Playstation Emulation

The actual PS1 uses a mix of vertical and horizontal resolutions. The highest being 640x480 (hi-res). I carefully upscale (if required) to the native Pandora resolution. When I start using better techniques to handle any sort of rotation/scaling a boost of as much as 20 FPS can be seen in games.

I'm working on improving the actual emulator's compatibility (and performance issues I ran into due to compatibility of things such as root counters of the PS1 emulation).

Currently psx4pandora supports all raw ripped games, such as CloneCD, .BIN/.CUE types. It also supports PocketISO compressed images (.Z and .ZNX currently). Tinnus and I have thought about adding PSP EBOOT or CSO support.

I just added a new video of Einhander Part 2 running at 600MHz using a much better video cam so quality is improved. It's also now running around the 60 FPS mark instead of faster/slower.

http://ca.youtube.com/user/zodttd

zodttd said:
Currently psx4pandora supports all raw ripped games, such as CloneCD, .BIN/.CUE types. It also supports PocketISO compressed images (.Z and .ZNX currently). Tinnus and I have thought about adding PSP EBOOT or CSO support.
Awesome. I'll start ripping and converting to compressed PocketISO.

PS - videos look great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds very impressive, just wondering whether PSX emulation on Pandora could be any better than on PSP (apart from 'possibly' better controls)?

I intend getting a Pandora but I am very happy with PSX emulation already on PSP - apart from different screen aspect (& sharper visuals), I presume performance should be similar - i.e. full speed for all games?

Pandora for me will hopefully be perfect Amiga emulation if Critical or someone else takes this up :) I'll still play everything else on it though! :p

Well if Tinnus is up for it, an OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU can use higher res textures and nicer filtering, as seen in PC PSX emulation.

Of course I'm on it. I want good-looking FF7 as much as everyone else :p

zodttd said:
Well if Tinnus is up for it, an OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU can use higher res textures and nicer filtering, as seen in PC PSX emulation.
Nice - if this happens I'll be using Pandora for my portable playtation emulation over my PSP - may do anyway depending how the controls feel. Thanks for reply.

Tinnus is also pro-Eboot. I think it would make things easier for people to use psx4pandora. They wont have to worry about getting the right ISO type or raw BIN. And PocketISO works really well, but the options can confuse some and they land up getting a bad compressed image.

If you dont rip out anything using PocketISO, and just compress, it should work well.

Time to look into eboot file structures.

zodttd said:
Tinnus is also pro-Eboot. I think it would make things easier for people to use psx4pandora. They wont have to worry about getting the right ISO type or raw BIN. And PocketISO works really well, but the options can confuse some and they land up getting a bad compressed image.

If you dont rip out anything using PocketISO, and just compress, it should work well.

Time to look into eboot file structures.
Sweeet I love eboots. nice,clean, and you also could have the ability to throw in a custom background image! B)

..although we'll first concentrate on getting the game itself working. There is a series or other problems for reading the icon and BG images, namely because they are simply PNG files, and because of that we would need to add libpng just for some eye-candy.

The name of the game can be easily read though :)

Never heard of eboot, but would it be easy to convert ISO/BIN to this format and will it contain CDDA tracks that alot of games use

Tinnus said:
..although we'll first concentrate on getting the game itself working. There is a series or other problems for reading the icon and BG images, namely because they are simply PNG files, and because of that we would need to add libpng just for some eye-candy.

The name of the game can be easily read though :)
Wouldn't any system ship with libpng anyway? It's quite common and absolutely necessary if it has a browser.

..but it would add code (I mean our code for calling libpng and showing the images) overhead in the emulator for a small reason, at least for now that we don't have a very fancy GUI :p

Of course it would be a good option when the rest of the UI doesn't look like a terminal :)

liquidphantom: Long story short, it's the format the PSP reads for its PS1 games. There are countless programs to convert stuff to this format. It supports compression. It can store CDDA but I'm not sure if psx4all has the code to play CDDA tracks :)

Yeah, the PSP eboot format is great for PSX games.

You can a get a nicely compressed image that decompresses plenty fast during emulation.

CDDA support - I hope that is added to the emulator soon. If PSP can do it then we know Pandora can do it even better. :)

Because the Filesize of the PSX Games will be the biggest problem in PSX Emulation onto the Pandora, I hope there will be a good compression format. I don't have experience with ripping PSX CD's so maybe the right tool could be included with the Emulator so I just start the program onto the PC, push a button and the tool converts the PSX CD into the right format for the Emulator automaticly. Would be very useful :)

Zodttd, just wanted to say that this emulator looks beautiful. Very nice work. And, thanks for your hard work. That's all.

p B)

pariah said:
Zodttd, just wanted to say that this emulator looks beautiful. Very nice work. And, thanks for your hard work. That's all.

p B)
Second that you and tinnus are awesome for doing this for all of us B)

I've got loads of original PS1 games that I would love to replay again, but I've no experience of turning them into ISOs etc.

The eboot format mentioned above seems to be in favour, what would the best tool be for creating eboots of my ORIGINAL discs? Google is my friend, but personal views are generally better than computer automated searches...

This looks like it will be a killer app. :) I never owned a Playstation, but I'd love to buy some decent games to rip and play when the time comes. Looking on the internet though, anything but the most obscure titles cost over $20. I'm not willing to pay that much considering PC titles of that era now have budget prices. I'm not too keen on eBay either, do any 'real' stores still sell Playstation CDs?

Back