Release PanMESS Beta

Thanks mcobit,

I had re-flashed recently to HF beta 2 and forgot to reinstal the codec pack.

All working now!

Mindlord - The Nes emulator is fantastic, is it possible to sort the sound?

You can sacrifice a bit of speed in other systems to get correct sound by changing the line the configures the sound from "oss" to "alsa" in /media/sd_card/pandora/appdata/panmess/.advance/advmess.rc.

So far the NES seems to be the only system that behaves like that, which is why oss it's still the default. I might make alsa default in the next version if enough people care.

Any chance of some Mac Classic Love? :3

Just tested out the NES emulator, runs fine as default except for when you press multiple keys at once (IE, In Super Mario Bros 3 you can't run and jump at the same time)

Last edited by a moderator:

Just tested out the NES emulator, runs fine as default except for when you press multiple keys at once (IE, In Super Mario Bros 3 you can't run and jump at the same time)
RE: Mac Classic.

I'm not entirely sure what a "Mac Classic" is. If it requires a bios and is supported by AdvanceMess, then if you put the correct bios in the /media/SD_CARD/pandora/appdata/panmess/rom/ folder then it will appear in the list of available emulators.

RE: NES and mutiple keys.

I do not have this problem at all. Did you reconfigure any of the keys?

RE: Mac Classic.

I'm not entirely sure what a "Mac Classic" is. If it requires a bios and is supported by AdvanceMess, then if you put the correct bios in the /media/SD_CARD/pandora/appdata/panmess/rom/ folder then it will appear in the list of available emulators.

RE: NES and mutiple keys.

I do not have this problem at all. Did you reconfigure any of the keys?

Mac Classic is supported but I haven't managed to get it working. (Mac Classic = One of the Original Macintosh Computers)

I have had problems getting Atari Lynx to show up in the menu, using the correct Rom file and image folder has "lynx" folder inside. Not sure what the problem is there. Looks like its not supported in the emu (Its in the xml file though)

As for NES, I'll have to look into this later as I think I may have needed to restart MESS.

I can`t seem to get this going either! I have the vectrex.zip in roms and I found a couple of BBC ones..

but the MESS screen pops up for a second then disappears!

Mcorbit: about the codec pack.. for the life of me I can`t seem to install it.. if I click and hold, then hit execute nothing happens. ( but I can view an avi with mplayer ) that mean it`s installed? because it never showed any install process. Even if I put the codec.pnd in my menu it doesn`t display. This is on both kernals...

weird,.

Do you hav mplayer on the nand on do you use panplayer or smplayer2? Those two have their own build included.

You should see a progressbar, when the codec pack installs. Did you try to redownload it and try again?

Yeah got it thanks... just couldn`t remember how to install the codec pack ( also me forgetting where it puts it ( in system )) :)

It doesn`t do the BBC does it?

Oh.. I put both roms in there and it doesn't come up in the list.

I'm guessing there's different versions of the bios files??

Sent from my Amiga using the cli.

Yep there are different versions floating around, but I've never had any problems with any of the versions I've tried.

The parent rom has to be labelled bbcm.zip. You have to have at least that one or none of the clones will work.

Hi

how can i get the COLECO working?

I put the games in the software section,but when starting,i only get the COLECO screen and nothing happens.

greetings Walter

I'm pretty sure Coleco works.... <runs off to test it> Yep, works fine. Pitfall II is wonderful on it. :D

It requires a bios though - coleco.zip to be in the roms folder.

Hi Mindlord

I have put coleco.zip in the rom section.I put the game roms in the software section and also in the image section.When starting theColeco emu,i get the COLECO screen.Then i press SELECT on my Pandora and choose Filemanager inMess,then cartridge run and then i choose a game.But then nothing happens,i see the COLECO screen again.What am i doing wrong :(

greetings Walter

put you cartridges in /images/coleco/ and the will show up the PanMess chooser. the file manager inside the emulator is still broken.

For those who were disappointed that the FUSE ZX Spectrum emulator hasn't worked properly since HF6a4, I can confirm that the Spectrum emulation in this version of MESS seems to work well.

I say seems, because I couldn't work out how to load anything - is Select supposed to bring up a menu? Maybe I borked it testing loads of other systems first, I'll try again later.

FWIW many of the 8 bit systems I tried with BIOS files fired up just fine too. Very promising!

Hi Mindlord

I did this,but Panmess did not show any Coleco When choosing the Coleco system,i get only the Coleco starting screen,which says

Turn game off Before inserting cartridge or Expansion module

I use Kernel 3.2 and the newest firmware

Maybe,i have the wrong PANMESS version???

Where can i find the actual version?????

greetings Walter

Hi Mindlord

solved the problem :)

I used the old Kernel;now it works.Seems that Kernel 3.2 was the problem.....

greetings Walter

Hi Mindlord

BTW,how about a list,with working systems?It would also be great,to know how to call the folders,where you must put the games.

greetings Walter

@gambler172: I thought about making a wiki page for tracking how well individual systems work. Sure would be nice if someone could do that. ;)

It's interesting that the new kernel breaks things. I will have make time to address that before SuperZaxxon becomes the official firmware.

@Everyone who is still interested in this project.

I got assigned to a new project at work and haven't had time to do much of anything. Hell, I'm lucky to be writing this. I am still interested in getting more out of MESS on the Pandora, but I'm afraid that I've been placed into a new Contract that may or may not be chewing through the time I was setting aside to work on these things. We will see once I get the logistics of the new contract in writing.

To clarify on where to put your software files. Whatever the system name is, you need to create a folder in images to hold the disk, tape, cartrige, punchcards, whatever files. The folder names need to match exactly to the bios .ZIP file names to work properly.

In the case of the ZX Spectrum the common bios ZIP filename is spectrum.zip - therefore you need to place you spectrum files in the /images/spectrum/ folder and they will show up in the chooser.

This is true even for the clone machines. If say, you have some Dragon software that needs 64k, you will need to place the dsk, cas, or pak file for that software in the /images/dragon64 folder in order to load the right "clone" for that software.

More examples, The Apple //e and the Apple //gs would have separate folders. You would but //e stuff in /images/apple2e and //gs stuff in /images/apple2gs.

When I say "chooser" I mean the screen where Duke Nukem says, "Let's Rock". Again, the file manager inside the emulator itself does not work, and I have not quite figured out why yet. You can navigate and select files all day long, but whatever you select does not stick. This means games that require the swapping of disks, or that are on more than one disk, are not going to work right now. When you are done with the disk you're playing, back out of the emulator itself, and back to the chooser and select another software image.

Back