jrd

Still Fresh
screenshot8.jpg
screenshot91.jpg

Apex Designs have released Payback v1.1. From their update page:

New Features:

+ Mid-level save support
+ Added an option for the player to respawn if they get stuck
+ Added a message warning the player that they are about to overwrite an existing replay if they choose the same filename
+ Added an option to allow the player to delete replays
+ Disabled the handbrake when reversing as it was causing many people to think the controls were broken when going backwards
+ Added a version number to the loading screen
[cut]
Bug Fixes:

+ Fixed intermittent crash after playing the intro movie
+ Fixed an illegal memory access if the player jumped a car on top of the city wall and then got out
+ Fixed intermittent crash going from gameplay to the main menu
+ Fixed intermittent audio problems (incorrect frequency, distorted or silent)
+ Made replays more reliable
+ Fixed a small memory leak if the player saved a replay with the same name as an existing replay
+ Was unable to reproduce "briefcase guy gets stuck on fence sometimes" bug, but did adjust waypoints to reduce chances of it happening
+ Reduced sound stuttering when loading/saving

The update can be downloaded here.[/cut]

Haha they're still using the smoother screenshots ;P

I assume the updates don't affect the demo in any way, do they?

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of updates that are applied directly to the retail copy

Isn't that effectively what happens with firmware updates?

what happens if someone messes it up?

Installing the update is just a case of copying over some files to the correct directory so it'd be pretty hard to mess up. (Not quite impossible, of course, but if someone isn't comfortable doing the update then they don't have to - it is optional, after all.)

I reckon Ill be buying that in a day or so along with some other stuff from the 2x store.

Theres a couple things I still want:

* Master/Music/SFX volume control (vol buttons control master)
* Brightness Control

Nah I'm not worried, I was just wondering what would happen if someone did mess it up.. and I'm still wondering..

The update is at your own risk, if that's what you mean. (Again, just like if you bricked your GP2X whilst flashing the firmware.) But this is a really hypothetical situation - all you have to do to install the update is copy some files across. If you put them in the wrong place then you just have to delete them and put them in the right place. It's as easy as I could make it.

Besides, the only other option would be to not release the update at all for existing users, and I doubt that would go down very well. :)

Well, I am glad to see that this game continues to be updated. Will there be any extra levels/vehicles/missions available for download in the near future?

Back