A bunch of pictures

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, not that much to report this week.

Nikolaus has populated some PCBs (so I've got something to show at the GamesCom) and got the BOE display to work (without the Solomon Chip yet).

As you might be interested to see some pictures of the populated PCB, here you are:

DSC01983.jpegDSC01984.jpegDSC01985.jpeg

DSC01986.jpegDSC01987.jpegDSC01989.jpeg

I mostly took care of the T-Shirt and merchandising stuff that will be ready to order for GamesCom (or shortly after).

aTc, lunixbochs and TrashyMG are fiddling around with devboards right now (well, lunixbochs uses Trashys via SSH) and they got the SGX to work (with quite a few issues still, but it does work).

Maybe I'll be able to show some 3D stuff at the GamesCom as well - but we'll see that.

Right now it seems Ubuntu ARM is better supporting the OMAP5 than Debian - so maybe we'll steal some packages from Ubuntu for our OS or maybe even use a minimized version of Ubuntu (without all the bloat).

It's too early to tell something right now, it's mostly playing around to see that things are working. Ubuntu and Debian are very close together, so some exchange between both might be a good idea.

Oh, before I forgot:

It seems subscribing to the newsletter had some certification issues - so in case you didn't receive your confirmation mail when trying to subscribe, you should now be able to do that.

Picture 5, is that a rumble motor?, if so that answers that question.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's seems so full :eek: whats the big component still missing (just above the antenna?)

And cool to see the shoulder buttons on the top and the bottom side nice solution to the 2 shoulder buttons issue (was wondering about the placement on the PCB)

very nice update EvilDragon!

Yay rumble :)

Edit: Shouldn't there be two micro usb ports?

Edit2: Sorry, of course it is on the other side.

Is it just mee, or is the volume wheel this time on the other Side ??

Nice Pictures

Edit: wtf: now i also notice the Thing who looks like a Rumple Motor ; this is realy cool ..

Yay rumble :)

Edit: Shouldn't there be two micro usb ports?

Edit2: Sorry, of course it is on the other side.
There are.

One is for charging (and a serial port).

It's on the front side (1st picture).

And yes, that big thing is a rumble motor.

The big square missing is the 3G module.

And the daughter board is also missing.

So, whe aktualy whil get the first DS Size Linux Notebook, whit decent Gamingcontrolls, Dual Nubs, 4 Shoulderbuttons, and Rumble Feature (force feedback) ??

If this is the case, "be silence, and take my $$$" ..

Thats great if you get SMS, or for Emulation (PSX) , some things..

If the case is strong enought, to manage the vibrations, and this dosnt harm eny other parts, then im exitet.

Things I like here:

Rumble motor

More robust-looking shoulder buttons

Rounded corners

Separate GPS antenna (possibility of GPS on a wifi only model?)

That wonky chip! I want that on a t-shirt, in silhouette, scaled up.

Yay rumble
Yay is an understatement for me.  If I get a 3G version I plan on using this as the primary notification method.

That wonky chip! I want that on a t-shirt, in silhouette, scaled up.
This is one of my favorite things, too.  It just looks wrong to my eye, and I love that.  What is it?  Maybe we can get it on the back of the t-shirt, really big.

If the case is strong enought, to manage the vibrations, and this dosnt harm eny other parts, then im exitet.
That's why people need to put in more orders for the Pandora Aluminum case for IDV to have interest in making Aluminum case for Pyra...

Retro-brown PCB including hand soldered parts, very nice.  :D

Not sure about the rumble motor. Besides I see no real usage of this ( I am a PC Mouse+Keyboard Gamer, what is rumble? XD ), it adds costs, causes stress onto the PCB and surrounding parts, may cause WiFi issues if done wrong and drains additional power. However, if the majority wants an rumble function, why not.

Back