Premium Price

Would lowering the price of a premium unit make you upgrade or buy one?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Yes, I can't afford it now.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • No, I still can't afford it.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • I already bought a premium unit!

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I already bought a premium unit and these suckers better pay up too!

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I'm just waiting on those new fancy LCD cables.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Meh, I'm just playing with my new 3DS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No more money to OpenPandora!

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Check out this railway system I made in MineCraft!

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters

Zoxc

Still Fresh
I'm kinda of wondering why the premium price is so steep and if a lower price would make it a more feasable option for people (and thus more money to OpenPandora). Another option would be a reduced price to upgrade if new units really need to be priced that high. What do you think?

There was much discussion about this when the announcement of premium units was first made. Essentially, OP was actually sold a large number of units at what turned out be be a loss, and the rationale for the premium price was to improve the production time and (hopefully) ensure a continued future for OP.

Granted, if a major company was to make something like this, it would probably retail for less than the cost of a premium unit, but when you consider that this is built be a group of people who are essentially (albeit awesome) enthusiats, and that an invesment is necessary in order to have any chance of a Pandora2 some time in the future, the value equation changes.

The Pandora is a very unique product. Whether it is worth the price is something only you can decide - there are plenty of mass-produced alternatives vying for your money.

Premium Price Is to too high?
No.

[ x ] Check out this railway I made in MineCraft!

0b707051d79387.jpg

Eh, I think the price is fine, hell how many of the other consoles out there can you say was hand-made?

Awesome railway! I'm wearing a minecraft t-shirt right now XD

theres no option to make premium cost more...this is like the republican party, no matter what you choose, you lose, although i enjoy my 3ds, and am trying to get into minecraft now

By the time I discovered the Pandora the Premium was the ONLY price, so there was no other option available for me. That said, I think it's a perfectly reasonable price. I still feel like I've for a hell of a lot of tech in my pocket for a comparitively small outlay.

As has been said before, the costs shot up between pre-orders being taken and production commencing. While that's unfortunate, it's kind of unavoidable in this kind of market place when you haven't got tens of millions of £s or $s at your disposal to snap up comonents at the best rate. Prices rise and fall, but lets face it, the guys behind OP HAVE to have a positive "half full" approach to this kind of project and therefor, cost estimates (while realistic at the time of pre-orders) were probably on the optimistic side.

So, it falls to people who are willing to pay more for a device in order to make up the shortfall that comes from others who may have to wait longer, but will be getting it below cost. We're in a tradeoff position here cost vs time.

As for it continuing to be called a "Premium", I'm not so sure if that's really an accurate decription. What's the likelyhood of the price reducing by more than, say, 10% in the future? Unlikely I should imagine and all future Pandoras will probably cost the same as the premiums in order to generate any kind of operating profit for OP, particularly given the production times of the devices because even with them working flat out, with their most optimistic hat on, I guess ED & Craigx never imagined it would be so time consuming for them and they're not a charity and have to put food on plates for themselves.

In summary: More than happy with the "premium" price.

I paid the premium. I accepted the price (I thinking waiting for your pre-order when you know the price you paid is less than it's costing a very small company to hand-make it for you demonstrates a somewhat inflated sense of entitlement). The only bummer was paying the government £60 in VAT.

There's a premium pandora out now? Does it have better system specs? What's "premium" about it? Links please....

There's a premium pandora out now? Does it have better system specs? What's "premium" about it? Links please....

It's "Premium" because it'll ship within 7 days, compared to earlier preorders which took ages. Don't make any assumptions, there's a very good reason behind it.

I am a Batcher Oner and await the Pandora I invested in. Without the trust of the community in the Pandora project then there would be no Pandora.

Making it easier to upgrade is not an option I want to see. OP going bust and the Pandora dying, I want to see even less.

Queue Jumping is a necessary evil. It is still evil and if you part take then thank you for helping OP with extra finance but please don't be a smug bastard about it.

I got a feeling my order is walking up the down escalator. If the quantity of Premium Pandoras is open ended and not limited to the 100 or so originally mentioned then my wait is still going to be a long one. Whilst it may be OpenPandora limited, Craig is rarely open with these sort of figures. I would find in surprising if 100 have not already been sold and rather sad.

^ It must be said though, that I haven't seen anyone being smug about their premium orders, though perhaps I havent noticed as much; while I'm a bath-one orderer as well, I don't see the premiums as a real negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was more a general request. I am definitely becoming more grumpy as time drags on. May be it's only exuberant enthusiasm they're expressing. Wouldn't want to suppress that.

Back