Picodrive 1.34

Has anyone gotten sound on Lunar Silver Star to come out well? The sound is always high pitched and gargled when I load it.

damned said:
It seems to happen when I put perfect vsync on.

P.S: I have a MK1

EDIT: It's the same in gpfce if I put vsync the screen gets bright and washed out.
So it means MK1 LCDs can't run @ 120/100Hz :( I'm using 120/100 instead of 60/50 because 60/50 causes severe interlacing.

fusion_power said:
I will try the new version soon. I hope, my old per-game gonfigs working with the new version. (with older updates, they always got lost)
I think I've fixed that.

fusion_power said:
And is the old Savegame-bug in "Psyco Pinball" fixed? (Game doesn't save progress so Highscores always lost after reset) You need to use the meulator Quicksaves to keep your score but this isn't the best solution
Don't remember any reports about this, so probably not. Have you tried different ROM? It also might be bad ROM header, which doesn't tell to use saves.

geo12 said:
Has anyone gotten sound on Lunar Silver Star to come out well? The sound is always high pitched and gargled when I load it.
You need to re-encode your mp3s to 44kHz (or find/make a different rip with 44kHz mp3s).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably the most perfect emulator I've every seen!! I already thought, PicoDrive couldn't be more perfect, but then the "perfect sync" option came and my mind was blown away... Many kudos to this release, Notaz! Keep up the great work!

Another mentions about the perfect Sync option... the 50Hz mode has some diagonal shimmering lines on my first edition 2X.

Also about ti not being able to do 120Hz/100Hz... perhaps it would be ok to use these refresh rates with a gamma tweak?

geo12 ... no, I haven't either...you're right, the mp3s are high pitched and garbled. The graphics are messed up too once you start the game. One of my favorite games of all time!

geo12 said:
you need mesh with the settings The sound was gargled for me but after mesingwith the settings it did work i don´t rember what i turn of/on :rolleyes:

gwaine said:
geo12 ... no, I haven't either...you're right, the mp3s are high pitched and garbled. The graphics are messed up too once you start the game. One of my favorite games of all time!
1. As I already wrote, to fix garbled sound you must re-encode mp3s to 44kHz. You may also need to adjust "sound quality" in settings.
2. To fix the graphics glitch, you must enable "scale/rotate chip" in Sega CD settings.

notaz said:
So it means MK1 LCDs can't run @ 120/100Hz :( I'm using 120/100 instead of 60/50 because 60/50 causes severe interlacing.
Notaz, i think i use the same 120Hz setting in MAME (the one you sent me by PM), i have an MK1, and i see no noticeable problem for me (and it seems to run really well in 30, 47, 49, 50 and 60 Hz games). Also nobody has report this problem in MAME (it is always activated when the application starts). :blink:

fusion_power said:
And is the old Savegame-bug in "Psyco Pinball" fixed? (Game doesn't save progress so Highscores always lost after reset) You need to use the meulator Quicksaves to keep your score but this isn't the best solution
Don't remember any reports about this, so probably not. Have you tried different ROM? It also might be bad ROM header, which doesn't tell to use saves.

pfff....hmm.... good question. I have absolutely no clue. ^^""""" It seems to be the europe version because I can play it in german. It's maybe 50Hz but I play the game at 60Hz because this seems to be the right speed.
Rom name: Psycho Pinball (W) (M5) [c][!].bin

Uh, the new perfect Vsync Option seems to be fine, I don't know what is better actually but something is better now. The Games were smooth before, now they even smoother, I don't know. The special MK2 colour correction is great to. :)

Thanks a lot Notaz....you have given life to my gp2x more than any other developer...

THANKS! :)

Franxis said:
notaz said:
Notaz, i think i use the same 120Hz setting in MAME (the one you sent me by PM), i have an MK1, and i see no noticeable problem for me (and it seems to run really well in 30, 47, 49, 50 and 60 Hz games). Also nobody has report this problem in MAME (it is always activated when the application starts). :blink:

actually my screen gets bright in mame too maybe my gp2x is faulty :(

hehe, glad to see you guys used my code here. It's fairly innacurate tho, although much better looking. Expect an update relatively soon.

geo12, others interested in running Lunar Silver Star...notaz was right about turning on scaling to fix the graphical glitches and also to use 44100 mp3 encoding. I was still having the same high-pitched, garbled music, but messed around with the quality settings in nero as notaz suggested and got it working (near)perfectly. I used the "Lame MP3" setting and then clicked on "Settings." I used a constant bit-rate of 128kbps and set the encoder to 9 (high). I didn't change anything else. In the picodrive settings set the 44100 quality and enable the ARM sound. There are still occasional pops and weird noises, 95% of the time it sounds flawless. I may have to increase the bitrate or something, not sure. Notaz thanks again for this awesome emulator and for the help getting Lunar working!

edit: It works flawlessly now, I chose 256 kbit mp3 creation with the encoder set to 9. Not a pop or a skip to be heard. Thanks again notaz!

gwaine said:
geo12, others interested in running Lunar Silver Star...notaz was right about turning on scaling to fix the graphical glitches and also to use 44100 mp3 encoding. I was still having the same high-pitched, garbled music, but messed around with the quality settings in nero as notaz suggested and got it working (near)perfectly. I used the "Lame MP3" setting and then clicked on "Settings." I used a constant bit-rate of 128kbps and set the encoder to 9 (high). I didn't change anything else. In the picodrive settings set the 44100 quality and enable the ARM sound. There are still occasional pops and weird noises, 95% of the time it sounds flawless. I may have to increase the bitrate or something, not sure. Notaz thanks again for this awesome emulator and for the help getting Lunar working!

Yup, I was having the same problems; the mp3s were reported as being 44100/256 cbr, but it still ran fast and high. I figured, what the hey, it's only a little time, so I re-encoded them to the above settings and now it work fine. ...Except - I'm still having problems with the audio being out of sync with the video. The sound seems to be a good 2 seconds ahead of the action. These are my settings:

Renderer: 8bit accurate
Scaling: off
Accurate timing: On
Accurate sprites: On
Show FPS: On
Frameskip: Auto
Enable sound: On
Sound Quality: 44100 stereo
Use ARM940: On
6 button pad: Off
Region: Auto
Use SRAM/BRAM savestates: On
Confirm savestate: writes
Save slot: 0
GP2X CPU clocks: 240Mhz

USA BIOS: us_scd2_9306.bin
EUR/JAP BIOS: Not found
CD LEDs: On
CDDA audio: On
PCM Audio: On
Read Ahead buffer: 128k
SaveRAM cart: Off
Scale/Rot. fx: On
Better Sync: On

Advanced options:
Gamma: 1.00
A_SN gamma curve and Don't save last used ROM are Off
Everything else is set to ON

I've tried changing some of the options, such as Renderer and timing settings, but nothing seems to make a difference. Any suggestions?

Great program overall - thanks for all your efforts with this!

damned said:
actually my screen gets bright in mame too maybe my gp2x is faulty :(
No, it is not faulty, i will fix your bug at least in mame for the next version (i will use the 120hz video mode only when activating the VSync...).

Hallie Miles said:
I figured, what the hey, it's only a little time, so I re-encoded them to the above settings and now it work fine. ...Except - I'm still having problems with the audio being out of sync with the video. The sound seems to be a good 2 seconds ahead of the action.
Your ripping program might be cutting out silence at beginning, so now everything plays too early. Does your rip work right with PC emus?

Back