Vice 2.0 (25 Jul 2008) Released

imhotep

Download here.

** C64/C128 changes
-------------------

- Improved $01 behaviour with regards to unused bit fall-off.

- New experimental NEOS and Amiga mouse support.

- Added a working RTC to the emulation of the IDE64 cartridge.

- New more precise PAL emulation, works only with double size
and double scan.

- Added support for the Action Replay 4 and StarDos cartridges.

- Improved REU compatibility

- Fixed CPU timing bug introduced in 1.22 (demo "Borderless").

- Fixed bugs in the CIA emulation (demo "So-phisticated",
W. Lorenz testsuite).

- Fixed various bugs in VIC-II emulation: Sprite x-positioning,
Latch X/Y, video mode changes, DEN bit handling, raster IRQ,
NTSC sprites and sprites in full/debugging border mode (list
of fixed demos/games too long to mention here).

- RESTORE key is handled differently now, fixing an NMI bug
because the NMI was asserted too long before.

** VIC20 changes
----------------

- Added unconnected c-bus floating byte support.

and double scan.

** PET changes
--------------

- Added support for toggling CB2 sound output line.

** PLUS4 changes
----------------

and double scan.

** Drive changes
----------------

- Fixed block allocation and interleave.

** Miscellaneous changes
------------------------

- Added support for more 3rd party basic extenders to petcat.

- Extended BMP saving to support 24bit.

- Fixed the joystick code of all emulators to handle state changes
on both joysticks at the same time.

- New monitor commands and features.

- New memmap feature which allows tracking of memory accesses,
activated by the configure option --enable-memmap.

- Fixed bug in ffmpeg/FFV1 driver. Should be really lossless now.

vic 2.0 seems to not work for me. when it loads up, it shows black screen only. thou, the menu is accessible via SELECT button. after i choose a game and try to load it, i receive black screen also...

slaanesh said:
I'm getting the same "black screen" problem as described above with x64 which is Vice's Commodore 64 emu.
black screen is on x64 and x128 executables of vice 2.0. i didn't check others.

also, i just checked, previous version of vice (1.22) works fine on GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember from previous Vice releases, there is no communication between the Vice team and GP2X users/developers. Curious if they will tackle the bug themselves or consider their work done.

I PMed gnostic who did a special version of vice in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37662

he added some nice tweaks like overclocking in steps so hopefully he can take what they did in 2.0 and make it fit gp2x better.

either way his 1.21 with tweaks is still a great way to play c64 on the gp2x.

jbrodack said:
I PMed gnostic who did a special version of vice in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37662

he added some nice tweaks like overclocking in steps so hopefully he can take what they did in 2.0 and make it fit gp2x better.

I'm one of the core members of the VICE team and I would love to expand and improve on the gp2x port, so any improvements are greatly appreciated and will wind up in the next version of VICE.

I don't own a gp2x myself, so I can't test the results of changes.

I have been fixing alot of compiler warnings in the gp2x ui and I might have made a mistake somewhere, this upcoming week I will revert the ui to what it was before I fixed the warnings, and I will compile a new binary zip and post a link to it here.

Signed, Marco van den Heuvel.

blacky said:
jbrodack said:

I'm one of the core members of the VICE team and I would love to expand and improve on the gp2x port, so any improvements are greatly appreciated and will wind up in the next version of VICE.

I don't own a gp2x myself, so I can't test the results of changes.

I have been fixing alot of compiler warnings in the gp2x ui and I might have made a mistake somewhere, this upcoming week I will revert the ui to what it was before I fixed the warnings, and I will compile a new binary zip and post a link to it here.

Signed, Marco van den Heuvel.

Some tweaks would be nice. Is there any chance to get this to run faster on the GP2X? I remember past versions of Vice were pretty slow on the GP2X as they didn't run full speed without massive overclock.

Thanks for everything.

@all:
i'm at work at the moment.. (08:42am here)
i'll work on it when i'm home..

@blacky:
i just downloaded the source to try to compile and it seems that gp2x is removed from config.sub (why?)

it compiles fine but i can't test the executable, i don't have my gp2x with me.

Does calling up the menu pause the game yet?

This is the only reason I often still use Frodo. VICE is great, but on the move there is no quick way to pause the game. You have to flick up the keyboard and work out what that game's pause key is...

...can be tricky if you're changing tubes at King's Cross / someone rings the doorbell / a pan boils over on the stove etc etc...

I've suggested it a few times, and I know it's only a small detail, but it's standard behaviour in all the other emulators. If you could make the menu pause the emulation then that would make it far more usable on the tube etc for me...!

®

Another problem which i've read about with gp2x vice, is that there is a sound delay, so all your games are out of sync. Could this be sorted with this new version?

also.. if there would be anyway to get touchpad support for the 200..that would be awesome..

Speed on this one is great. if you go below 200 it does pause every so often.
Graphics on the games are really sharp and the colours look great.

The only thing that I like more on Frodo now is the fact that you can map your own keys to the GP2X buttons on frodo.

foleyjo said:
The only thing that I like more on Frodo now is the fact that you can map your own keys to the GP2X buttons on frodo.
Yes, I agree, that's definately something that VICE would benefit from along with menu pause.

We seem to get fairly regular updates to the core emulator, but not very much in terms of GP2X specific usability. Great emulator, but a little GP2X love would be great too.

Glad to see the update, haven't tried it yet. I agree that it really needs menu-pause and button mapping. At least the ability to assign UP to a button. Makes platformers much easier to enjoy.

foleyjo said:
Speed on this one is great. if you go below 200 it does pause every so often.
Graphics on the games are really sharp and the colours look great.

How is the sound on this one at the default 200 MHz? I am still using frodo but may go to this if the sound and speed is as good as Frodo.

gnostic thanks for the response. I just appreciate the fact that you're looking at this.

are some people getting this version to work and others not?

anyway in gnostic's 1.21 I never noticed a sound problem.

I've been using vice over frodo since that version of vice. Its compatible with everything while frodo can be finicky. at around 225 everything seems to play without pauses. I didn't stick with 1.22 as it seemed like a small step backwards from gnostic's version.

anyway seems that pausing when using the menu and button configuring are probably 2 biggest things missing from vice2x that have never been in any version we've had.

thanks vice team for the great emulator. able to play all the old games with it as well as newer homebrew.

Back