PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

So someone mentioned that those alt accounts may in fact just be people Nadir is associated with on Linkedin. ie not different accounts of his with different names.

Just wanted to make that correction , looks like it could have been a false alert.

So yes, it does look like they were accounts of other people Nadir is connected with. ie these are not accounts of Nadirs under different names

Apologise for the false flag

But there is no evidence that they aren't all clones of the same person, right? Or maybe clones of different people?

Not sure if anyone already proposed this, but we have actor in PGS Kickstarter, they surely are not experienced in the field of handheld gadgets, updates are ridiculous ... could this KS be school project? Seminar paper if you will?
Wouldn't it be interesting social experiment for school work, i mean when you fail your Kickstarter you don't pay any fees, right?

"when you fail your Kickstarter you don't pay any *fees*" what do you mean? which fees?
[doublepost=1469191167,1469190996][/doublepost]As far as I know the only fees due to KS are when the project succeeds and it is approved by KS AFTER campaign completion. I believe KS can still cancel AFTER campaign completion.

Two guys half sloshed at a bar see a news article about a Kickstarter project getting a pile of cash. One says to the other, "I bet you 20 EUR I could come up with an idea that would get a pile of cash pledged..."

At this point I kinda wish I had held on to my $1 a little longer before cancelling my pledge so that I could comment, but I'm not about to pledge again just to comment. It's not worth it.

I like how it's the people who are making accusations about shilling in the comments (including the PGS team themselves) that are bringing up GPD more than anyone. I bet they cause more people to drop their pledges in favor for the WIN than the few people who actually advertised it.

I also like how that BB guy keeps calling the WIN a netbook even though it's about the same size as the PGS is supposed to be, and much smaller than the PGS "prototypes" currently are.

I actually wanted the PGS more than the GDP WIN when this all started. I was/am an owner of an Xperia Play and always wanted a proper successor product to it. It was a great concept, but too underpowered and under supported by Sony to really garner a proper fanbase or following. While the PGS concept still isn't exactly what I was looking for, a handheld Windows 10 machine would be even better.

But as the campaign went on and all the details started coming out of the woodwork, it was apparent that this is still just a dream without the means to materialize. Meanwhile GPD has a history of releasing handhelds and fully functioning pre-production prototypes ready. I have no doubts that they will be able to ship the product and I'm still interested in a handheld x86 computer like this. Now I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for Ithic's site to come back up or order through Dragon Box Shop directly and ship it to the US.

I think things could have been different if it wasn't a marketing guy running the show at PGS. Had it been someone with an engineering background, I think we would have seen what we wanted. Marketers want to put on a show while engineers want to see substance because they know that the marketers will just dump it on the engineers to make everything happen and deliver on their promises. Without engineers to back things up, all we get is fluff.

I like how it's the people who are making accusations about shilling in the comments (including the PGS team themselves) that are bringing up GPD more than anyone. I bet they cause more people to drop their pledges in favor for the WIN than the few people who actually advertised it.

I also like how that BB guy keeps calling the WIN a netbook even though it's about the same size as the PGS is supposed to be, and much smaller than the PGS "prototypes" currently are.
I love how BB is all about "Team GPD vs. Team PGS" while Dragonbox is on a completely different level and just shrugging. :D

I think things could have been different if it wasn't a marketing guy running the show at PGS. Had it been someone with an engineering background, I think we would have seen what we wanted. Marketers want to put on a show while engineers want to see substance because they know that the marketers will just dump it on the engineers to make everything happen and deliver on their promises. Without engineers to back things up, all we get is fluff.
I'd rather put my trust in an enthusiastic nerd soldering together neat stuff in his parent's basement (which is practically how the video game industry started) than in any shiny marketing guy drowning people in hollow blabber.

Last edited:
I actually wanted the PGS more than the GDP WIN when this all started. I was/am an owner of an Xperia Play and always wanted a proper successor product to it. It was a great concept, but too underpowered and under supported by Sony to really garner a proper fanbase or following. While the PGS concept still isn't exactly what I was looking for, a handheld Windows 10 machine would be even better.

But as the campaign went on and all the details started coming out of the woodwork, it was apparent that this is still just a dream without the means to materialize. Meanwhile GPD has a history of releasing handhelds and fully functioning pre-production prototypes ready. I have no doubts that they will be able to ship the product and I'm still interested in a handheld x86 computer like this. Now I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for Ithic's site to come back up or order through Dragon Box Shop directly and ship it to the US.

A lot of us would agree that if a device existed that was even close to what PGS advertises it would be fantastic.

But since the whole thing is basically just an artist's rendition we have no idea if it even really can be done, let alone at the promised price, let alone by a small team with limited funds and mass production experience. So sure, if an engineer were showing us a prototype that looked like the PGS renders it'd be great, but at this point we don't even really know if that's a plausible scenario.

I love how BB is all about "Team GPD vs. Team PGS" while Dragonbox is on a completely different level and just shrugging.
Microsoft vs Sony fight for the same slices of the pie, and Nintendo is making off with the cake.

I love how BB is all about "Team GPD vs. Team PGS" while Dragonbox is on a completely different level and just shrugging. :D
Dragonbox gets customers and money either way (if ED decides to sell the PGS, should it ever get made). Everytime I get concerned about how the Pyra will sell I think about how every Win sale through the shop benefits the Pyra in some way. It really is better to play the game your own way.

Microsoft vs Sony fight for the same slices of the pie, and Nintendo is making off with the cake.
That is exactly what I was thinking, however it is kinda the opposite approach. ED has his hands in a bit of everything (as it is about what he enjoys, not just profit), while Nintendo is reluctant to do new things that are successful for other companies. Look at how much Pokemon Go has helped them out (I haven't looked into it in a few days, but things got a bit better for them), and they only own a portion of that brand. I would love to play a new official Metroid game on my computer/Pyra/smartphone(?).

It is actually true that some people who backed out of the PGS , actually then went and backed the WIN. Ive seen them, some have commented such in the WIN comments section.

Overall though, the WIN had a shot in the arm when they announced the move to the Z8750. Backing picked up considerably after that. And just kept at that pace with each update like the metal backing etc. They haven't actually announced the fan and battery increase yet on Indiegogo, so expect another boost when that is announced

PGS only have them selves to blame, it's not like what's been said now is any different than what we said 3 months ago. Or indeed what was said on a number of other forums 3 months ago. They knew that everyone wanted to see a working prototype with their own PCB. They knew people were unhappy with 3rd party products being said to be prototypes. So to see them acting surprised that backers are not happy with 3rd party systems stuffed in a 3d printed shell - is ridiculous. That is the most ridiculous thing to me, as they knew all this. Heck, as I mentioned before, even as late as when they showed the final KS draft a day before they went live, I told them straight up, that if they launched with that page it would be violating KS rules and that the PGS KS would turn into a Coleco Chameleon Fiasco. The rest is history. To be honest, they are lucky the guys at Atariage didn't get on it.

Last edited:
GPD is doing it right, even though they aren't new to the scene, and had trust and goodwill from their previous handhelds. They are providing a lot of updates although a lot of information is from their Chinese forums.It's the only way to do these projects where funding is toward development, and you are not going to see the final product for a long period of time.

If Nadir is serious about this handheld he should follow the suggestions and pull the KS. I am strongly in the imaginary investor camp until proven otherwise. With that assumption, there isn't enough funding available to produce anything that would resemble the PGS that is on the campaign page. If he can regroup, dust himself off and try to fill engineering holes in the project by finding others who share his passion. He could come back with a PCB prototype and a real transparent game plan i'd probably back it. The next week will be interesting, but it is not like the last 3 weeks haven't!

Back