool... :lol: Anyway, the closing time was "Japanese friendly", which made it damned late for most of us in N.A. - those are the ones I like to snipe, 'cause I figure there's less competition if most sane people are in bed... :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

darkman

darkman unmasked!
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
758
Age
64
Location
Kentucky, USA
Website
www.vci.net
Just added this to my portable collection this week. It is the newest portable NES clone.
FCMobile.gif

Has TV-out, headphone jack, and plays NES carts. :D

edit: I know that the D-pad looks like four buttons, but it is not. It is a total deception. It is all connected underneath forming a traditional cross button D-pad. It works and feels like one.
 

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
chad78 said:
I also have a modded Xbox in a clear case, and a MacBook (late 2007) white with the SuperDrive, and a Dell Latitude D600 (which was just given to me).
I have a D600... I run OpenSUSE on it and play a bunch of old DOS games on it in dosbox (Sam & Max, V 4 Victory games, Warlords II, stuff like that)... It's a tough little notebook; runs great and I like the 4:3 screen ratio for older games...
darkman said:
Just added this to my portable collection this week. It is the newest portable NES clone.
FCMobile.gif

Has TV-out, headphone jack, and plays NES carts. :D
edit: I know that the D-pad looks like four buttons, but it is not. It is a total deception. It is all connected underneath forming a traditional cross button D-pad. It works and feels like one.
I've got one of those coming this week - I bought the red and white one because I thought it looked more "retro" ;) Anyway, I was worried about the D-pad - I'm glad to hear it's one button under the shell. Can't wait to receive mine! :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:

darkman

darkman unmasked!
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
758
Age
64
Location
Kentucky, USA
Website
www.vci.net
jimid2 said:
I've got one of those coming this week - I bought the red and white one because I thought it looked more "retro" ;) Anyway, I was worried about the D-pad - I'm glad to hear it's one button under the shell. Can't wait to receive mine! :D
Just a little heads up, I had trouble with mine. The battery springs are very weak and cheap. I used a piece of bubble wrap to hold the first battery in place. It fits down into a hole like place located under the other two batteries. It kept wanting to fall out of place whenever I turned the unit over so that the screen faces me. Also it was a horror trying to get that "protective plastic" over the LCD off. It was like welded to it. And my TV-out cable was faulty. Fortunately I have a few of those laying around. Other than that, I love it. :) Works great! I might order me one of the red and white ones next. Your right, it does look a little more "retro." It wouldn't hurt to have two on hand. Even though the shell seems solid and sturdy, I am not sure how well it will hold up under daily use.

edit: The online eBay store, where I purchased the unit, was kind enough to supply a “randomly picked” free NES game cart. The game is an NES Zapper game! I got mine for $39.00. I am thinking that it will play Famicom games also. I am trying to get a hold of one now on eBay. I will know in a week or two. There is really no reason, plastic wise, why it shouldn't. Unless the Famicom carts have a narrow insert end of the cart. If not I will try to pick up one that I saw on eBay that looked exactly like it repackaged with the name of "Game Porter." It claims to use Famicom carts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
darkman said:
The online eBay store, where I purchased the unit, was kind enough to supply a “randomly picked” free NES game cart. The game is an NES Zapper game!
:blink:

:lol:

I got mine off of an Ebay seller called "neogames" - he's an established seller from the West Coast and he just came up with a whack of these systems last week and started underselling everyone on Ebay. I payed $25 for mine ($46 including shipping to Canada), but I see he's upped his BIN price by $5 since then... Of course, I don't get a free game with mine. :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
2,350
Location
UK
Website
x11.gp2x.de
darkman said:
I am thinking that it will play Famicom games also. I am trying to get a hold of one now on eBay. I will know in a week or two. There is really no reason, plastic wise, why it shouldn't. Unless the Famicom carts have a narrow insert end of the cart.

I thought Famicom games used a totally different pinout?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

darkman

darkman unmasked!
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
758
Age
64
Location
Kentucky, USA
Website
www.vci.net
Orkie said:
darkman said:
I am thinking that it will play Famicom games also. I am trying to get a hold of one now on eBay. I will know in a week or two. There is really no reason, plastic wise, why it shouldn't. Unless the Famicom carts have a narrow insert end of the cart.

I thought Famicom games used a totally different pinout?
Yeah I think they do. I think that the US NES had a 72 pinout and the Japan one had 60 something. But don't they have a clone that will play both? Or am I thinking of the SNES clones? :huh:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
2,350
Location
UK
Website
x11.gp2x.de
Most likely SNES, they are the same anywhere in the world (besides the US due to the strange cart shape).
 

jimid2

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
236
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
New obscure Japanese handheld for the collection:

The Koei PasoGo - mint, boxed, w/ all documentation, three games (MIB) and an AC adapter (CIB).

pasogo1.jpg



Get a load of the size of the thing:

pasogo2.jpg



It's really a cool unit - the grey-scale screen is pretty impressive in terms of size. The machine takes six AA's and is not back-lit. Carts are about the size of a Game Gear game.

Now, if I could learn a little Japanese (Kanji) I might actually be able to play the games that came with it... :blink:
 
Top