Release PanMESS Beta

I wonder if the problem with the ROM selector could be related to the way PNDs are mounted. I had a program the other day that if it did too much folder browsing or IO, I was getting errors of the like "NFS stale file error". If I went to the same directory and files through /media everything was fine.

I tried the Vic20 and that loads but is not full screen like the Vice version is.

I struggled and finally got the Ultimax/VC10 (I used Max as the rom filename) to list games but cannot load them. I think the driver I have from the latest version is too new as it was split from an older c64 version according mess what's new.

If anyone has the correct driver please pm me. Thanks.

I do not think the fixed pnd is out yet on the repo. For the roms you need roms compatible with mess v0.102.

Yes, it is true that I'm a busy busy guy and haven't yet had time to make the needed changes. I have at least cracked open the source again and applied zedtop's patch, but I have yet to nail down the menu problem. It doesn't help that I've already got a lot going on this week, but I will continue to make time when I can.

Hey Mindlord,

I found one of the things that prevent the file manager from working correctly. The function osd_fopen in advance/osd/fileio.c assumes any path thrown at it will be relative. But with the current setup it is getting absolute paths. There is still something else down the line which does not work because I tried to force it to accept absolute paths and it still does not work.

Found a few minutes to work on this finally. :D

Cross your fingers that my hack to get the file selector working is successful.

Hello,

I try to run Genesis games but don't understand what's wrong.

Made a genesis directory in /image , tried .bin and .zip files but none appear in the menu.

Someone can help ?

Thanx !

I'll save you some time, and tell you now that Genesis does not run full speed at this time. I tried Sonic the Hedgehog and it ran about half speed. The folder should be exactly the same as the MESS Bios name. For the US sega geneisis: "gen_usa"

Is there a list of the bios filenames for all the platforms that don't require a BIOS file around somewhere?  I'm trying to get Amstrad 464plus stuff running - I've tried Amstrad, amstrad, CPC, CPC464, cpc464 and Amstrad CPC464plus to no avail.

Oh, and while I'm here, the docs link under Menu->Documentation is broken.  Looks like it doesn't contain a PanMESS.TXT file as it claims.

Works really nicely for Vectrex though, so my evening was worth something at least!

@Levi

MESS bios files should remain zipped and be placed in the ROMS folder. Disk or Tape images go in the images/[biosname] folder

Amstrad bios files in

amsterd.zip

cpc300.zip

cpc400.zip

cpc400s.zip

cpc464.zip

cpc664.zip

Ah, sorry - I missed out a bit of context.  I meant to ask under which folder name should I put the disc images.  Any of the above bios names?

Thanks for the list of bios files though.  I seem to have a different set myself, though I think I can fix that easily.

Edit: I guess I put the disc images under the folder named after the machine to specify what configuration it needs to run under.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically anything 8 bits or less run well. 16 bit systems are too slow to be any fun. Have a specific system in mind?
Not especially, I was just wondering what worked well.  I mean, you can look at the AdvanceMESS Wiki, of course, but that tells me nothing about what works good with PanMESS on andora, tyou know?

So, basically, 8 bits should work.

So, tell me about the following, if they work well??

Atari 2600

Atari Lynx

Atari 7800

Gameboy

Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance

Original NES

GameGear (SEGA)

Sega Master System

BBC

TRS-80

Commodore 64 (VICE)

Coleco

MSX

If these work or not - and if there are any tricks you need to do to make any of these work?

Also, do you need a seperate rom folder for each different system?

These are emu's I currently have all of them on my Desktop - but if I could replace them all with one icon for PanMESS...and still keep the original emu's in the Menu section...would help to clean up my Desktop and put more things on it.

As to 16-bit systems - anyone have any luck with

Sega Genesis, SNES, or PC Engine?

Given the option of using a dedicated emulator you should take that route, however I don't see any issues emulating any of the machines you listed having a problem.

Given the option of using a dedicated emulator you should take that route, however I don't see any issues emulating any of the machines you listed having a problem.
True, but I am thinking in terms of emu's I do not actually use very often - I'd still keep the original emu's on menu only and MESS on the desktop for quick access.

Back