Pandora Case Badges

Would you be willing / interested in placing a badge on your pandora?

• Total voters

dflemstr said:
B-ZaR said:
Pleng said:
I'm not geek enough to come up with some kind of equation that attempts to prove that 2 Months is equivalent to 13 (and counting...) months, but if I was I'd suggest it as a case badge...
-26 = -26 [this is trivial]
4 - 30 = 169 - 195 [rewrite as subtractions]
4 - 30 + 56.25 = 169 - 195 + 56.25 [add 56.25 to both sides]
(2 - 165/22)^2 = (13 - 165/22)^2 [ a^2 - 2ab + b^2 = (a - b ) ^2 ]
2 - 165/22 = 13 - 165/22 [add 165/22 to both sides]
2 = 13 [wait, what?]

There you go.

EDIT: stupid smilies
☈ Division by zero. A cookie to the one who finds it :p

no division by zero. disregarding the sign ambiguity of a sqrt!

do i get a cookie still :)

Last edited by a moderator:
pshunter said:
Division by zero ? WTF ? Line 4 simply states that (-5.5)^2 = (5.5)^2 <=> 5.5=5.5, because you cannot just remove the ^2’s.
It depends on how you interpret that operation.

Actually, it might just be my formula parser that is faulty (Yes, I have a small script that solves equations for me. How geeky is that? :p)
I'll have to review it as I see that IT interpreted the operation the wrong way (yeah, blame the mistake on the computer... gj dflemstr)

hch said:
no division by zero. disregarding the sign ambiguity of a sqrt!

do i get a cookie still :)
Ah, sorry, it's 11 pm here so all bakeries are closed. If you had timed it better and maybe also somehow proven that the problem INDEED was related to a division by zero (if you make maths complicated enough, you can make people believe anything), then maybe you would have gotten something edible. :)

Actually, it would be pretty cool to have stickers that show just how cool an open source device is, like community and stuff, etc., we should get one that says 'Intel-Igence Inside!' and stuff like that. I was also wondering if we could have customizable stickers perhaps. That would be a little pricey to make, perhaps, but you could put something on it like your avatar, a photo of yourself, etc. Just a thought ;)

While we're on the subject:

0/0=1
Prove me wrong!

0/0 = z is provably true for any and all z
x/y = z
=> x = z*y
0 = z*0 <= axiom of mathematics
therefore 0/0 = 1
;)

Wrong, 0/0 is already defined to be an undefined number. It is not infinity, a common misconception. It might be infinity, it might be 1, we just don't know (unless you have a more complex equation that reduces to the specific 0/0).

Vorporeal said:
Wrong, 0/0 is already defined to be an undefined number. It is not infinity, a common misconception. It might be infinity, it might be 1, we just don't know (unless you have a more complex equation that reduces to the specific 0/0).

Pft. Numbers are an invention not a discovery. Yes 0/0 is undefined. But, n/0 where n <> 0, does = Infinity.

What the other guese were talking about must me be limits.

Lim x-> 0; x/0; = 0
Lim x-> 0; 0/x; = Infinity.

Sorry if I forgot my math notations.

Edit, Limits don't equal actualities, they are approximations. On the other hand, numbers are an invention anyway.

BackAssward said:
Vorporeal said:

Pft. Numbers are an invention not a discovery. Yes 0/0 is undefined. But, n/0 where n <> 0, does = Infinity.

Lim x-> 0; x/0; = 0

Edit, Limits don't equal actualities, they are approximations. On the other hand, numbers are an invention anyway.

Agreed. It's all an invention to help us understand the world. Sometimes it works really well (engineering, physics, etc.), sometimes not so much (theoretical math). Making 0/0 be undefined like that is just such a pain. I sometimes wonder if mathematicians made math the way they did to piss students off...

BackAssward said:
Vorporeal said:

Lim x-> 0; x/0; = 0

Also,
lim x/x = 1
x→0

lim x/x = 1
x→∞

...so it would make the most sense to set 0/0 = 1, even if it isn't true. Then again, you can do a lot of "magic" things with limes that are completely against the basic algebraic principles.

Back