Pandora/wiz Softcase Prototype

Choose a number, look below

• Total voters

momosxp said:
are you going to sell them? when, how much, to germany too?

That is the idea, yes. When? when people decide I've come up with a design they like and is worthy of selling. How much? I don't know yet, I need
to calculate costs and see what it costs me to make one, but the idea is something along the lines of 10 to 20 dlls. Depends if a person
wants a specific color or something. Will I ship to Germany? Yes, probably... The US border is just a 3 hour drive from here so I plan to make
all shipments from there with a recognized courier so everything gets there safe, sound and fast, and being able to ship internationally at the same time.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Color wise I like the black background with most of the bright foregrounds. Red was good. Orange was good. Light blue and white both work. The darker blue wasn't easy enough to see to me. I prefer the logo without the circle around the cube, but I'm not too biased there.

That said, I'm very tough on my stuff and I'm afraid a cloth sleeve would get trashed. Yeah, that means my case is likely to end up looking like one of the prototype cases, but I'm used to that, and the clamshell protects the screen. Just for myself I'd prefer leather or something like a plastic glasses case.

If I were to get one I'd definitely want a way to seal it. I don't really like velcro. With that material other fasteners might be tricky. A zipper? A fold over, triangular lip with a snap? I don't know, just not a big fan of velcro.

andrewe1 said:
momosxp said:
are you going to sell them? when, how much, to germany too?

That is the idea, yes. When? when people decide I've come up with a design they like and is worthy of selling. How much? I don't know yet, I need
to calculate costs and see what it costs me to make one, but the idea is something along the lines of 10 to 20 dlls. Depends if a person
wants a specific color or something. Will I ship to Germany? Yes, probably... The US border is just a 3 hour drive from here so I plan to make
all shipments from there with a recognized courier so everything gets there safe, sound and fast, and being able to ship internationally at the same time.

Thanks

Hey, hope you can send to UK

I would highly recommend using Cordura fabric for the outer shell. The stuff is nearly indestructible, we use the 1000 weight to cover bumpers for robotics competitions and is usually the least damaged part of the robot after a couple competitions, its also used to make motorcycle jackets. The 500 wight should be more than sturdy enough to make cases out of and shouldn't cost more than 10$us a yard. Did I mention that it comes in water proof flavors to? As to the interior fabric you might go look at the car cleaning section of your favorite store and look for microfiber windshield cleaning cloths, if the Pandora is as glossy as the renders make it look it will be nice to essentially wipe all the prints every time you remove it from the case.

If your going to have it open only on the short end you might consider having pockets just big enough for an SD card sewn in to the top and bottom lining in such a way that if looking down at the opening there would just be a small slit visible in the fabric. Personally I love the idea of using a zipper to close the case because if the zipper runs from the short top side and down one of the long sides with 2 sliders you can either leave both sliders at the top and have easy access, or you can position them so as to leave an opening just the right size for headphones or any of the other IO ports for that matter. I would use a fine toothed soft nylon/polyester coil type zipper so as to avoid marring the Pandora.

The other really cool option for closing the case that no one has mentioned yet is with magnets sewn in to a flap, you can get thin semi flexible magnetic tape that might be just right for this kind of application.

New Prototype!!!!!! :D

Hello guys,

We were hard at work today and we came up with a new prototype which I think you guys will like, based on your comments and opinions. I appreciate all your comments, we read
every single one of them.

We looked for new materials and found some new more dense foam which is more shock absorbing, and the outside fabric is much much better.

This is the second try, and there are still some small errors to be fixed, but based on your input I think the third one is the charm :D . So please, keep those comments coming!

The wiz case is not yet finished but think this one, but smaller... It'll have the color I initially chose since those were the original ones and nobody really complained, plus
it will be sealable and will have a baggie for sd cards and whatnot.

In the following pics, I used my original DS for reference. I have risked its life for testing purposes and have dropped it a few times to see if something would happen to it, so far so
good. I plan on including some videos of this later on.

So please guys, keep those comments coming, I really appreciate them. Thanks for your support.

The last pic is just a quick photoshop concept. I thought the back looked a little empty so I added the letters OP. Please tell me if you like them
and want them prototyped.

Cheers!

The case will get smaller, we left room since we thought it wasn't strecthy but I promise you it'll have a less cluttered look

P8010074.jpg

P8010076.jpg

P8010077.jpg

OPconcept.jpg

It looks nice, but for some reason, I sorta prefer the original one. Not sure why. Maybe because I wouldn't need much past a sheath for the Pandora so it's protected if I throw it in my bag, but I feel like this case is a bit over-kill. I'd be perfectly happy with the original design, maybe plus one of those snaps to keep it closed with.

I love the new design, especially the pocket. I'll definitely buy one for the pandora, and maybe one for the wiz. The one thing is, I'd rather OP be left off the back. It just doesn't look right to me; of course that's just my opinion.

Vorporeal said:
It looks nice, but for some reason, I sorta prefer the original one. Not sure why. Maybe because I wouldn't need much past a sheath for the Pandora so it's protected if I throw it in my bag, but I feel like this case is a bit over-kill. I'd be perfectly happy with the original design, maybe plus one of those snaps to keep it closed with.

Im not sure if its a photo effect or something, but this case is exactly the same size as the first one, in fact... It's got a smaller footprint since the new material is thinner but more dense.

The folding flap will get smaller. We didn't make it TOO small because we didn't know how stretchy the material is.

Thanks for your comment but I promise you I don't want anything bulky either. It'll get detailed :)

Also, The OP probably doesn't look right since its not the same font...it was a very quick mockup.

I'm gonna embroid a sample and paste it over so you guys see how it looks like.

Looks absolutely incredible! You've done a great job with this! I honestly don't think it needs the OP on the back, kinda takes away from it a bit to me... The symbol by itself is all that is really needed. If you really feel like the back looks a bit empty, why not add the little eyes that are displayed during boot up. I'm cool with the back just being blank though. I really like the pouch on the front and the fact that it now secures the device. Thanks for this! :)

I don't like the letters. A single coloured Pandora symbol is good enough for me.

I like the mesh stuff for holding SD cards. I've seen a few digital camera bags use that stuff. :)

Kramy said:
I don't like the letters. A single coloured Pandora symbol is good enough for me.

I like the mesh stuff for holding SD cards. I've seen a few digital camera bags use that stuff. :)
It would be a nice Idea to add the Initials/Logos of every user ontop. :D Very unique pockets I think, even more, if the Users can choose the fav. colour... ^_^

I agree with the others about the "OP" ... I'd rather it be left off, or at least changed to a symbol.

Other than that ... great stuff!!!

fusion_power said:
Kramy said:

It would be a nice Idea to add the Initials/Logos of every user ontop. :D Very unique pockets I think, even more, if the Users can choose the fav. colour... ^_^

Lol, yeah that would be cool but it would be VERY time consuming. The embroidery software is not something you just "insert a jpeg" or something and the machine will do the rest.
Everything is on the software is almost done manually.

I really like this prototype (so my former concerns are abandoned _> no circle around the logo is needed ;) ) in comparison to the old ones. It looks smarter and shows more functionality than before :lol:

By the way: Whats up with the Cordura stuff (*click*) ? It sounds interesting, at least worth a glimpse...

For the OP Mockup letters: Why not left them and instead just write "Pandora", just like at the left corner at the official site or the unofficial Blog. Following this style would "link" them and show that the pandora project connects them :)

Hawkey said:
I really like this prototype (so my former concerns are abandoned _> no circle around the logo is needed ;) ) in comparison to the old ones. It looks smarter and shows more functionality than before :lol:

By the way: Whats up with the Cordura stuff (*click*) ? It sounds interesting, at least worth a glimpse...

For the OP Mockup letters: Why not left them and instead just write "Pandora", just like at the left corner at the official site or the unofficial Blog. Following this style would "link" them and show that the pandora project connects them :)

Yeah I will look into adding the whole pandora word, see how it looks.

About the cordura, i'm looking into it but it sounds a little overkill... I mean we are not exactly protecting military grade equipment here lol.

Cordura might be a bit stronger than is needed, but it's an incredible fabric. It's highly water resistant (IIRC), and is very strong. It's a great material for making messenger bags with. It could definitely work for a Pandora case, but it could be a bit overkill.

I love the new design. It's sealable, and has a case for SD cards and styluses. Personally, I want to keep my Pandora that I waited so long for safe. Nothing is "overkill" in my opinion. Keep it up.

One thing. About how the final will be sealed. I have a case for my Ocarina of Time replica right here with me. It has what's like snaps, but they're magnetic, and lock firmly in place when touched together. If you understand what I'm talking about, is this possible for you?

Edit: I, for one, like the letters.

midna25 said:
I love the new design. It's sealable, and has a case for SD cards and styluses.

One thing. About how the final will be sealed. I have a case for my Ocarina of Time replica right here with me. It has what's like snaps, but they're magnetic, and lock firmly in place when touched together. If you understand what I'm talking about, is this possible for you?

Yeah, we actually bought some magnetic clamps yesterday and we will test them. However be aware that this would be a little more expensive than velcro which already works great. The velcro we use has very
small "teeth" so it doesn't make a lot of noise, and at the same time it holds on quite nice.

I'll see what we can do, thanks.

Looking nice. :)

About the letters, one reason why you shouldn't use the "OP" is because those are the initials of the company OpenPandora, not of the Pandora console itself. This softcase is not made by OP right? Thus "Pandora" would be a lot better. ;)

Back