Populated Mainboards

Good stuff Ed.  Christmas 2014 is the release date right?   Can't wait.  I keep checking this board everyday and every hour
He never said that. Q1 is the most likely date, but we'll see... there are still production pilots to be made, and so on. That kind of work at the manufacturing scale take several months. and the design is not even finished yet.  

This is just great, so you can realy show minecraft running on Pyra on Gamescon, right (if glshim is working)? 

I would love to see The Dark Mod running on the Pyra but it would need a full Open GL ES 2.0 convertion.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

follow02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you have made this much progress already and are able to show it off on gamescom.

Are you also selling stuff there (or isn't that allowed)?

The multiboard design on the Pyra reminds me of my old amiga 4000 with its processor on a daughder board too.

On the heat side of things, how would account for different processors in the future? Is there a way to do heat distribution that takes them into account without testing?

This is all shaping out really smooth.

Oh this is so cool, I'm really excited! I also hope that an aluminum case would be possible at some point. But, the main reason I was ok with aluminum on the pandora was because the internet wifi chip wasn't too great anyways. If we aluminum the Pyra, and the internal wifi chip is good this time, then I'd actually be losing something. Talk of the future though, we'll see how it goes! ^_^

Good stuff Ed.  Christmas 2014 is the release date right?   Can't wait.  I keep checking this board everyday and every hour
He never said that. Q1 is the most likely date, but we'll see... there are still production pilots to be made, and so on. That kind of work at the manufacturing scale take several months. and the design is not even finished yet.  
I'm wondering when preorders will open, given this information. Will I be able to order a Pyra when ED is ready to start making production pilots, or will preorders only start once he's ready to start shipping units? If the latter, that can hardly be called a preorder, it would just be a regular order, no?

I'm wondering when preorders will open, given this information. Will I be able to order a Pyra when ED is ready to start making production pilots, or will preorders only start once he's ready to start shipping units? If the latter, that can hardly be called a preorder, it would just be a regular order, no?
If I remember correctly, the preorders were going to fund the first run of Pyras.

-Glyph Reader

The multiboard design on the Pyra reminds me of my old amiga 4000 with its processor on a daughder board too.
The Acorn Risc PC had it's CPU on a little daughter board, although that rose vertically via a Euro-connector from the horizontal motherboard. I remember swapping out my ARM6 chip running at iirc 30MHz for a DEC StrongARM running at a then unheard of 110MHz.

Also, my old Archimedes had its processor on a daughter board parallel with the motherboard, but that was only because it was upgraded to ARM3 from ARM2 and those weren't quite socket compatible. You could do a similar upgrade to the RAM to get a whopping 8MB installed!

As far as I know, heat production can only really be predicted once we know the dimensions and power output of the potential chips, and even then it's much easier and more reliable to do it via prototyping than the various systems that exist for predicting the sort of dynamic flows that result from a heat source.

Back