PanMAME Betatesting

that's true, but we'd get the best of both worlds under one PND roof at least ;)

Which versions should I include! 0.37b16.1, 0.78, 0.98 and 0.106 seem sane from the comparison posted earlier, I think.

What do you think?

Wearing my noob hat proudly (as ever), I'm going to ask, if you add the 0.37 version (isn't that the one in MAMA4ALL as is), will you get the exact same performance as that PND?(or was it optimised for the Pandora in some way at the time?)

It has some optimizations, I think. But those were more to run better on he gp2x. Everything should be fullspeed on Pandory anyway.

But if I can, I could try to use the mame4all sources.

Actually, this is an idea of craigix, I found this, while googling around:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50241-latest-mame-for-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__769174

Lets see, if it works out. I need more time :(

I think I'll try to change the romlists for each version, so that it will only run the games, It can run. So for example, games that run with mame4all will be launched with it, games, that can only run with 0.78 will use this version, rather than 0.106, as it should run them faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a practical solution, how would you determine which roms work best on which version though?

(null)

mcobit,

That sounds like a good idea. However you may run into problems with the ROMs being different.

Also some games like Robotron were fixed in version .96 and ran too fast prior.

What I would suggest is support for the full versions of MAME you mentioned above with individual ROM folders and individual ROM lists in the menu.

Switch between emulators using the menu or the "event_emulator" key.

That way people can drop in their ROMs in the respective directory:

panmame/rom37b16

panmame/rom78

panmame/rom98

panmame/rom106

That should save you the work of having to manually create a master list and allows the user to choose which MAME emulator to use.

What games show up on each list depends on what ROMS are available.

With MAME there is a balance between older/faster and newer/accurate/slower.

It is not always that the older/faster version is better.

Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

I think dgame is right. I will leave it to the user to select which rom they want to play with wich version.

But I will need to check, how this can be done, when you have the same emulator 3 times ;) . Should be doable though.

Edit: The Pnd will blow up a lot though. I think this will easily be 60mb...

mcobit, can this frontend support all emulators? could this possibly be the holy grail rom lister that I can use for pretty much all Pandora emulators? or am I getting ahead of myself? thanks by the way, it's awesome

Ok, I am back to my PC and from the looks of it, it will be a lot of work getting those mameversions to work together or even to compile.

Also there should be a consistant ingame interface for all versions, what is something I think I am not really able to do.

But first I will update PanMAME to include Notaz SDL and some other small fixes.

The big MultiMAME will have to wait, sorry.

sparkymark: Yes, this fontend can handle all kinds of emulators, that can be started from commandline, but it would need to have all these emulators packed into one pnd, what makes it not really practicable.

But that is my opinion. Feel free to experiment! :)

Cool,

Well if you can update the .97 build you previously did to work with the current menu (needs set_aspect) then I could work on setting up the AdvanceMenu config files to switch between .97 and 106.

All I would need is the working binary to get started. The previous .97 build goes to black screen when using notaz latest SDL.

Thanks!!!

@mcobit

Do you still have any magic in mind about Donkey Kong II?

He stated that it was too much work to get it in , but I did send hime a dkongex driver from mame .106 :) so maybe we will see something

Cool,

Well if you can update the .97 build you previously did to work with the current menu (needs set_aspect) then I could work on setting up the AdvanceMenu config files to switch between .97 and 106.

All I would need is the working binary to get started. The previous .97 build goes to black screen when using notaz latest SDL.

Thanks!!!

But is the difference between 0.97 and 0.106 that significant, that it would be good to have a choice between those versions?

In my limited testing .97 seemed much faster than 106 in some games, but I can not compare fairly as 106 works with the updated SDL and .97 does not.

At 800 Mhz .97 seems to perform better in Gauntlet than with 106:

Auto 100% -100% in .97 vs Auto 75% - 100% in 106, both in crowded areas. Which means version 106 only displays 75% of frames compared to 100% in version .97.

I keep mentioning .97 because I know you had the compile for that working already.

Thanks!

Ok, If you like, you could just patch the 0.97 source and start it with the latest sdl.

Or you will have to wait a bit, till I get the time to do that.

From what I would suspect, it won't be a huge difference, but who knows.

Ok, If you like, you could just patch the 0.97 source and start it with the latest sdl.

Or you will have to wait a bit, till I get the time to do that.

From what I would suspect, it won't be a huge difference, but who knows.

Thanks,

We won't know for sure until we try.

Take your time, it is just for fun :)

So I have an entire 0.139 set of roms (29GB). I also have the 0.106 dat. I keep trying to get the hang of romcentre, but it takes ages to run on my machine. What is the easiest way to convert to 0.106 and remove all the non working games - and perhaps the games that take up loads of space and aren't worth keeping for now so I can transfer them all to my Pandy. I've installed the 6GB of game previews, I want my collection perfect dammit :)

Back