Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

okay my wish list for pandora 2;

clam shell design

detachable 7" multi touch screen (1280x800)

wacom style 100+ levels of touch sensitivity either in screen or stylus (atmel new digitiser and stylus) - to make drawing/painting a reality

micro sd slot on screen side, 2 sd slots on keyboard side

decent keyboard, mousepad, dual nubs, d-pad, 4 buttons and 2 shoulders

mini hdmi out

Android with play store access - open to dual boot linux as well

spec wise? tegra 4? 2gb ram, 32-64gb on board storage

good battery life - battery in detachable screen and other in the keyboard

wifi, bt and gps

nobody is doing a combination of kayboard/mouse pad with gaming controls and a decent stylus with level of sensitivity

- so a combination of the Asus prime keyboard dock, with the Samsung note stylus, pandora 1 gaming controls all in a 7" nexus form factor

This would be my ultimate tablet/gaming/painting experience and I would pay £400+ for this

7" screen would make it too big for me, that starts to look like a netbook. The Pandora 2 should not be bigger than the Pandora 1.

clam shell design

wacom style 100+ levels of touch sensitivity either in screen or stylus (atmel new digitiser and stylus) - to make drawing/painting a reality

mini hdmi out

wifi, bt and gps

nobody is doing a combination of kayboard/mouse pad with gaming controls and a decent stylus with level of sensitivity

- so a combination of the Asus prime keyboard dock, with the Samsung note stylus, pandora 1 gaming controls all in a 7" nexus form factor

This would be my ultimate tablet/gaming/painting experience and I would pay £400+ for this

basically what you are asking for is a 7 inch asus transformer with a resistive screen and game controls

... not that its a bad idea, i love my transformer and a smaller version of it would be great

clam shell design

mini hdmi out

wifi, bt and gps

make that 5.5"

drop the microSD slot

drop the onboard storage to 8GB

make linux available as a factory install

add DAB/DVB ecievers

loose the detachable screen

and forget about £400

I would definitely buy a Pandora successor, of course.. providing it is very powerful and is able to run Dreamcast, Gamecube and even Wii games at full speed. I currently own a Vita so i don't see much use for a Pandora, but i would be very interested in a Pandora 2 and i await the specs of it, i would like to see some things added that others mentioned like

Hdmi output, larger screen 5" should be enough, obviously it can't be too big or it would be uncomfortable to hold. I think maybe 6" is about the limit

So really apart from a few additional things, it just needs very powerful hardware.

Oh, most importantly though it needs to come out within a few months or so after being announced.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be possible if Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii games were open source, so we could compile and run them natively. That is not the case though, so you'll have to wait until 2020 or so before handheld hardware will be powerful enough to emulate all of that.

What about Steam for linux that is coming out, will it be able to run games from that?

Not unless they explicitly support ARM Linux. And since currently almost no one uses ARM Linux the odds of that are very slim. Furthermore, they'd have to port their OpenGL to OpenGL ES 2.0, which can be a massive effort.

I would definitely buy a Pandora successor, of course.. providing it is very powerful and is able to run Dreamcast, Gamecube and even Wii games at full speed. I currently own a Vita so i don't see much use for a Pandora, but i would be very interested in a Pandora 2 and i await the specs of it, i would like to see some things added that others mentioned like

Hdmi output, larger screen 5" should be enough, obviously it can't be too big or it would be uncomfortable to hold. I think maybe 6" is about the limit

So really apart from a few additional things, it just needs very powerful hardware.

Oh, most importantly though it needs to come out within a few months or so after being announced.
how would you play wii games on a pandora? don't many need funky peripherals? or are you thinking of the more adventure/rpg type games, in which case there a better alternatives on other systems like ps2. However gamecube i totally agree, but i think there will be a bit of a wait for that as _wb_ says. Dreamcast is just funky hardware to emulate in general.. and all the best games are on gamecube or xbox anyway soo... if we're talking about advanced emulation I think ps2 is the most likely, nintendo might not get past n64 for a while as even the current 1ghz models are still having trouble. I know nothing about xbox hardware or emulation but considering nintendo and sega's track records as far as emulation it might even be that we see xbox and ps2 first. Of course all this requires an interest from some devs

clam shell design

mini hdmi out

wifi, bt and gps

make that 5.5"

drop the microSD slot

drop the onboard storage to 8GB

make linux available as a factory install

add DAB/DVB ecievers

loose the detachable screen

and forget about £400

The screen is detachable so that he can draw on it. I didn't see you say that Kaiser should lose the wacom pen so how do you suggest he use it? Also why would you lose a microSD slot that's on the screen itself leaving your two full SD slots unmolested in the base of the unit? Any argument I can think of against it sounds like saying

"Adding room for a spare tire in the boot (trunk) of a car is too cost prohibitive. The car is already supplied with 4 tires and adding a 5 is of marginal use. The extra weight the 5th tire adds reduces fuel economy for the driver and adds production cost to the manufacturer since now someone has to design a way to fit something into an area that is already limited. Further there are legacy costs and liability issues as we now have to not only make room for a jack so that someone may (ahem) "use" the spare tire, the jack must also be tested and guaranteed to support the mass of the vehicle.

Additionally the amount of people that would even USE such an added feature is decreasing at an increasing rate. We have much newer and better tire technology than yesterday's car and it should be the responsibility of the user to keep track of their 4 tires in such a way that a 5th is never required. We'll consider USB-Fix-A-Flat as an optional service but we'll have to charge monthly for it since those cans are under pressure and periodic test will have to be done on them at substantial cost to us no less. "

Way to dig up an old post!

Any stylus that works well on whatever screen is fine by me.

Putting storage in the lid is complicated

The above description would make a great subnetbook/tablet, but is not really suitable for a pocket gadget.

Its more like saying, we should put the rear wheels of a lorry trailer on a car chassis so the trailer can move by itself, and there should be a car cabbin built into the lorry trailer.

I don't object to the above hybrid tablet thing, but its not a pandora.

Lol! I just wanted to make sure everybody had a chance to post before I chimed in. Although not necessary that microSD slot could be used for wifi or NFC if it were so desired. Storage isn't the only reason to have it, but I admit that storage would be the primary reason most things considered.

Back