GP32x Subscription Thingy

Would you donate to a "pool" of money to be donated to developers and fund dev-related stu

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Website
Visit site
I have an idea-

1. set up a GP32x paypal account

2. accept donations. There should be no "pressure to donate", just "encouragement".

3. Give donators of £2, a bronze badge (similar to a "Guru" badge), donators of £5 a silver badge and donators of £10+ a Gold badge.

4. Spend the donations on donating to developers (obviously Hando could take a small percentage for site costs too). Developers receiving could be voted on by GP32x members.

5. The badges would be valid for 6 months/ a year.

I know that people donate already, but we dont donate as a community. This scheme would encourage people to donate and would allow us to contribute to the sites costs too. People shouldnt want status because of donations, but theres no harming showing recognition as a community, is there?

This way we could also make sure that lots of different developers get a nice donation, instead of just having donations for the big emu coders.

There could also be a emailed land address to send cheques if thats what people wanted to do.

What do people think?

very,very good idea, although i doubt i will be able to donate, since i dont own a paypal account, and my dad dopsnt trust anything much.

I had to spend more then 6 months persuading him to let me buy from GP32X, since he hadnt heard of them (no offence Craigix)

I guess the badges would encourage people to donate (People already want Guru titles, so now people'll want these new badges and the only way to get them would be to donate), if this does come into effect, try to make the badge look real nice.

EDIT: So, we would donate to "GP32 Devs," and then someone like Hando would decide to which coders the money and how much of it would go?

I dont know, maybe we could have a long thread where we could all discuss who to donate to as a comunity.

One of the biggest problems I see is that there must be about 20+ developers that I would like to donate to. I think alot of people must feel the same way. I know I cant afford 30 donations and I would feel silly giving someone a quid, so a community fund like this would ensure lots of coders get shown our recognition.

It would also be a pretty novel scheme and would definitely be a boost to the community
in general.

Does anybody else think its a good idea?

PinkSpider posted on Aug 17 2004 at 10:33 PM said:
We know my stance on money:

money == alcohol

but once I get a job im up for donating abit (a fiver or something)
well if people know that a small donation is fine (after all, lots of small= large), I am sure people will donate, say £2-£10, espescially if they get a cool looking badge for it. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
declaration posted on Aug 17 2004 at 11:37 PM said:

money == alcohol

well if people know that a small donation is fine (after all, lots of small= large), I am sure people will donate, say £2-£10, espescially if they get a cool looking badge for it. B)
I want a pink badge :ph34r:

PinkSpider posted on Aug 17 2004 at 10:40 PM said:
declaration posted on Aug 17 2004 at 11:37 PM said:

money == alcohol

I want a pink badge :ph34r:
the pink badge would have to be specially reserved for donations of say £50 or more. :p

Phil posted on Aug 17 2004 at 11:48 PM said:
similar problem to pinkspiders

money==none

but if i got a job i'd probably give something.
yes. also Im not drinking much atm down to lack of funds.

Azure posted on Aug 17 2004 at 11:33 PM said:
Didn't notice that this was a poll. I added my vote to "Yes."
it wasnt, but is now.

I wish people would actually give a reason for voting no. It would be much more helpful to see peoples reservations that way.

Yes this is a very good idea....

I would donate £5.
However I would only donate if where the money was gonna go was not chosen by hando but by all of the donators.

http://www.paypalsucks.com <- not sure if it is true or not but it is enough to put me off. If there was someone to send cheques/cards etc to (eg gbax) and they deal with the paypal bit then I think that may attract more people.

I wouldn't donate at this instant on account of not having a card to set up a Paypal account with. I would, however, be perfectly willing to donate as and when I eventually get one. Any chance of using something other than Paypal, though, based on the various horror stories from some of their customers?

Back