Playstation Emulation

Does anyone else have a raging emulation-boner for Zod at the moment?

The prospect of scary-speed Grandia, Vagrant Story and MGS everywhere I go makes me a happy little gamer.

MWeston said:
Squidge wrote a little program that anyone can run to over clock the chips in Linux. You can set the clock to whatever you would like. :)

The sample batch is still too small to know if everyone will get to 900MHz but it works well for us so far.
I love you squidge, TI, mweston, craigix and everyone else :) Reading about the psx emulation and then about some squidgeware really makes me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the overall performance, can we expect to use most apps downclocked to needs and gain battery life over 10hrs as suggested. Remember Craigix saying we should get 100+hours for mp3 playback. Video playback don't need that much, same for most emu... so I hope we will be able push the battery life up to 20-30 hours for general use! I don't expect playing psx all the time!

Confirmed on zodttd.com blog:

For those wondering of the mystery package, it's of a Pandora. The Pandora is a purely homebrew driven handheld with a focus on video games. It uses bleeding edge technology and wow is it fast! At it's default 600MHz using the new OMAP3 processor, Playstation emulation of Final Fantasy 7 runs in-game at 65 FPS (a bit over fullspeed) or higher. When overclocked to 900MHz you start seeing 100 FPS and higher in-game!

I hope thats with sound too.

Amazed!

I'm dumbfounded with silence.

My words are escaping through my ears.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :blink: :blink: :blink:

That is... amazing news. Wonder what it would be like when using the 3d acceleration?

Also a handheld running at nearly 1ghz is incredible.

Jaylink said:
Ideed a Big WoW , Just awesome to read these kind of speeds are possible :D

Thumbs up for you Guys ^^
Not wanting to be flamed but willing to give it a shot in the vein hope for an answer that will please me....

Does this theoretical 50% increase in speed mean that a Saturn emulator is any more fiesable?

*ducks*

phi6 said:
Confirmed on zodttd.com blog:

For those wondering of the mystery package, it's of a Pandora. The Pandora is a purely homebrew driven handheld with a focus on video games. It uses bleeding edge technology and wow is it fast! At it's default 600MHz using the new OMAP3 processor, Playstation emulation of Final Fantasy 7 runs in-game at 65 FPS (a bit over fullspeed) or higher. When overclocked to 900MHz you start seeing 100 FPS and higher in-game!
I hope thats with sound too.

Amazed!

Oh, I thought it was the JXD 3. :p

also

:pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora2: :pandora2: :pandora2: :pandora2: :pandora2: :pandora1: yay

MWeston said:
anexanhume said:
I'm really disappointed.

200 FPS is just not enough for me.

:lol:
It's TI's fault for not letting us get to 1GHz with these chips. :)

Just kidding! We love you TI ;)

jaycee900 said:
MWeston said:
Full speed at 600MHz in some tough games and not even touching the 3D hardware yet.

Got the boards running stable at 900Mhz (925 on some) and hit 200fps in FF7 once! :)
Wow this is the sort of news me and I'm sure others want to know the cold hard facts of what the Pandora can do!

So when the first batch of Pandoras come off at 600mhz can these be overclocked ourselves or will you be selling overclocked models later on? Because i would certainly rather have say a 800mhz version with a 6 hour battery life for more processor intense programs.

Squidge wrote a little program that anyone can run to over clock the chips in Linux. You can set the clock to whatever you would like. :)

The sample batch is still too small to know if everyone will get to 900MHz but it works well for us so far.

Overclocking is cool but underclocking is much cooler! :D I hope we also can underclock the PSX Emu (and other Emulators) and still have full Speed. I plan to expand the battery time as long as possible. :)
So I hope, the Devs do more than quick, dirty ports of games, EMulators etc. even if all the Stuff runs Full-Speed at 600MHz. I would prefer the same stuff optimized to...lets say.. half the clockspeed? ;)

fusion_power said:
Overclocking is cool but underclocking is much cooler! :D I hope we also can underclock the PSX Emu (and other Emulators) and still have full Speed. I plan to expand the battery time as long as possible. :)
So I hope, the Devs do more than quick, dirty ports of games, EMulators etc. even if all the Stuff runs Full-Speed at 600MHz. I would prefer the same stuff optimized to...lets say.. half the clockspeed? ;)
I could not agree more!

Posting such overclocking results is the best way the developers will get lazy :p

Funny actually... With past handhelds we always asked how high we can clock.

Perhaps with Pandora, we'll be more interested in how LOW we can clock. :)

If PSX can run full speed at 500Mhz, then it certainly seems the majority of emulators could run at very low clock speeds. So now devs - how low can you go? :p

Pleng said:
Does this theoretical 50% increase in speed mean that a Saturn emulator is any more fiesable?
*ducks*
Even at 900Mhz, you have to look at the state of Saturn emulation even on 3Ghz PC's. Not very fast.

I try to never say never, but I would definitely not hold my breath in anticipation of Saturn emulation. But like everyone, I would love to see it - Saturn had an amazing library of games.

Laurent said:
fusion_power said:
I could not agree more!

Posting such overclocking results is the best way the developers will get lazy :p

Exactly. And at the end, the Situation onto the Pandora is like onto modern PC's: the pure Hardware Power makes Optimizing of Software less interesting.
Overclocking to make a Application run smooth is completely the wrong direction and wrong philosophy onto a mobile, Battery powered Handheld.
When the Pandora can handle Full Speed PSX Emulation without Optimizations and without use of the pure OMAP Hardware Power, I'm sure this beast could do miracles if the Software is optimized for the Device like the good old Console Software was optimized ages ago. :)
I remember that games like "Turrican" on C64 pulled more out of the Hardware than ever was in! ANd now we have a super-Power Device PLUS the ability to run optimized software...man what could be done onto the Pandora...?!?!? :)

On this topic, while underclocking for efficient emulators sounds awesome, could overclocking be used to run, say, an N64 emulator? It seems much more reasonable than a saturn, since x86 based n64 emulators run much better than any saturn ones I know of. I mean, PSX is great, but handhelds have been able to do that for years. (I'm thinking FPSECE for windows mobile 2003)... Fast n64 would be a big advancement.

jbr said:
On this topic, while underclocking for efficient emulators sounds awesome, could overclocking be used to run, say, an N64 emulator? It seems much more reasonable than a saturn, since x86 based n64 emulators run much better than any saturn ones I know of. I mean, PSX is great, but handhelds have been able to do that for years. (I'm thinking FPSECE for windows mobile 2003)... Fast n64 would be a big advancement.
You won't find anyone making any promises in that department just yet. While I'm sure the raw power of Pandora is a big step in the direction of "maybe", other things come into play such as the complexity of the coding.

Rest assured though, there are many of us who have two very big fingers crossed for something to happen in this area, and the dev community is well aware of the demand. ;)

Back