Pandora Price Increase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would like to know is why are 80% of people here bashing the OP team for this decision while 80% of people on the main boards are being supportive?

God Ginrai said:
So Exophase, If Craig went with this new SoC, wouldn't he be doing one of the big things he always criticized GPH for? If he went with this chip, he would be splitting the community between those who adopted early, and all the people who benefited by waiting to get a new improved version. (Just like GPH did with the touchscreen for the GP2X)

-God Ginrai

Nope, because the new unit would be 100% backwards compatible with the old one, and furthermore all software would remain forward compatible as well. It'd just be faster. It's not principally any different than selling pre-binned units, something he's done before. I don't see how there'd be any splitting, just like I don't see how GP2X F200 split that community either (even though it did add separate functionality and compatibility)

Turnip said:
What I would like to know is why are 80% of people here bashing the OP team for this decision while 80% of people on the main boards are being supportive?

I could think of a few reasons, but where do you get your numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
That "only way" consists of several cited categories on that Wikipedia node. Pay close attention to the "technological" one. Because of Moore's law all integrated circuits have enjoyed a steady increase in performance/$ for decades; likewise, since a modern electronic device consists of several components manufactured by several companies you enjoy the indirect effects of their improved economy of scale which is reflected in lower component costs to you. Lower component costs means lower cost device without any hardware change at the top level.

In this case, TI is selling DM3730 for a cheaper price than OMAP3530 despite it being a superior part precisely thanks to Moore's law; the new one is 45nm where the old one was 65nm, and smaller means more dies on a wafer which means less cost to manufacture. It's that simple. And because Pandora's motherboard was already made compatible with DM3730 it wouldn't cost OP any design changes to move to it. But this compatibility was only made as risk mitigation in case TI decided to stop selling OMAP3530 in the future (which brings with it the gloomy suggestion that OP plans on selling the same Pandora for several years, despite what craigix said about two year cycles). I'm not saying they should dump OMAP3530 stock but they've openly expressed that they have no intention to start buying DM3730 once they run out.

Hey man, before I continue, I just want to say that I recognize that you know much more about technology than I do, so I'm not arguing, just discussing. I do actually have a degree in economics, so I feel like I can discuss this with a fair amount of confidence. Economies of scale doesn't just take into account the physical materials, but also human resources.

While you're not wrong about the DM3730, despite the cost difference between the chips you still have to factor in the R&D time, the cost of changing the boards with the production company and the cost of the delays to the project, which - if we are to believe what Craig has told us - would be devastating.

Wouldn't such a change be better for the Pandora 2? It's not as though the Pandora is underpowered and incapable of playing games, videos, etc. even if it is outdated. Sure, more power is always better, but as everyone in the world is aware: you're always buying yesterday's technology. That said, our particular "yesterday's technology" is two years old at this point. But we all know why.

First, Craig told me a few things directly (he can't post here), to be fair it's worth mentioning some of his side on this:

- They can't even get lead times on DM3730, so it's not an option for them with their current distributors.. of course you can't do much about this. Bear in mind that this does go against the reasoning ED said, but that doesn't necessarily mean someone's lying because let's face it, those two aren't always on exactly the same wavelength.
- He told me that buying more manufacturers now WOULD cut costs since there's a time-based overhead for keeping shop open which I suppose is a reasonable omission.
- He wanted to make it clear that his financial situation (and I presume by extension MWeston's financial situation) isn't the same as OP's financial situation. iow, OP isn't broke.. which is good, because if they were you couldn't get refunds. So I have to say I was too quick to agree with Neko on that one.
- MWeston is working on stuff.. some Pandora related, some other-OP-related (like iCP)

David Bowman said:
While you're not wrong about the DM3730, despite the cost difference between the chips you still have to factor in the R&D time, the cost of changing the boards with the production company and the cost of the delays to the project, which - if we are to believe what Craig has told us - would be devastating.

I must have not been clear, please allow me to reiterate.. The Pandora boards have already been made compatible with DM3730. The chip was designed to be as close to drop-in compatible as possible so it wasn't a huge modification. Nothing has to be changed, there's no additional cost. OP could put DM3730s in existing boards if they wanted to, providing they were able to obtain them.

David Bowman said:
Wouldn't such a change be better for the Pandora 2? It's not as though the Pandora is underpowered and incapable of playing games, videos, etc. even if it is outdated. Sure, more power is always better, but as everyone in the world is aware: you're always buying yesterday's technology. That said, our particular "yesterday's technology" is two years old at this point. But we all know why.

It's too modest of an improvement for a Pandora 2. Certainly everyone is "yesterday's technology", but you can't really argue that there's a correlation between just how old something is and how marketable it is.

Exophase said:
God Ginrai said:
So Exophase, If Craig went with this new SoC, wouldn't he be doing one of the big things he always criticized GPH for? If he went with this chip, he would be splitting the community between those who adopted early, and all the people who benefited by waiting to get a new improved version. (Just like GPH did with the touchscreen for the GP2X)

-God Ginrai

Nope, because the new unit would be 100% backwards compatible with the old one, and furthermore all software would remain forward compatible as well. It'd just be faster. It's not principally any different than selling pre-binned units, something he's done before. I don't see how there'd be any splitting, just like I don't see how GP2X F200 split that community either (even though it did add separate functionality and compatibility)

Wouldn't the things that require a lot of resources split the community between those who can use it and those who can't use it? (because it is not fast enough)

Also, for a system where a large percentage (obviously not all, but substantial) of the appeal is in emulating old consoles. I think a speed increase is a big thing. One of my favorite things about the Pandora is that I can emulate my old N64 classics on it. And I would be very disappointed to know that because I was an early adopter, I missed out on better N64 emulation.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Wouldn't the things that require a lot of resources split the community between those who can use it and those who can't use it? (because it is not fast enough)

Also, for a system where a large percentage (obviously not all, but substantial) of the appeal is in emulating old consoles. I think a speed increase is a big thing. One of my favorite things about the Pandora is that I can emulate my old N64 classics on it. And I would be very disappointed to know that because I was an early adopter, I missed out on better N64 emulation.

-God Ginrai

I don't see how that'd "split" anything. There aren't a lot of things that can be used and can't be used in the world of computing performance. There are things that can be used at one performance level on one device and a different performance level on another device. Same goes for people who can overclock higher than you.

What you're describing is just sour grapes. You won't have better N64 emulation no matter what happens, you just don't want other people to have it too. Unfortunately this mentality is probably a legitimate concern.

Exophase said:
What you're describing is just sour grapes. You won't have better N64 emulation no matter what happens, you just don't want other people to have it too. Unfortunately this mentality is probably a legitimate concern.

You're right, I won't. But that doesn't change the fact that people will feel slighted when a slightly better version of the same product comes out for the same price. Why do you think so many people were pissed when the DS Lite came out?

One of the things that people enjoyed about consoles until recent years were that they were stable and lengthy in their release and use, unlike computers. You got the console and there wasn't some upgraded version that you were missing out on. At most you missed out on getting a different color console. The next upgrade was the next system.

-God Ginrai

Discussions of whether or not the parts have come down in cost, I suspect miss the point.

How do you define the cost of a Pandora? The parts and manufacturing to make a Pandora almost certainly are less than 350USD. So they are making profit? No.

The problem is the large cost in designing. Whether that is half a million or 300k we don't know. But its pretty substantial. And there is no sign up till now of that being paid back.

In fact, accidentally they have created a Ponzi scheme. These have something of a bad name thanks to Mr Madoff (although you could argue pensions and insurance schemes are also closely related).

What I mean is, they used batch1 pre-order to pay for a substantial amount of the devt. Its probable that batch2 pre-order paid for the manufacture of batch1. So they are in a position where each unit makes a very minor repayment towards the initial costs so getting out of this situation is going to be very hard. If batch3 pre order pays for batch2 and so, at some point you won't have the pre-orders to pay for already purchased units. And bang, out of business.

To his credit, Craig is clearly trying to address this (although as ever has tried to sell it as something different), and there is only a small window where people will pay the premium so wise to try to get out of the situation whilst can. I'm lucky enough to already have my Pandora and want it to succeed (have even bought additional spare parts that don't need as a way to 'help').

No doubt it will leave a bad taste in the mouth for those are in the second half of batch1 and I doubt many of those will trust Craig with their pre-order money again in the future. I think people would give more slack if money hadn't been spent on iControlPad and the tv out had been delivered. That taste in the mouth isn't helped by the feeling that tv cable money (and some of the batch1/2 cash) has funded iControlPad.

So hope that they get the premiums and that OPT survive. But I for one will think twice before pre-ordering the Pandora2.

Turnip said:
The People who already have their Pandora want a bigger user base and more software.

Batch 2 people want it to happen because it means that they will get their Pandora a lot sooner and they want a bigger user base and more software.

Most of the people on this board are in the first batch and still haven't received what they have paid for and waited for for over 2 years.

If OP team goes with a revised CPU for later batches then they are hypocrites, simple as that. We were repeatedly told that all machines until 'Pandora 2' would have the same performance (bar clockability) when we ordered. To turn around and start spitting out Pandoras with faster processors for those that ordered later is a boot in the testes. I don't think they'll do it, the backlash would be too immense.

Neko said:
Exophase said:
I hadn't heard about SD slots failing :/
Happened to me. It's not totally dead, just unreliable. Not sure if it's bad soldering or bad PCB or what.
As far as I'm aware it looks like some of the cheaper SD cards aren't as reliable.
It could be to do with power usage; either the cards not drawing enough power from the Pandora to run or the Pandora is supplying too much power and shorting the cards out??

Decent cards seem to work ok :)

God Ginrai said:
You're right, I won't. But that doesn't change the fact that people will feel slighted when a slightly better version of the same product comes out for the same price. Why do you think so many people were pissed when the DS Lite came out?

One of the things that people enjoyed about consoles until recent years were that they were stable and lengthy in their release and use, unlike computers. You got the console and there wasn't some upgraded version that you were missing out on. At most you missed out on getting a different color console. The next upgrade was the next system.

-God Ginrai

That's just it God Ginrai, it wouldn't be the same price. The Pandora is never going to be $350 again, Craig has confirmed that much, and it could end up permanently costing $500.

In the world of handheld gaming machines there have constantly been updates. DS Lite: increased the screen size, decreased overall size, increased battery life. PSP-2000: decreased overall size, increased battery life, doubled RAM. DSi: Double processor speed, quadrupled RAM. PSP-Go: Higher processor speed.

And these aren't gaming systems, plain and simple. There's not a big set of dedicated software made just for them, and a different version wouldn't change the software pool.

gibberish said:
If OP team goes with a revised CPU for later batches then they are hypocrites, simple as that. We were repeatedly told that all machines until 'Pandora 2' would have the same performance (bar clockability) when we ordered. To turn around and start spitting out Pandoras with faster processors for those that ordered later is a boot in the testes. I don't think they'll do it, the backlash would be too immense.

They've said LOTS of things, including that it'll be at $350 - I don't know how this is crossing the line. Maybe it's because you've already secured your order at the lower price?

Exophase said:
That's just it God Ginrai, it wouldn't be the same price. The Pandora is never going to be $350 again, Craig has confirmed that much, and it could end up permanently costing $500.

Its all about supply and demand. Right now Craig has successfully re-hyped the Pandora with his new $500 Pandora Premium Limited Edition marketing blitz. I'm sure he's using this to test the waters as to how much he can raise Pandora's price. Once all the pre-orders have been filled and the must have frenzy demand drops off Craig may be forced to drop prices.

DisgruntleElf said:
Its all about supply and demand. Right now Craig has successfully re-hyped the Pandora with his new $500 Pandora Premium Limited Edition marketing blitz. I'm sure he's using this to test the waters as to how much he can raise Pandora's price. Once all the pre-orders have been filled and the must have frenzy demand drops off Craig may be forced to drop prices.

It isn't relevant why it's being done, only that there'd never be $350 Pandoras with a better processor because there won't be more $350 processors.

I actually like the idea of using the DM3730 when the price of the unit goes up. If people have to pay so much more, it would be nice if it was for more than just keeping the project moving. It makes logical sense and everything is totally software compatible as the hardware changes are controlled at the kernel level. That's just my opinion though.

The only thing that bothers me is that CC only seem to be producing 250 boards per week so we will not get a Pandora any quicker period! It will be longer but with a greater guarantee that OPT will not go bust.

Getting another board company in as well has a lead time so irrelevant to the early batch 1 preorders (first few days).

However, OPT need to make a profit but have to be 100% open and honest on this one point.

Given the vast amount of posts and information on all this which some contridicts others then sorry if this has all been explained away but at the moment the production numbers make no sense from the poinbt of getting a Pandora earlier due to the queue jumpers.

1+ for DM3730

But I think the insta Pandoras should stay at OMAP3530, only batch 1, 2, 3 should be upgraded to DM3730.

MWeston said:
I actually like the idea of using the DM3730 when the price of the unit goes up. If people have to pay so much more, it would be nice if it was for more than just keeping the project moving. It makes logical sense and everything is totally software compatible as the hardware changes are controlled at the kernel level. That's just my opinion though.
If I was going to pay $500, it'd be nice if it came with increased RAM. Firefox is kinda slow with only 256MB.

If you can't get 3730s, where are the beagleboard people getting their chips from? Maybe you can ask CC.

Neko said:
If I was going to pay $500, it'd be nice if it came with increased RAM. Firefox is kinda slow with only 256MB.

Last night while wondering why my computer was laggy, I discovered that Firefox was hogging up 2 GB of RAM, with three tabs open (and I don't even have Flash installed) :rolleyes:

While as such i have a bit of an issue with the 500$ units now being offered, I can understand the need for it if OP needs the $$.
I see the fact that I'm (hopefully) getting my pandora for the original price as a "return" on my investment now 2 years ago, I can live with it, i prefer OP to survive the day :).

The actual question is in fact IMHO what the pricepoint should be for a pandora (be it OMAP3530/3730) to make this a sustainable business.
This is something OP should have a clear idea about. They have about 3500 pandora's from batch1 they need to (or have already) deliver for a "loss", I'm not sure how many batch2 orders they have, but let's assume it are another 1000 or so. (I'm not including units set aside or used for repair or so , hence 3500 and not 4000 for batch one)

That's a big number, if they loose for let's say 100 $ for each of those 4500 (early batch1 will be more loss, later orders less loss or maybe break even seen the price already went up IIRC) then you're talking about 450.000 usd !

That would mean if selling it at 500 $ gives 200$ profit they need to sell 2250 pandora's at 500$ before they even get one $ profit....

These figures are just blind and uneducated guesses to get some figures of course and most likely not even near accurate, but you're talking about quite a lot of money....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back