Pandora price increase!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

007jaws

The price for the Pandora has just gone up, and now priced at £309 excluding VAT, so add £62 for Vat = £371 WOW, there must be a Huge demand for this little sucker, I am sure the price will increase further due various unforseen circumstances this project has faced financially

007jaws

I've been thinking about this all day, I'm going to start another thread on it.

We know it's been increased. It's a shame, but it's a necessity. The Pandora has been more or less purchased at-cost. Maybe even below-cost. They could continue production and finish batch 2, but when that's done they would have enough cash for a third batch.

I think the price should have risen earlier, really. But like someone else on another thread said, this sort of throws the Pandora into a whole other ballpark, and might make it a lot less desirable for other people if they just see it as a gaming handheld.

Give it a couple of weeks and see how many new people try to get one now compared to how many pre-orderers decide to pay extra for faster shipping. It could be that they have an initial surge of orders for the first month, then see sales fall drastically after that.

It's got to be said that if it had been that price in the first place I wouldn't have been able to afford one. I might have pushed it to the lower 300's but not over that :(

I finally got a job, so I'm a few weeks from possibly ordering one... kind of a dick in the face since I could have conceivably ordered a 2nd batcher as far back as a year or two, but also I'd hate for OPT to lose money on the Pandora, and I'm surprised they were using the incorrect price this whole time.

Maybe I should just tap my savings now, in case it goes up more? I've had $500 for a while, but it was supposed to build character if I didn't order until I had actually made the money myself.

Again, I'm surprised that they got the price wrong. It was set a long time ago, I thought it was nailed-down, as they say. Did they misunderestimate the labor required to build each Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got a job, so I'm a few weeks from possibly ordering one... kind of a dick in the face since I could have conceivably ordered a 2nd batcher as far back as a year or two, but also I'd hate for OPT to lose money on the Pandora, and I'm surprised they were using the incorrect price this whole time.

Maybe I should just tap my savings now, in case it goes up more? I've had $500 for a while, but it was supposed to build character if I didn't order until I had actually made the money myself.

Again, I'm surprised that they got the price wrong. It was set a long time ago, I thought it was nailed-down, as they say. Did they misunderestimate the labor required to build each Pandora?

I think the cost of having people build the units just didn't occur to them. Now that production is fullspeed OPT has realized that the cost of the Pandora is too low to cover assembly, and hiring more people would be the only thing that could be done to get these two batches out in a reasonable amount of time (I know, that sounds silly!).

If they didn't do this, they could still finish batch one and two, but it would take a while and after that there wouldn't be enough cash to start a third batch or a continuous, on-demand run of production.

I think the price should have risen earlier, really. But like someone else on another thread said, this sort of throws the Pandora into a whole other ballpark, and might make it a lot less desirable for other people if they just see it as a gaming handheld.

I was glad when the second batch price was higher than the first batch, since I felt the first batch was being sold too cheap and I was happy to pay the second batch price. However this increase of over a third again would have made me think more carefully before ordering.

I do hope it succeeds at this price. On the other hand with the PSP2 news I do wonder if it's a little too late. We still don't know how much they're going to try charging for that, and it's not comparable what with the Pandora being a true computer rather than just a game console and the cost of software on the Pandora being somewhat lower (!) But in terms of specs it blows everything else out of the water. The timing seems odd at best.

Feeling the same way Bro, 150$ on top of it, not trying to bash the thing but for 500$ now their is a lot more possibility's, with a Tablet or Netbook, or The iPhone5 and iPad2 on the way with DualCore's inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back