Open pandora case

TDT

Hey all,

I figured I'd share a recent project of mine. I was using a case I made for an external hard drive, but it was a very tight fit. It worked, ok, but was a bit of a pain.

So I decided to create a new case, starting last night. I used 2 types of fabric. The outside is black vinyl and the inside is fleece. While it's not a hard case, this does seem to give quite a bit of protection, and seems to look pretty decent too.

Included some pictures. I can include some measurements and steps if anyone's interested. This case isn't perfect, and I can include some notes on what I'd change if I did it again. Including pictures of the steps, and the final picture

Working steps:

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Finished pictures:

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

Looks solid and like it will protect well. Good thing the Pandora doesn't heat up, otherwise it might get a bit warm in there in stand-by mode.

That's a pretty professional-looking case. :D If not for the choice of non-fraying materials, I'd've suggested hemming the edges of the flap, but since you went with fleece and vinyl that becomes purely a cosmetic choice instead of a necessity. :p

I wouldn't mind seeing a run-down of the steps, and of the changes you said you'd make if you made it again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty professional-looking case. :D If not for the choice of non-fraying materials, I'd've suggested hemming the edges of the flap, but since you went with fleece and vinyl that becomes purely a cosmetic choice instead of a necessity. :p

Thank you for the suggestion about the hemming stitch. I had to look up what that was, as I'm really not very good at sewing in general. I definitely will do that, because it should help reinforce that edge, as well as make it look better. I'll work on that sometime this week.

In terms of the steps, it was fairly straightforward. I mentioned I used vinyl and fleece as the fabrics. I first started by cutting an 11 inch long by 6 inch wide piece of vinyl, then used it as a template for the other 4 cuts (1 other vinyl, 2 fleece). I then cut 3 inches off one set. I pieced them together, 1 vinyl and 1 fleece and sewed them together. I then folded the smaller rectangle about an inch back (the 8 inch one) so fleece against fleece, and sewed that together (so it gives the edge).

I then put the two sets together, vinyl against vinyl and sewed along the edge that the two pieces shared, and folded it inside out. Basically giving the 2nd picture above. I then worked on the velcro pieces, sewing one part to the fleece on the left side of the 2nd photo, then putting the pandora inside the case and seeing where it matched up on the vinyl (right side). I had to hand sew the other piece of the velcro. through 4 pieces of fabric. After all that, the last thing I did was kinda guess the taper I wanted on the left side of the 2nd photo, and cut out a design for the flap so the velcro was in the middle, and sewed the velcro to the vinyl. I had to do a little more hand sewing to reinforce some areas around the base of the flap, but overall fairly little.

There's a lot of things I think I wouldn't mind changing. The first is the velcro. Upon reflection, I probably would have liked a button more than velcro. it doesn't stick as well as I would like. It's still godo enough, though. The second thing I would like to change is how I did the flap. Instead of fleece at the top, having black fabric to make the whole flap a little thinner would have made it easier to fold to make a better flap. I could have done something like a hidden stitch, folding both parts of the layers of the flap back a little. The third thing is I probably would have made this a little smaller. The case isn't huge, but it's a little too roomy for my tastes. A fourth, nice thing, would be to add pockets for an SD card wallet or something. I don't even have my cards full, yet...so maybe that's not even necessary. A fifth thing I would have liked to do better, overall, is be more precise about my measurements and cuts. The flap was kinda lucky it came out as well as it did...ideally I'd mark up the fabric better, and cut it correctly. perhaps, creating a pattern beforehand would have been better.

I'm still, overall, pretty happy with the way this came out. I didn't feel like spending a week creating the perfect case, and got this done in about 3 or so hours spread across 2 days.

Prometheus, if you have any suggestions in terms of things I could have done better, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. I'm not very good at sewing at general, but anything I need in terms of cases or basic cloth-stuff, I tend to make....so anywhere I can improve is good.

Thanks for writing all of that up! :D

Prometheus, if you have any suggestions in terms of things I could have done better, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. I'm not very good at sewing at general, but anything I need in terms of cases or basic cloth-stuff, I tend to make....so anywhere I can improve is good.
Unfortunately, all I can really suggest is hemming the edges of the flap. My sewing work revolves around plush toy design, so I've never really made much in the vein of cases for anything!

Also: Velcro is incredibly painful to hand-sew (I tried it once and my fingers got really torn up by the effort required, and I'd bet it was painful in this case, too :p ), so I'd agree with your analysis about using a button instead, even if only for ease of construction. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Also: Velcro is incredibly painful to hand-sew (I tried it once and my fingers got really torn up by the effort required, and I'd bet it was painful in this case, too :p ), so I'd agree with your analysis about using a button instead, even if only for ease of construction. :p

I found using the non-glue backed velcro pieces to not be too bad. If using the ones you're supposed to iron on, them yeah it hurts really bad to hand sew...I did that before. I think the majority of my difficulty here was going through 2 layers of vinyl. this stuff is really quite thick. I probably could have got by without using any fleece inside, and just using black fabric

If using the ones you're supposed to iron on, them yeah it hurts really bad to hand sew...
Funnily enough, I was using the non-glue-backed kind. Man, that hurt a ton... :lol: But then again, I was going through a few layers of fabric, too (not vinyl, though!).

I always like custom stuff.

Looks nice.

Can you put it on your belt? It doesn't seem so. Perhaps that would be a nice improvement.

Back