Release PanMESS Beta

Hi Mindlord

Tried out some more systems.

Atari 2600,Atari 5200,Coleco Adam,work great.Would be happy to see you continuing on this project.

greetings Walter

Hi Mindlord,

Any time you can spare to improve Panmess in the future is greatly appreciated.

It took a little time to get it going (your new post really helped) but the BBC emulator works really well. I've been playing a lot of Imogen.

Congrats on the new job, hope you got a fat rise as well!

@tuki_cat - Thanks for the encouragement. No fat raise, but a definate acknowledgement of my abilities, so it's a foot in the door kinda deal.

@gambler172 - I ran the current build against a freshly installed SuperZaxxon beta 5 install and it worked just fine on the 3.2 kernel. Could I trouble you for the output of /tmp/pndrun_panmess.out of a failed run on your machine in a spoiler here?

Hi Mindlord

I changed again to the new Kernel and now it works :)

Do not know,which problem i had.

Works great now on new and on old Kernel.

greetings Walter

Hi,

is the source available somewhere? I would like to try to fix the coco3 squashed video problem. The difference with the others cocos is that its maximum vertical resolution is 240. adding the overscan makes it impossible to stretch by doubling the lines on the pandora

I'll upload the source very soon and post a link here. Although, I'm not sure what you mean by the squashed CoCo3 resolution. I made sure to integer scalle all requested video modes. If you make it any bigger the aspect ratio will be wrong. If you nudge the overscan off the edge of the screen, some fullscreen OS/9 applications will render offscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The squashed Aspect Ratio affected a couple of systems I tried briefly with it, most notably Amstrad cpc464, it filled the vertical but is squeezed horizontally. Not 100% sure which other systems had this (I just threw all the 8 bit bioses I had into it!) it was a while ago. The Spectrum works well but it's very small on screen!

Finally i see a portable version of MESS!it was always about mame in all portable devices,but finally we can have it:)where i can check the list of systems supported by this build

Hi,

I was successful in making something that did not squash the coco3 screen. Seems like it was a bug that got fixed in mess 0.105. It is not hardware accelerated and has some weirdness with the UI input. Probably something I screwed up while patching this up. If anybody can do a better job than me, the tree I made is included (only advancemess)

(Deleted attachment because it was outdated)

Actually I seem to have resolved theweird things I was having. Problem remains is that the fix for the coco3 does not work if "display_asp = yes". If this is not a problem I could post a diff against the source you posted. It will make it pretty much to the level of mess 106 also.

Edit:

I checked a few systems and it seems that option is required to get a correct image. There is probably a bug also in the advance part makes the coco3 not to output correctly. I do remember a real coco3 picture in hires mode does not fit an ntsc tv. I recall losing the left part (about two columns in 40 columns text mode)

If display_asp is on, it should calculate the correct aspectratio from the imagedimensions it blits to. I added this to use the omap hardwarescalingfeature. Maybe there is a bug somewhere in the calculation that messes up if thhere are some strange resolutions.

Works for almost every mame game though. Have you tried to set magnify to 2 in the videomenu? Does that resolve the issues?

Edit: the relevant parts should be easy to find as I wrapped them in ifdef PANDORA. Hope mindlord did that, too ;)

Ok, I see what is wrong, the max res for a coco3 is 640x225 which is not 4:3. I do not know for sure how to implement it. It might be something like that in vsdl.c: (could be better made, just what I have in mind right now)

#ifdef PANDORA

adv_conf* cfg_context = CONTEXT.cfg;

mame_game* game_context = CONTEXT.game;

const game_driver* g_driver = (const game_driver*)game_context;

machine_config machine;

expand_machine_driver(g_driver->drv, &machine);

if ((conf_bool_get_default(cfg_context, "display_asp")) == 1) {

float aspect = (float)(machine.aspect_x)/(float)(machine.aspect_y);

if (aspect <= 1.667f) {

float omap_x = (aspect*480.000f);

char temp_string[10];

char temp_string2[10];

strcpy(temp_string2,"x480");

sprintf ( temp_string, "%d%s", (int) omap_x, temp_string2 );

strcpy(temp_string2,temp_string);

printf(temp_string2);

setenv("SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE", temp_string2, 1);

}

else {

float omap_y = (800.000f/aspect);

char temp_string[10];

char temp_string2[10];

strcpy(temp_string2,"800x");

sprintf ( temp_string, "%s%d", temp_string2, (int) omap_y );

strcpy(temp_string2,temp_string);

printf(temp_string2);

setenv("SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE", temp_string2, 1);

}

}

else {

setenv("SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE", "fullscreen", 1);

}

#endif

my big problem is that game_driver and machine_config are in srcmess/driver.h and I have not found a way to include those without having hell break loose on me yet :p

The trick is that mess or mame will fill those with right values if the driver specify a custom aspect ratio or put a 4:3 for drivers wishing to use defaults

other things that might be interesting is machine_config.screen_width, machine_config.screen_height and machine_config.default_visible_area

Nevermind, I think I found how to do it and it seems to compile. Will test it shortly

Attachments

• panmess.diff.zip
    820 bytes · Views: 133
Thanks for your efforts. I'll incorporate this as soon as I can. I also intend on trying to fix the ROM selector in AdvanceMess itself so you can switch media without backing out to AdvanceMenu. Calling this an official release too, I guess - Since there haven't been any other bug reports.

Back