PanMAME Betatesting

Hi,

Just tried PanMame with only one game, Hang-On, and it was too slow to be playable :(

I tried to change some settings, like frameskip, with no luck...

But thanks anyway for your work on this emulator !

Bye, Magic Sam

You can try to overclock a bit. Chasehq runs good for me at 900mhz.

I am sorry, if I cannot do much right now, as I have the flu and I am in bed most of the time. Also massive headache, so looking at my 1600x1200 screen is not really possible right now.

As said, the source is out there, if anyone wants to improve it further.

If games run slower in the latest version, please use 0.106.1.7 for now. Maybe with john4ps sdl, if you are sensitive to tearing.

Sorry again :(

Anyone have hints at getting sound working in Berzerk? Put the file in sample folder but still quiet.
Change "sound_samples no" to "sound_samples yes" in appdata/panmame/.advance/advmame.rc on line 282

notaz,

Try renaming the appdata/panmame folder, run PanMAME again to let the panmame appdata respawn

Then copy your roms and snaps over. It should work then.

Else try 0.106.1.7 in the repo archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't install anything.

Just copy the roms before relaunching PM, or you'll get this bug :

Previews are not needed. It should work with at least one valid rom in a folder called rom in the appdata.

Actually, i had crashes, but never had a conplete lockup in the menu...

mcobit,

I hope you are feeling better.

I was looking into getting AdvanceMAME 106.1 to perform better and found this:

http://mamedev.org/u...snew_0106u1.txt

0.106u1

-------

IMPORTANT NOTE: Major video-related changes are beginning in the

system. Attempts will be made to keep the existing video code

working to a large degree, but some features may be broken or

working improperly until the video changes are complete. Most

notably, in this release, RGB effects are broken for non-Direct3D

blitting. For the moment, do not report anomalies or problems in

the video system. If you like a nice, stable MAME, please stick

with the 0.106 release. You have been warned.

And this:

http://aarongiles.com/?p=208

mamespeed.png

I don't know how far 106.1 is into the 107 cycle, but from the note above I think the 107 changes were starting since then.

Do you have the time to build AdvanveMAME 106.0 with your changes?

http://sourceforge.n...cemame/0.106.0/

Or perhaps could you please update your .97 MAME version to work with the current menu (needs the set_aspect option and limit the 3x resolutions) ?

I want to test the performance of the older versions.

PS: Thanks for PanMAME 106.1 I enjoy using it. I am merely curious about the effects of the 106u1 changes vs 106.0 and older builds.

EDIT: I am not suggesting changing the direction that you are going in. I would only want the compatible binaries to test.

I suppose when you post your modified source code I could use a diff tool to find the changes, or maybe you have documented them?

Thanks again!!!

The 0.106.1 version of advancemame is not u1. It is just 0.106 with the improvements from advqncemame. It was the last version of advancemame, as later versions had those changes in the videocode.

From a speed pov, it should perform equally to 0.97.

There are more details in the changelog in the source, so there is not much performanceimprovement, if you want more recent mame. All later versions will have the new videocode and will be slower. Older versions, that are less compatible, but faster will have no advantage over mame4all.

And thanks, Im feeling a bit better now.

Back to the pc maybe tomorrow.

Edit: For my changes: they are all wrapped into #ifdef / #ifndef PANDORA

Should be easy to find. And it should be easy to apply these changes to older sources, too :)

Actually, something comes into my mind:

The advmenu frontend is able to use different emulators, so maybe I could just build an older version, like the one mame4all uses and apply the patches to it, then there cold be two romfolders, that take roms for either version and strt them from the same menu...

What do you think?

I've finished my SDL update:

http://boards.openpa...post__p__132611

..which was partially done for PanMAME, but I couldn't test in here because of that weird deadlock. Could someone test it for those cases that needed different libs for different uses (was it tearing elimination and some large resolution)?

The advmenu frontend is able to use different emulators, so maybe I could just build an older version, like the one mame4all uses and apply the patches to it, then there cold be two romfolders, that take roms for either version and strt them from the same menu...

What do you think?
The more versatile, the better. MAME with options is :D

What do you think?
I think that that's what people have envisioned as the "ideal" Pandora MAME package all along. ;) I'd love to be able to condense both MAME versions that I currently use, into just one, myself!

Seems a good idea.

Seeing the state of mame, that's the only thing to do to provide a ready-to-mame config.

What do you think?

That would be awesome! I just went back and tried your PanMAME .97 and the speed difference is significant.

Gyruss and Gauntlet are 100% in PanMAME .97 at 800 MHz without frame-skip. Gyruss and Gauntlet do not reach 100% in PanMAME 106 at 1000 MHz without frame-skip.

EDIT: Gauntlet will reach 100% in PanMAME 106 at 900 MHz without frame-skip but with vsync turned off in panmame/script/advmenu.sh [export SDL_OMAP_VSYNC=0]

EDIT2: Try export SDL_OMAP_VSYNC=0 in /script/advmenu.sh things really speed up and seem smoother!

EDIT3: PanMAME .97 is still faster.

Thanks!!!

..which was partially done for PanMAME, but I couldn't test in here because of that weird deadlock. Could someone test it for those cases that needed different libs for different uses (was it tearing elimination and some large resolution)?

I tested your new SDL library with PanMAME 106.1.6 as it was the last version that allowed the larger resolutions to be selected.

Everything worked fine and those larger resolutions no longer crashed.

Note: Extract and edit the panmame/script/advmenu.sh to fix the export SDL_OMAP_FORCE_DOUBLEBUF=1 line or double buffering will not work. This is for PanMAME versions prior to 106.1.7

Your new SDL library also work with the latest PanMAME version 106.1.9 but mcobit put in a fix so that it no longer tries the higher than 800x600 resolutions. PanMAME 106.1.6 can still scale to greater than 800x600.

Thanks!!!

Thank you very much notaz

I'll be back to testing today, what dgame reports seems to be promising. :)

What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me, if it'll keep the speed of MAME4ALL and also offer the more advanced compatability of your newer version, it sounds like a win/win scenario! :)

Well, it would be faster for old roms,but newer ones will of course not get faster by this

Back