Pandora/wiz Softcase Prototype

Choose a number, look below

• Total voters

I like these. :) But they definitely need a way to be closed, like a drawstring.

And make sure the string is tough. I like to swing my expensive equipment around. It's pretty rare not seeing me swinging a camera(or whatever) in circles, when on holidays. :p

As far as colour schemes, I'd suggest...

1) Black fabric, similar(slightly lighter) blue logo.
2) Dark blue fabric, slightly lighter purple/violet logo.

I also think it'd be neat to have a line intersecting the cube horizontally, and also one extending vertically. It could be white, yellow, light green, etc.

Just tossing out ideas. Maybe you can visualize something. :)

Since you posted the thread looking for feedback, here's my thoughts.

I really don't think it needs the belt loops, I think it would be more effort and cost than it's worth. I wouldn't really want to walk around with a Pandora clipped to my belt, I think most people would think I looked a little odd!

I have to agree that maybe some other colours would be better, the bright blue isn't great. Maybe some less bright colours like black or white would look better? The Wiz case looks brilliant though! I really, really like it.

All in all the cases look really good, great work.

If you do go ahead and sell these, I hope you will ship to the UK, I would definitely buy one.

Looks like it could be quite nice.

One thing that might be good for the Pandora case is to add a zipped pocket somewhere (probably better on the outside) into which one could put extra memory cards in their cases. For example, if you made a long pocket along the entire length of the case, people could put several cards in there, and maybe other things too (like pieces of paper or something).

Lylep said:
I really don't think it needs the belt loops, I think it would be more effort and cost than it's worth. I wouldn't really want to walk around with a Pandora clipped to my belt, I think most people would think I looked a little odd!

You don't have to clip it to your belt, it just would be optional. Maybee worth having a poll on this feature to keep it fair ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that better than velcro and drawstring could be something similar to what you see in soft glasses cases. you pinch the ends (similar to how it looks in the 3rd picture down and it separates two pieces of plastic or something. I am not exactly sure how to describe it. If someone can describe it better, go ahead!

Maybe some little pokets for SDHC-cards could be a good idea?!

Great work so far :)

It might be best to get confirmation from OpenP about their case plans. There was one on the preorder page, but they've been coy about it ever since. Just in case you put some money into making yours and they suddenly spring theirs at the same time.. ;)

Great work, I'd love one. As two other people have mentioned, some kind of pocket for holding SDHC cards would be very useful.

I like the cases. the colour scheme on the Wiz is spot on.

The Pandora colours are horrible though! I'd make them the same colour as the Wiz. I'd also like a way to close it. I think a zip would be ideal, to be honest. Failing that, perhaps some poppers. And yes somewhere to store the SDHC cards, and perhaps another pocket for a usb cable would be good.

I don't see why you should need permission from GPH or OP to go ahead and make them. If enough people want to buy them over the official solution then it's a free market.

Having said that I have a feeling that OP have not done any work on the Pandora case as of yet, so might be worth speaking to them to see if they want to make it the 'official' one. Can't remember how much I paid for the case when I bought the Pandora. Might be convinced to remove that from the order and get one of these depending on how much you're planning to charge.

RenegadeChic said:
I think that better than velcro and drawstring could be something similar to what you see in soft glasses cases. you pinch the ends (similar to how it looks in the 3rd picture down and it separates two pieces of plastic or something. I am not exactly sure how to describe it. If someone can describe it better, go ahead!

+ 1

I Tried to find a picture (with no luck haha!), but i know what you mean. I think that would be the best option as you would just need to squeeze the sides to open

- Less noise (to velcro)
- Quicker to open

RenegadeChic said:

These have the mechanism you are talking about:
71ZSNPAM48L._AA280_.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Eyeglass-Holder-Case/dp/B0007ZHC0Y

Love the case, would really round off the presentation of the device when we show it to people. I had to create an account just to comment on it :D

I do agree with the darker colours, black is slimming, help to surprise people about how small the device is. :D

If you were going to make a pocket for sd cards, maybe make it big enough for a usb cable for when we hook the pandora up to any remote pc.

Again, great work. I hope a lot more people come up with extra accessories for the pandora.

tristankin said:
RenegadeChic said:

These have the mechanism you are talking about:
71ZSNPAM48L._AA280_.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Eyeglass-Holder-Case/dp/B0007ZHC0Y

Love the case, would really round off the presentation of the device when we show it to people. I had to create an account just to comment on it :D

I do agree with the darker colours, black is slimming, help to surprise people about how small the device is. :D

If you were going to make a pocket for sd cards, maybe make it big enough for a usb cable for when we hook the pandora up to any remote pc.

Again, great work. I hope a lot more people come up with extra accessories for the pandora.

I was looking for 5 minutes for a picture!! Nice one

djmaddis said:
I was looking for 5 minutes for a picture!! Nice one

It took me a while too, especially trying to use search terms like eye glasses case spring loaded thingies. :D

tristankin said:

I was thinking about that for the Wiz, too. Though the Wiz's USB cable is pretty bulky and so would add too much (IMO) to the overall volume of the case.

Just fyi,
I've added on of those "pinch" thingy's - not sure how you call that stuff in english - to my Nokia N800 softcase.

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

This works very good (and yes, a bit smaller one might be not a bad idea, this was what i had) and is very secure and you can open/close this without looking.

I think a small "pouch" that just can store a SD card (no zipper, just some square fabric that is open at one end and that is just the size of a SD) may be not a bad idea but fully optional/only if possible imho.
I don't think adding much more stuff like belts etc is a good idea, it will just get in the way
I would love to have this for the pandora in black or grey with the logo in blue.

edit: links

I like the case idea very much. Simply protecting it in a case is reason enough to buy this. Nevertheless, I do have a wish-list of features that came to mind immediately. ;)

• A way to access the headphone jack, and maybe the volume too.
  • Since this won't be pocketable, I would also appreciate the belt loops. (The belt loops will have to be very durable, so as to not fall off while supporting the weight of a hefty Pandora!)
  • I would not vote for a pocket addition because, if it's strapped to my belt, I'll have pockets to put things in, and if it's in a backpack or some other large container, I'll definitely have places to put things in. In short, the pockets would probably go unused.
  • If it all possible, a little finger room should be planned into the pocket, especially if it can ride on my belt, so that it's very easy to remove without turning the entire case upside down.
  • The sides of the pockets, if possible, should remain separate and hold the pocket open while the Pandora is removed, so that the Pandora can slide back in without having to hold the pocket open by hand (ha... ha....).

Eventually the construction of these pockets will become too complex as you add more and more, and I don't mind if all of these features are left out of the final product, so pick and choose at your leisure.

The glasses case thing doesn't sound like such a good idea to me. They require two hands to get your glasses out comfortably: one to hold it open, the other to reach in and pull them out. If it's being strapped to a belt or something, I'm envisioning a one hand unclip-remove action. Maybe that's just me though.

Thanks for all your feedback. Today im gonna try new colors as well as a new design, it will most likely be closed since that's what everyone wants.

A lot of good ideas, I just want to comment on the one with the headphone jack hole and volume knob being accessible. I think that might be a little on the risky
side without actually having a pandora.

On the other hand, about openpandora making an official one, I completely forgot about this so I would like to hear from them as well... However if it means
taking work off them so they can fully focus on the pandora then maybe they can approve it or something :p I would be willing to fedex them prototypes so
a real pandora gets tested on the case.

Thanks for your comments guys, they are greatly appreciated.

My god, that looks convenient. I like the drawstring/press stud idea. Press stud would probably work nicer, so long as it isn't one of the super-shitty ones.

Protecting your tools is key, so I'm very much looking forward to progress on this. I don't have a case for my DS Lite, because I have a huge disdain for all the plastic-y cases that are available in stores. Soft, protective fabric is definitely the way to go.

I think that a zipper could work too. And I am in favor of being able to attach one of these to your belt.

Back