Playstation Emulation

I used FPSECE from 2005 through 2007 when my pocket PC died and I moved outside the realm of mainstream portables. It wasn't extremely fast even then, but it still had the "wow" factor. I could say, look! Tekken 3! and just hope people didn't actually look too closely at the speed. Of course, it was excellent for 2d and simple homebrew, which is mainly what I used it for. My point was just to explain how much I want n64. As the post right after mine confirmed, the developers are aware of the demand for n46, so I've effectively been answered.

I suppose 100+ FPS is still monumental. Great job, guys.

Prophet said:
Pleng said:
Does this theoretical 50% increase in speed mean that a Saturn emulator is any more fiesable?
*ducks*
Even at 900Mhz, you have to look at the state of Saturn emulation even on 3Ghz PC's. Not very fast.

I try to never say never, but I would definitely not hold my breath in anticipation of Saturn emulation. But like everyone, I would love to see it - Saturn had an amazing library of games.

Oh poo :(

Nights, Daytona CCE, Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighting in my pocket would be a wet-dream come true! I know, I know, there's plenty of *similar* substitutes (for all bar NiGHTS), but it's just not the same.

Whilst I know thae Saturn is a complex system, I'm sure better emulation is possible at lower clock-speeds on the PC. It just seems that there aren't that many DEVS who are interested in, or have the time to work on, Saturn emulation.

Finding a Pandora nut with the apropriate enthusiasm and ability will be even more difficult!

Looks like I'll just have to 'make do' with SNES, MeagDrive, C64, Amiga, Playstation, and possibly N64... hmm I thik I can deal with that! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
uuuuuuhhhhhummmmmmmmm.....

nine.....hund.....dred.....mehg...guh.....hurtz??!?!?!?

*aneurysms into coma......

*coma drool........*

Pleng said:
Nights, Daytona CCE, Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighting in my pocket would be a wet-dream come true! I know, I know, there's plenty of *similar* substitutes (for all bar NiGHTS), but it's just not the same.

Yeah some great games there, I've yet to buy Nights on Wii because i dont want to ruin my childhood memorys! lol
Daytona on Saturn was ok but nothing compared to the arcade version of course, way too much pop-up (say half a track at a time!) Virtua Racing - well Picodrive now emulators the MD version, and hopefully someone will emulate the 32X and VR was one of the best games on it and alot better than the MD version.
Virtua Fighter - again the MD was pants! the 32X version was ok and again hopefully a 32X emulator will come, but as people have said even on high spec PC Saturn emulation is poor and its a hard machine to emulate so i would forget about the Saturn.

I posted some quick low quality videos of psx4pandora running games such as Final Fantasy 7, Wipeout 1, and Einhander at 600MHz:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/zodttd

More videos with higher quality (and hopefully sound too!) are on their way soon. But I figured just in case I can't get the new video cam to work tommorow, at least this is something. :)

I should make some videos of things running at 900MHz or so too. More to do...I better get back to work. :)

zodttd said:
I posted some quick low quality videos of psx4pandora running games such as Final Fantasy 7, Wipeout 1, and Einhander at 600MHz:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/zodttd

More videos with higher quality (and hopefully sound too!) are on their way soon. But I figured just in case I can't get the new video cam to work tommorow, at least this is something. :)

I should make some videos of things running at 900MHz or so too. More to do...I better get back to work. :)

Wow, that's some fast emulation. Nice to finally see some of the capabilities of this wonderful handheld. Naturally, I assume there will be a frame limiter in the emulator when it's released?

Yes there will be a default option to limit the frames to NTSC/PAL FPS. :)

Those are some very encouraging videos, Zod - I think downclocking a little may be absolutely essential, looking at them!

It's always good to see Pandora running things at silly speeds :).

zodttd said:
I guess sound emulation would put a bit of a hit on the frame rate too right? though not so much that it doesn;t run smooth.

Can you give us some examples of the FPS those games were running at? The wipeout one looked bloody fast! like when I try to run Wipeout XL on my PC these days lol :)

jaycee900 said:
Yeah some great games there, I've yet to buy Nights on Wii because i dont want to ruin my childhood memorys! lol
Well I wouldn't worry about that too much. The creator of NiGHTS said there would never be a sequal because he considered that the gameplay was perfect already and the only thing that could be imporved was graphics. Of course, that's before the Wii concept was ever dreamed of, evidently it was enough to change the minds of the creators.

This is all, of course, completely contradicted by the p*ss poor PS Cam version of NiGHTS :s

Daytona on Saturn was ok but nothing compared to the arcade version of course, way too much pop-up (say half a track at a time!) Virtua Racing - well Picodrive now emulators the MD version, and hopefully someone will emulate the 32X and VR was one of the best games on it and alot better than the MD version.

I'm talking about Daytona CCE. Pop up was much reduced and of course it had multiplayer. Not as good as the Dreamcast or Arcade versions, but much better than the original Saturn release.

I've recently played the 32X Virtua Racing via emulation on the PC and am pretty unimpressed. IT doesn't seem much better, to me, than the MD version other than graphically. Not a patch on the Saturn version anyhow.

Virtua Fighter - again the MD was pants! the 32X version was ok and again hopefully a 32X emulator will come,

Yea 32X Virtua Fighter doesn't seem too bad, really, though I've never given it a spin.

but as people have said even on high spec PC Saturn emulation is poor and its a hard machine to emulate so i would forget about the Saturn.

I'll NEVER forget about the Saturn! I'll always live in some deluded hope that one day it may happen :p

zodttd said:
Is it possible to sync the clock speed with the FPS? So when the game runs smooth, only the required MHz are powering the Emulator? "Auto-Over-Underclocking" would make many things more easy I think .... and our Batteries will be thankful to. ;)

Is the emulator doing PS1 resolution, or is it rendering at the Pandora's native? If not, will it do so in the future? Most people have only seen upscaled games, but when I rendered FF8 at 1600x1200 the onlookers all but peed themselves. Now, if I could do that with a handheld...

AireTamStorm said:
Is the emulator doing PS1 resolution, or is it rendering at the Pandora's native? If not, will it do so in the future? Most people have only seen upscaled games, but when I rendered FF8 at 1600x1200 the onlookers all but peed themselves. Now, if I could do that with a handheld...

You should look at the other thread showcasing the work on the GLES GPU ;)

It seems these movies show it rendering at 320x240, but the final version will use the Pandora HW to render to 640x480 possibly, and with filtering and stuff. It would pretty much work and look as good as Pete's OGL2 plugin ;)

The auto-clock is a pretty good idea, it should be researched how good that would work (there are some details that might cause problems..) and used as a technique all around :) But maybe the kernel itself would/will do that if you tell it you have idle time. I think the SOAC has power-saving-dynamic-clocking stuff on it as well. so I hope they figure out something about that :p

Are the renderings we are seeing straight renders of the games? I remember you had said sweet stuff like anti-aliasing and other things would be added to psx4all. I can't imagine how good some of the stuff will look :eek:

This question may be a bit early, but any idea what disc image formats PSX4ALL will work with? Compressed ISOs? BIN/CUE? MDF/MDX? CCD/IMG? PSP formatted?

I'm not saying it needs to support all (or even more than one) of these formats, I'm just trying to straighten out my PSX image collection and convert anything that needs converting.

Vince2501 said:
How about touch screen support for Area 51 and Time Crisis?
It would be cool if they could configure the touchscreen as a light gun.

Back