Pandora Pricing - What Price Would You Pay?

What price would you be willing to pay for Pandora?

• I'd pay the current $320 target price, not a penny more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd pay as much as $350, but not more.

• I'd pay more than $350... Just get me one!

• It's already too expensive at $320! I want lower prices!

• I'm in the UK, and therefore already paying $400!

• Total voters

Prophet said:
While I'm coming from a different angle, I can understand why people see $320 as "high" - they can get a PSP for half that amount, and have both homebrew and a commercial game library at hand (illegally). Although Pandora will do the homebrew angle way better, and have better emulators, and also much more flexibility (keyboard, touch screen etc.), not everyone will feel that's worth twice the price.
Well, the homebrew angel might be to Pandoras advantage, but people don't complain much about the PSP emulators, and the illegal aspect remains with the Pandora. It's not like its legal to download, and play roms for most, or any commercial console. There are a few exceptions of course, but we all know that emulators are made to play games your not really allowed to play.
Squidge said:

You would have to be really persuasive to get me to buy a PSP for 55euro, which i in 5 mins with a razorblade, a soldering iron, and 7mm of wire can make play copies of retail games, and a wide array of emulators. This, thing, is overpriced already.
Or, with a Pandora Battery, you could play all those games and emulators without needing a soldering iron And what did you think the 5 mins were for? Making a pandora battery, offcourse. Cut a trace, it's a pandora, solder the wire, and its a regular battery again.
It's not like anyone has one laying around and buying one, seams to be a less cheap option.
nubie said:
PSP is not competition, people mistakenly assume because it sort of has a screen (my unit had a frigging blurry mess that Sony calls a screen, as does every unit I have ever tried) and it can sometimes run "other" software that it is similar.
Odd. You checked yourself for a root kit? Seams you have an odd case of blurry vision. None of the PSP's i've seen had blurry imaging, unless there was motion blur in the game.
nubie said:
IT ISN'T. No support for USB host, no SD cards, frigging heavy (I haven't tried a lite, but it doesn't fix anything but the weight, possibly the screen, and is even more expensive), controls suck big time. (and I love PSX pads, I play my GameCube, PC, and Xbox games with my PSX pad)

This will absolutely connect to any USB device (HID/Mass storage should work out of the box), and has two usable analogs.
I'm glad you like the Panda, and your aparently going to be bringing it, and 2 PSX gamepads with you everywhere, but i really dont need the USB host features for anything exept possibly adding more storage, and i can just as well swap a memory stick. Memory stick, SD card, or any other odd format, is all the same to me, just get a "4 in 1" reader, and it reads all the regular formats, and most the unregular once aswell. It for sure covers both memorystick, and SD cards. And, of course. The handheld you pick will work great as a card reader for the format you need.
Prophet said:
I agree with you that Pandora is actually very different, and in many respects, far superior, to the PSP. However to some people, who might ONLY be looking at the Pandora as an emulation box, the much cheaper PSP could look like the better value.

Definitely.

I've said it b4, and i'll probably say it again. The inside is great. the packaging, for my needs, and intentions, suck. The Panda would be a great handheld for games, and music, if made with that in focus. Now, in my opinion its trying hard to be a eeePC, a UMPC, or any other odd letter combination you can come up with, and falls short of it's heritage. I hope the first few batches sell great, and spark lots of devs creating games, emus, and homebrew soft, gets people to join the forum, who request a few "fixes" such as a lower price, simpler design, and a more honest focus on gaming and portable music. Lower price, simply by making it a table top, without a keyboard, more honest focus on gaming and music by redesigning the gaming controls so they aren't usable" but spot on perfect.

Then, and only then, I'll buy one. I'm already looking forward to seeing the softwares being released, and i really wanna see all the softwares that people claim just have to have a keyboard, coz i just don't see it. While i wait, I'll keep looking for the rumored Gampark next gen console, and see what it is all about when it comes out. First to fullfill my needs, gets a sale, it's that easy.
B!

Last edited by a moderator:
And with that Mr.B vanished off the face of the forum and took his trolling & PSP with him. Never again did he return to say the same old things over and over again just like a certain Epicenter used to.

The End. ;)

I think I liked Craigs ending the better :)

Anyhow, 320 is a nice price, I could stretch it to 400, but that would be though on me budget :)

Odd. You checked yourself for a root kit? Seams you have an odd case of blurry vision. None of the PSP's i've seen had blurry imaging, unless there was motion blur in the game.

Now, in my opinion its trying hard to be a eeePC, a UMPC, or any other odd letter combination you can come up with, and falls short of it's heritage. B!

Hate to tell you but that "motion blurr in the game" was not a game feature, but an artifact of the screen ;) The PSP screen is super sharp when images on it are not moving.

It is also NOT trying to be an EEE, if it was there would be no game controls :rolleyes:

I think the Pandora is cheap for what it does. And that is even considering how much of our US "Monopoly money" we will need to get one.

So Mr.B was banned?

Eh... I personally wouldn't have done that. He represents a segment of Pandora-curious people out there who will simply pass, and stick with their mainstream hardware. Mainly for economic reasons.

His post just demonstrates some of my earlier points.

There's so many choices in gadgets these days - you really can't release anything anymore without having some segment of the audience booing, and another segment cheering. In both cases, look at it as free marketing research. ;)

Prophet said:
So Mr.B was banned?

I don't think so. I think that is just Craig's clever way of saying "If you don't like it, the door is over there."

B has been nothing but negative and argumentative about the Pandora's design, and he clearly doesn't get it, but that's hardly a ban-worthy offense. If you start banning people for not getting it, you're going to get lonely pretty quick.

craigix said:
And with that Mr.B vanished off the face of the forum and took his trolling & PSP with him. Never again did he return to say the same old things over and over again just like a certain Epicenter used to.

The End. ;)
Surely with the power of the pandora there would be no performance barriers so i wonder if epicenter will end up making stargazer for the pandora, ive always wondered if the game actually existed or not and whether, after all his talk, epicenters game was any good.

I think it is an unfair comparison to make, if your statement is. "I'll take a psp over a Pandora, it costs less." or
"why not get an eeePC instead?"

The truth is the Pandora can do so much more than both of those devices. It out classes any piece of portable gaming hardware by miles. And well for portable UMPC type functions you are going to have to compare a $800+ machine to get the functionality along with the small size that the Pandora offers.

I would have to say the Pandora is bot a gaming and UMPC luxury device. It would to me be a luxury to check my email and type a response on this forum from the coffee shop on my gaming device, as it would also be a luxury to play some very nice home-brew games and emulators on my palm sized computer.

Some time ago I made the decision to purchase a pair of KEF 207/2 Reference loudspeakers, Why? Because I am a fan of doing things right. I think that the guys here have put together a great machine, and as that is the case I will gladly pay their asking price. Technology is a luxury, your cell phone, your cd player, MP3 device, TV, computer, all of it. You might as well get the most for your money, and no matter what your argument there is no question that you get a great bang for your buck where the Pandora is concerned.

And then Mr B. kicked the javaJake (the court jester) in the gonads after making him mysteriously come back to the forum after Count Craig banished him happily forever to PSPland.

Shouldn't the "I'm in the UK..." option read "I'm in the EU..." instead? Just asking...

Anyway that's the option I chose (being in the EU and therefore paying UK prices). I do think it will be worth every penny and I'm making very sure I will be able to buy one of the first full production batch (that's one of the 3000 or more, not the first 100) even despite some current projects of mine incurring severe limits on my spendability over the next few months. I'm certainly willing to pay the full £200 plus shipping, and possibly a tad more (though no more than £10 on top of the predicted price before adding shipping costs).

The reason I'm sure it'll be worth it is because there is no similar device on the market, so for anyone looking for a device just like this, there really is no option. I have personally been looking for just such a device ever since first hearing of the GP2X, and even more so since actually buying a GP2X and being let down somewhat by the poor production quality of the cradle which negated it's usefulness for anything but casual gaming for me.

Perhaps the Pandora can rightfully be considered a luxury item (for the intended audience), but for me it's just as much a question of practicality - this is actually going to be replacing my laptop in many day-to-day situations including casual surfing, checking email, playing games (hopefully even netplay), doing field service tasks (including things requiring keyboard inputs), playing movies and photos (even on a TV), servicing my GP2X on the road (thanks to the double SD slots and keyboard), replacing my MP3 player and most other computing gadgets I carry with me every day, with the exception of my cellphone...

No other pocket-sized device on the market today would be able to do all of that, so there's truly no competition for the Pandora and therefore no real reason for me NOT to get one.

EDIT: Edited for readability.

cappuchok said:
Shouldn't the "I'm in the UK..." option read "I'm in the EU..." instead? Just asking...
Actually Tobriand added that option with my blessing.

But yeah, just consider it as EU.

SIMPLE ANSWER SAVE YOUR MONIEZ!

From here to december is 10 months, save $50 a month & by christmas youll have $500, enoughto buy the pandora, SDHC cards , express shipping & even a few extra goodies. I mean really , thats what I did with the GP2X making 2006-07 best handheld gaming of my life, until my unit broke down by excessive wear & tear. The psp at this moment is a temp to hold me down for the pandora.

Eh, ~250€ seems a bit pricey to me. I know it propably is worth the money, if one uses it to it's full potential. Me, I'd just play 8-16 bit games with it, and I'm not sure it's worth the dough, in that case. A 2X with a proper pad would suffice quite nicely.

Of course, could well be, that once I have one, I'd do other things with it, also.

Actually, i could have sworn everyone had the option just not to read the posts they didn't like...
And, i think I've said it over and over. I have nothing against the Pandora, just the packaging, and presenting it as "a GP2X replacement."

Either it's a dedicated gaming unit, in which case its design sucks, or its a general purpose UMPC, in which case there are other alternatives that are better designed, but might lack some of the benefits of this device, or its even a eeePC, in which case a whole different can of worms are opened, and the content set free.

Oh.. And no. Not banned, and not going away. Your hero remains. I'll probably be banned if sales are kinda so so, and they actually go with a second design, following my wishes, and it outsells the current design by far. (Well, most likely due to getting tired of hearing me chant "i told ya so")
B!

Mr B said:
Actually, i could have sworn everyone had the option just not to read the posts they didn't like...
How can you know you don't like a post if you haven't read it? Kind of a catch 22 don't you think :B

Back