Parallel Production and new boards

Before we see color polls all over the place again, I'd like to remind the people here that the available color choices depends on the plastics being used in the case productions. The case manufacturer has yet to offer the choices. At least that's what I was told last time I asked ED about the case colors.
So as of right now, making more polls won't yield more than the previous ones we had already. The real choices are not available yet.

+1
Colour itself is actualy a minor issue, first we need to know what material options are available and what colours are available for these. Will it be a flat surface, will it be rough, will it have some "metallic" effect or this nice "stone" surface we've seen in some prototype pix?
After the material is choosen, we can pic the colour(s).
So ED first need some samples of what's actualy available. I hope for real durable plastic, better quality than the Pandora case had.

Awesome! What about the others emulator? (Like Gba and Snes?)

I compiled mednafen during Gamescom and tried the snes, it was super smooth with no frameskip (it's choppy on the Pandora). I don't remember the cpu usage.
I think I tried GBA too, but don' remember well (everything from mednafen was smooth anyway)

I just hope this time we get a case colour that's the same as the paint on top of it.  I tend to assume a complicated case like this will still need painting, as inherent stresses will be present as the case cools in the mould which will discolour patches.  But if it's mostly the same colour as the paint, scratches will be less obvious.

Color was only needed to cover the shrinking marks on the Pandora case.
The Pyra shouldn't need that, but we might apply scratch-resistant fixture.

I compiled mednafen during Gamescom and tried the snes, it was super smooth with no frameskip (it's choppy on the Pandora). I don't remember the cpu usage.
I think I tried GBA too, but don' remember well (everything from mednafen was smooth anyway)
I hope we will be able to run virtual machines with 2 GB's of RAM. (one for the vm of course) Also, what about psp emulation or dreamcast? (I am not interested in dreamcast, just asking for the power)

I hope we will be able to run virtual machines with 2 GB's of RAM. (one for the vm of course) Also, what about psp emulation or dreamcast? (I am not interested in dreamcast, just asking for the power)
There was no 3D driver at the gamescom, so I couldn't try.
So, no fact about PPSSPP, but last year, we got reicast running (with a 3D driver on an older OS), and it was fullspeed too!.

Really awesome news! So we'll get the Pyra in 2 months? ^^ I'd also like a dark red. I still don't understand, why the Pandora was painted a different color than the plastic. Please don't do that again!

Great news ED, I'm still standing by with my wallet open, and cash in hand :lol:

As far as color goes, I think we should avoid black or silver at launch, as you don't want the Pyra to be confused with the Pandora. It will be real easy for the average consumer at a quick glance, to see the Pyra in black and say, oh, that's a Pandora(I want nothing to do with that). Right out the gate, you've lost potential customers.

I think a rich red color would be awesome(make a very distinctive statement), and set the Pyra apart from the Pandora, which I personally think is key, but what do I know?

Chris

I still don't understand, why the Pandora was painted a different color than the plastic. Please don't do that again!

I think I am starting to get the hang of these quotes.

As far as color goes, I think we should avoid black or silver at launch, as you don't want the Pyra to be confused with the Pandora. It will be real easy for the average consumer at a quick glance, to see the Pyra in black and say, oh, that's a Pandora(I want nothing to do with that). Right out the gate, you've lost potential customers.

Shouldn't be a problem, Pyra has a big glowing logo on it.  I don't know what the insert will look like with the LEDs off, so it might look all black.  I think black is a decent choice, and I kinda doubt someone will be on the Pyra order page at one of the shops and not notice it isn't a Pandora.

Huzzah and Hurrah, all this great news, someone tell me it's christmas!
Scratch resistance would be a much appreciated feature. I do use my Pandora quite often on the move, and despite the case, it does pick up scratches now and again.

I want to know the price of a prototype for testing. I'm being 100% legitimate here. I don't want one so I can get my hands on one early... I want to truly test the system in a daily use environment and "run it through the wringer."   :D

ED can you give me a price estimate because this is something I am really interested in helping with! ^_^

I want to know the price of a prototype for testing. I'm being 100% legitimate here. I don't want one so I can get my hands on one early... I want to truly test the system in a daily use environment and "run it through the wringer."   :D

ED can you give me a price estimate because this is something I am really interested in helping with! ^_^

For you it would be 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001000000000000000000000000000000000

Last edited by a moderator:

My person is in the same boat (and some people were quick on the "put it on Ebay" remarks the last time it was brought up), and know a few individuals within close proximity, that would like to tinker/hack around with it programming-wise (a couple friends are developers so they would be hugely interested).  Personally I'm interested in hardware testing and everyday use as DrHAX is (and stress testing the heck out of everything).  Good faith that ED will have enough for his core developers.  I don't agree with "just putting them on Ebay" like someone suggested before, as this is just stifling to those whom could help out with additional input - rather than being in a "FIRST" trophy case not being used.  I'm willing to pay whatever it is that ED is asking for this device, he did state that it would be quite more expensive than production runs (I can eat the cost).

I'd like the idea of getting my paws on one of those pre-production Pyras, even if more expensive (is to be expected).  Have you estimated cost of producing 20?
Not yet. My guess is that they'll be about twice as expensive, though.
My biggest fear of the prototypes is they're snatched up and put on a shelf for a few years to only be shown to the light for profit. Theres a CC unit on ebay going for 699$! right now... With a cracked hinge.. Needless to say I FEEL disgusted if somebody saw the pyra prototypes as "investment" and have no interest in helping the project grow. If the prototype is twice the cost of a normal production unit that may put me in a bind because I work minimal wage.. But I'll see what I can scrap together.

I'm 100% serious about stress testing a Pyra and even seeing if the modules work in the USA market. Even having a "regular" smuck having a prototype could help with software development as a test subject. 

If ED wants to make back some of the costs throwing some of the prototypes on ebay for a profit is a valid option.. but please...please don't throw them all up there. 

For you it would be 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001000000000000000000000000000000000

64?! PERFECT! 

You can see a MegaDrive emulator running on the LCD (using the rotator) while X is running via HDMI out.
Back when Nikolaus (?) figured out how the rotating stuff worked, there were problems regarding tearing (or something similar), has this been worked out now ?
Is that useful? Probably not - but it was fun

:)
Well, it's the same way DraStic works on the Pandora, so you can be sure DraStic also works with two monitors on the Pyra.

Of the top of my head: I have a whole lot of scanned, self drawn (on squared paper) maps for various games on NES and DOS which could be shown on the screen while I play the game, so I don't get lost easily

All I can say is

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money.jpg

The Case

The moulds for the case are ALSO currently being manufactured.
I don't have a date for them yet, but they should also probably be finished sometime in October, maybe November.
That means we don't need to use any more 3D printed cases but real plastic ones.
It also means we need to think about the color soon..

Be sure to check that the colour does not impact the quality of the plastics. It's well know (for those who have experience with moulds) that colouring can significantly impact the quality of the moulded piece, and you need to do a number of rigorous tests before considering it to be "done". I hope your suppliers is planning some pilot runs and tests following those to ensure the end result is as expected.

Im also looking forward, for the first Real Pree Produktion Units whit the real case and keymat..

Seems like i have to save now a bit money for my unit..

Im for blue or green, but black is also nice..

My Lenovo Notebook is Red which is also a nice colour :)

Back