Pandora/wiz Softcase Prototype

Choose a number, look below

• Total voters

I just wanted to state4 more clearly that nothing is too good or protective for my precious Pandora. Nothing is overkill. Do your best to create a good protective system. I'll buy one :)

midna25 said:
I just wanted to state4 more clearly that nothing is too good or protective for my precious Pandora. Nothing is overkill. Do your best to create a good protective system. I'll buy one :)

lol, I hear you. Believe me protection is the main goal, we have that on focus. However, its not a heavy device so I'm not sure if cordura would make a difference. We are looking for shock
absorbing materials. As I understand it, cordura is more of an abrasion resistant fabric. With these types of devices, the most common dangers are drops, not pouring acid over them.

That said, I'm still gonna try and see if I can get a hold of the material and test it.

Right now I'm sort of in a stand by position. I've messaged Craig asking for permission and opinion so I can proceed with the project. I'm still waiting for his reply... Regardless of what
some people say, I don't think I can just take their logo, slap it on something and sell it, even if they didn't like the case, I'm pretty sure it would be illegal.

I could go ahead and make a logo-less case...would be cheaper and faster but wheres the point in having a generic case when you can just go to your local office supply store and buy any
similar size camera case.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
andrewe1 said:
midna25 said:

lol, I hear you. Believe me protection is the main goal, we have that on focus. However, its not a heavy device so I'm not sure if cordura would make a difference. We are looking for shock
absorbing materials. As I understand it, cordura is more of an abrasion resistant fabric. With these types of devices, the most common dangers are drops, not pouring acid over them.

Mainly the 2 real benefits it offers are the water resistance, and durability. Lets say I forget it on top of my car and drive off, with something this light the cordura will look good as new after I dust it off, now if the foam can absorb the drop we have an awesome case that will take years of abuse and still look good. Just think of it as a tough outer shell to protect the inner foam from abrasion, something most soft materials can be easily damaged by. The fact that rain, spilled soda, and cleaning liquids will bead up rather than be absorbed in the the case is also nice.

cokebottle said:
andrewe1 said:
midna25 said:

Mainly the 2 real benefits it offers are the water resistance, and durability. Lets say I forget it on top of my car and drive off, with something this light the cordura will look good as new after I dust it off, now if the foam can absorb the drop we have an awesome case that will take years of abuse and still look good. Just think of it as a tough outer shell to protect the inner foam from abrasion, something most soft materials can be easily damaged by. The fact that rain, spilled soda, and cleaning liquids will bead up rather than be absorbed in the the case is also nice.
That and it will protect it if cokebottle pours himself all over the case.

I understand lol, believe me... I would love my pandora to be as safe as possible, its not like if it breaks we could easily go to the store and get a new one...at least not in the first months of release.

I'm halting the project till I get some sort of official answer. No point in spending money on new materials and waste time in making them if they tell me I'm not allowed to use the logo.

Thanks

andrewe1 said:
I understand lol, believe me... I would love my pandora to be as safe as possible, its not like if it breaks we could easily go to the store and get a new one...at least not in the first months of release.

I'm halting the project till I get some sort of official answer. No point in spending money on new materials and waste time in making them if they tell me I'm not allowed to use the logo.

Thanks
Seriously? Don't worry. I'm absolutely positive that you can go forward with this. This i an open sourse project. that's just how they work. If you really need reassurance, ask Craig. I know what his answer will be.

andrewe1 said:

Thanks
Just stick with the Pandora icon, and you should be good to go. ;)

About the pocket, I kinda think that it might be better if it was NOT transparent and you couldn't see what was inside except by opening it up. It would make the whole thing look smoother, and I don't necessarily want people to be able to guess what is inside the case.

Esn said:
About the pocket, I kinda think that it might be better if it was NOT transparent and you couldn't see what was inside except by opening it up. It would make the whole thing look smoother, and I don't necessarily want people to be able to guess what is inside the case.

We thought about that. However, not being able to see what's inside will make it hard to take out whatever you want to take out. So if you have a few items in there, or even one....you have to stick in your finger and wiggle it till you find the SD card or whatever.

That's the reason most bags of this kind are see through...If enough people ask we can try and make it seamless with the rest of the bag...

Cheers

What about a (plain, matte, not shiny-ish) black leather version, same depth and thickness as the pandora, but longer, inside separated into two parts: main one for pandora, smaller one for SD cards and such (protected by thick, hard foam)?

EDIT: not sure how to manage that without an opening on one end for pandora, and another at the other end for misc stuff... kinda' impractical, for reasons which will turn out to be actually quite obvious, once everything starts falling out...

Well you're reaching fopr the moon, aren't you, Milan. Cut the guy a break. He hasn't even finalized his design yet.

I emailed the OP team on your behalf about using their logo. They'll get back to me soon and you can keep going on with the project. I shouldn't have bothered, really. I know what his answer will be. But there you go.

midna25 said:
Well you're reaching fopr the moon, aren't you, Milan. Cut the guy a break. He hasn't even finalized his design yet.

I emailed the OP team on your behalf about using their logo. They'll get back to me soon and you can keep going on with the project. I shouldn't have bothered, really. I know what his answer will be. But there you go.

You cannot imagine how greatful I am for the community support, I didn't expect this kind of feedback...Makes me want to make cases free for everyone :p

I will be moving forward this week, right now I'm focusing on getting both prototypes (wiz and pandora) and try to get a quote from a small local manufacturing plant. The idea would be to make some 50-100 cases and
get them out there and see how they sell. The initial idea was to make it ourselves with the tools we had but being realistic, its not possible. It would take ages and we would like the quality to be exactly the same
on all the cases. Still, we are aiming at having the lowest price possible without compromising quality.

Thanks again for your support.

You've certainly done markedly better than my lackluster attempts at hand-stitching together a case. That said, once I actually get my Pandora I will certainly try to make one that fits better.

I also tried to convince a manufacturer to make a high quality Pandora case, but obviously there's no real measure of the market potential yet and I didn't have the capitol to personally fund such a venture.

Best of luck to you! I still want a case with brushed aluminum inserts and a laser etched Pandora logo.

Design detailed here, if you want to borrow any ideas from it: http://gadgetoid.com/pandora/PandoraCaseDesign.jpg

I would buy one if you could get it made ;)

WoD said:
You've certainly done markedly better than my lackluster attempts at hand-stitching together a case. That said, once I actually get my Pandora I will certainly try to make one that fits better.

I also tried to convince a manufacturer to make a high quality Pandora case, but obviously there's no real measure of the market potential yet and I didn't have the capitol to personally fund such a venture.

Best of luck to you! I still want a case with brushed aluminum inserts and a laser etched Pandora logo.

Design detailed here, if you want to borrow any ideas from it: http://gadgetoid.com/pandora/PandoraCaseDesign.jpg

That's a really nice concept. But yeah, sounds like it would be very expensive to manufacture... Manufacturers over here tend to produce in small quantities so its not that hard.

But yeah... that's the other thing, with no pandora on our hands we don't know how it will fit :S

midna25 said:

I wouldn't bet on it.

Craig's a busy man right now. He can't just give an off-the-cuff "yeah, no problem" to using the logo without legal consultation. If he does, then he has no recourse when some other company decides to use the logo in an inferior clone, and profits from it. He could take them to court for it, but it would likely be thrown out because he's not protected the logo previously. And let's face it, these cases are going to have to be sold for cash. Legally, there is no difference between profiteering from the Pandora brand with a soft case, and profiteering with a fake clone of the actual hardware.

In order to use the logo, you'd need a contract. No money would have to change hands, but the contract would have to be there, and probably be legally watertight. And I'm not sure that Craig et al have the time or the funds for that sort of thing right now.

I'd wait until the machine is out and doing well. Then they may be in a better position to grant licenses.

D.

WoD said:
... Design detailed here, if you want to borrow any ideas from it: http://gadgetoid.com/pandora/PandoraCaseDesign.jpg

When this thread started, I was thinking about your design and was wondering what became of it. Too bad, I really liked your design. No disrepect to andrewe1, the leather case would fit better in my pants pocket. I am still interested in your soft case. :)

Dunny said:
midna25 said:

I wouldn't bet on it.

Craig's a busy man right now. He can't just give an off-the-cuff "yeah, no problem" to using the logo without legal consultation. If he does, then he has no recourse when some other company decides to use the logo in an inferior clone, and profits from it. He could take them to court for it, but it would likely be thrown out because he's not protected the logo previously. And let's face it, these cases are going to have to be sold for cash. Legally, there is no difference between profiteering from the Pandora brand with a soft case, and profiteering with a fake clone of the actual hardware.

In order to use the logo, you'd need a contract. No money would have to change hands, but the contract would have to be there, and probably be legally watertight. And I'm not sure that Craig et al have the time or the funds for that sort of thing right now.

I'd wait until the machine is out and doing well. Then they may be in a better position to grant licenses.

D.
You could be right... Craig will be back to me soon enough. But even if he says no, you could still sell them without the logo, or with a different logo. it's the same difference in my opinion. Here's the response I got.

"I have just read the thread, a lot of hard work has gone into this by Andrewe1. I will contact Craig and get back to you as soon as I can. As you can appreciate Craig is exceptionally busy and it may be a few days before I receive an answer.

Kind regards
Jacquelyn"

(One last thing, though. Does OP even own that logo? I've sen it all over the place for completely unrelated things. There's a building bearing that logo on my way to school that sells plastic bags. And there's that delivery truck someone posted about a bit back...)

midna25 said:
Dunny said:
midna25 said:

I wouldn't bet on it.

D.
You could be right... Craig will be back to me soon enough. But even if he says no, you could still sell them without the logo, or with a different logo. it's the same difference in my opinion. Here's the response I got.

"I have just read the thread, a lot of hard work has gone into this by Andrewe1. I will contact Craig and get back to you as soon as I can. As you can appreciate Craig is exceptionally busy and it may be a few days before I receive an answer.

Kind regards
Jacquelyn"

(One last thing, though. Does OP even own that logo? I've sen it all over the place for completely unrelated things. There's a building bearing that logo on my way to school that sells plastic bags. And there's that delivery truck someone posted about a bit back...)

Thanks for this, I appreciate it...I should've contacted Jacquelyn since she knows me...I used to talk to her a lot back when the preorder mess started, so she might remember me as the guy who constantly nagged her on gchat :p

Back