Playstation Emulation

Paradox said:
I tried making some ISO's of a few games with both alcohol 52% and this magic iso you mentioned, I tried running both copies in 2 different emulators to test them and neither seem to work =(
What psx emulator are you using because I use ePSXe and I also used them with my PSP and has never had any trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 GameMaster said:
Paradox said:
I tried making some ISO's of a few games with both alcohol 52% and this magic iso you mentioned, I tried running both copies in 2 different emulators to test them and neither seem to work =(
What psx emulator are you using because I use ePSXe and I also used them with my PSP and has never had any trouble.

one of the ones I tried was ePSXe, it runs the bios fine and the PSX boots up so to speak but when I load any iso's it just gives me a black screen and nothing happens

Paradox said:
#1 GameMaster said:
Paradox said:

one of the ones I tried was ePSXe, it runs the bios fine and the PSX boots up so to speak but when I load any iso's it just gives me a black screen and nothing happens
Here you go I just tested this one and now thinking that it is how I made mine it's called imgburn the downloads here. On this all you need to do is open it then click (create image file from disc)then you just set the read speed and where you want the file to go and click on the cd icon.

Hope this works for you. ;)

(forgot to mention I think this only does BIN if so you should be able to convert to an iso easy if needed)

P.S. now I know why I thought I used MagicISO it was because I would use it to convert the files that were in a weird format. B)

Wow it's been a year since I've last posted in this thread :p

Anyways still looking forward to this emu. I don't mean to be a pain but is there any chance for little update on how's this is going guys?

#1 GameMaster said:
Here you go I just tested this one and now thinking that it is how I made mine it's called imgburn the downloads here. On this all you need to do is open it then click (create image file from disc)then you just set the read speed and where you want the file to go and click on the cd icon.
Imgburn is a fantastic program for making iso's. The problem is that I thought psx games had some security (forced bad sectors). Is that true? If so, Imgburn will auto-correct them. Maybe it doesn't matter for emulators.

rabidpoobear said:
#1 GameMaster said:
Imgburn is a fantastic program for making iso's. The problem is that I thought psx games had some security (forced bad sectors). Is that true? If so, Imgburn will auto-correct them. Maybe it doesn't matter for emulators.
I guess that they don't have bad sectors or that imgburn doesn't correct them because it worked for me just a second ago. I figured that I would test it before I made my last post that way I knew that it worked for sure and that I wasn't posting the wrong stuff. Because I'm sure you could try it right now and it would work for you.

#1 GameMaster said:
rabidpoobear said:
#1 GameMaster said:
I guess that they don't have bad sectors or that imgburn doesn't correct them because it worked for me just a second ago. I figured that I would test it before I made my last post that way I knew that it worked for sure and that I wasn't posting the wrong stuff. Because I'm sure you could try it right now and it would work for you.

I managed to rip a few games with imgburn and they worked perfectly, until I got to FF9, the rips just wouldn't play, maybe this is the bad sector protection thing you're talking about? I'm just going to find somewhere to download it pre-ripped in any case.

Paradox said:
#1 GameMaster said:
rabidpoobear said:
#1 GameMaster said:

I managed to rip a few games with imgburn and they worked perfectly, until I got to FF9, the rips just wouldn't play, maybe this is the bad sector protection thing you're talking about? I'm just going to find somewhere to download it pre-ripped in any case.
Well I'm glad I helped you out and if I remember there was a few games I had to download too, but that was probably because of their condition because my cousin don't take care of things that he barrows.

#1 GameMaster said:
Paradox said:
#1 GameMaster said:
rabidpoobear said:
#1 GameMaster said:

Well I'm glad I helped you out and if I remember there was a few games I had to download too, but that was probably because of their condition because my cousin don't take care of things that he barrows.

Doesn't this imply that your PC is infected with a rootkit (like SecuROM or SafeDisc)? I'm fairly sure that if you just `dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/Desktop/mypsxgame.img` you'll get a perfect rip. I haven't confirmed this as I'm on my devbox and nothing really works here.

zhasha said:
#1 GameMaster said:
Paradox said:
#1 GameMaster said:
rabidpoobear said:
#1 GameMaster said:

Doesn't this imply that your PC is infected with a rootkit (like SecuROM or SafeDisc)? I'm fairly sure that if you just `dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/Desktop/mypsxgame.img` you'll get a perfect rip. I haven't confirmed this as I'm on my devbox and nothing really works here.

wat

Paradox said:
zhasha said:

wat
Seriously guys cut out the quote pyramid it's bloating the hell out of the pages.
I was asking if some of the protection on old PS1 games was purposefully-included bad sectors. This protection scheme was used on some systems and I just asked if PS1 were one of them, I thought I remembered it was.
The method you suggested would not work if your CD drive is auto-correcting, you'd have to use a program such as CloneCD that would read the disk in a different mode so it wouldn't repair the sectors.

rabidpoobear said:
The method you suggested would not work if your CD drive is auto-correcting, you'd have to use a program such as CloneCD that would read the disk in a different mode so it wouldn't repair the sectors.

In that case I assume it's not auto-correctingl; but dd does a byte-for-byte copy. I have successfully in the past made images of CDs with "forced bad sectors" as is seen with rootkits like SecuROM. Specifically I have played Diablo II - LOD using an image I dd'd directly (damn, dats a lot of dees) from the CD.
If you don't mind, please explain to me how CloneCD "reads the disk in a different mode", that's superior to a byte for byte copy. It's a fairly good assumption that if you copy something byte for byte, you'll end up with a perfect copy.

Why not just make a copy of the disk on a system which you haven't installed the game on? If you use a fairly clean computer (no games installed), you won't have to worry about SecuROM or SafeDisc or Starforce or whatever screwing up your rip.

Vorporeal said:
Why not just make a copy of the disk on a system which you haven't installed the game on? If you use a fairly clean computer (no games installed), you won't have to worry about SecuROM or SafeDisc or Starforce or whatever screwing up your rip.

Assuming that was aimed at me: I used to run Windows, but after trying Vista when it had just come out I switched to linux permanently.
What I'm trying to get across is that doing a byte for byte rip using a simple copy tool (e.g. dd) on a linux box or the like should yield a perfect copy whether there are bad sectors or not. I'm not sure that's correct though, but I have successfully done it with D2LOD in the past. The difference though, is that D2LOD is protected via the SecuROM rootkit and doesn't actually have bad sectors on disk. It's all a scam. I don't know if PSX disks are the same.

Bad sectors might actually be bad sectors on the disc. In theory, a game could use this as copy protection by ensuring that a certain sector isn't readable, or making sure that certain pieces of data are at certain hard-coded locations. A byte-for-byte rip might clean out these bad sectors (not sure exactly how it would function), meaning the rip would fail. It depends on a variety of factors.

Would it be inappropriate to ask for a status update on this project? What are my chances of getting to play "Croc" when my Pandora arrives? :)

kart_racer3 said:
Would it be inappropriate to ask for a status update on this project? What are my chances of getting to play "Croc" when my Pandora arrives? :)

not too sure, but the fact that it is one of the few emulators listed on the pandorawiki page, chances are pretty good. can never be too sure with the pandora though...

Check the PSX page in Pandorawiki. It's running fine. Faster than full speed.
Check the video links in the wiki. It's ready to go. Enjoy Croc!

MWeston is playing PSX in one of the videos ON his PANDORA.

(I updated the pages in the Emulator section and all Video's are on Pandora/Dev Boards)

zhasha said:
rabidpoobear said:
If you don't mind, please explain to me how CloneCD "reads the disk in a different mode", that's superior to a byte for byte copy. It's a fairly good assumption that if you copy something byte for byte, you'll end up with a perfect copy.
Vorporeal already mostly answered this. CloneCD can read a disk in a raw mode that will copy even bad sectors, if you use the Windows API which most other programs use, the CD drive will be set to auto-correct bad sectors. The reason your assumption is flawed is because you're trying to get a byte-for-byte copy of the CORRUPTED data (because they corrupted it on purpose so you couldn't just do a rip of it normally), which the CD drive will assume you don't want, and fix it for you.

I know this reply is late but since someone rezzed the thread anyway...

any dates on when the emu will be released??

and also, will it play PSX isos? or how will it work..

I wanna run FF7 so badly lol

Back