Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Yeah and that won't be hard for them I imagine, I can already see news postings like: "after failing to fully deliver their first device to people who ordered 4 years ago, the people behind pandora device announce X".

Indeed, I was saying exactly this in an IM the other day (don't have it here, might dig it up later ;p).. a lot of people are skeptical of OUYA because of unknown credentials but that's arguably better than having a history of difficulty delivering. KS popularity is a double edged sword, it's naive to think something like say, Pandora 2, will get a guaranteed huge positive popularity surge from it. Attracting media attention can work against you.

It'd be pretty petty for OUYA themselves to attack OPT though, that wouldn't be a very positive idea.

I guess the good arguments about oyeah! were already discussed, there isen´t much left to say about it.

It is now a matter of time, we meet again in march on this subject.

Yeah and that won't be hard for them I imagine, I can already see news postings like: "after failing to fully deliver their first device to people who ordered 4 years ago, the people behind pandora device announce X".
and that would be well deserved, wouldn't it be?

Wait - so it's an open and hackable console where you can't install games anymore once you had to open the already opened console?

Does this make sense at all but is their definition of 'open' simply 'The user can decide which games he want to install from our appstore'...?

in other words, their console is open, their online gaming system isn't.

that's perfectly fine as long as they don't pull a Sony.

its kinda like a private school with a dress code that requires you to wear their suits.

they let you buy the suit (console) and modify it but if you don't follow the dress code you wont be allowed in their school (online service).

its not something new and outrageous.

if you listen closely to the sales pitch, when they mention hacking its about COSMETIC hacking: modding the case. that's it.

their definition of open is very specific but people hear what they want.

OUYA's sales pitch has been carefully crafted to fool hyped-up geeks with buzzwords, naive geeks who understand something different than what was actually said.

if they let me do what I want with the console except get on their online service once rooted and its clearly mentioned, I have no problem with that.

the KS is for the Android console, the online gaming service is a separate product.

if you listen closely to the sales pitch, when they mention hacking its about COSMETIC hacking: modding the case. that's it.

They've talked about hacking the hardware.. for instance they said they were making pieces of the electrical components in different modules to better facilitate this.

Of course they probably have more important reasons for doing this.

and that would be well deserved, wouldn't it be?

deserved to a certain degree, yes.

for sure, the old orders must absolutely be fulfilled before doing a KS it'd be suicidal otherwise.

It'd be pretty petty for OUYA themselves to attack OPT though, that wouldn't be a very positive idea.

well, OPT publicly raised some skepticism against OUYA:

http://www.pocketgam...ure.asp?c=43030

it'd be only fair of them to return the favor.

They've talked about hacking the hardware.. for instance they said they were making pieces of the electrical components in different modules to better facilitate this.

Of course they probably have more important reasons for doing this.

the plastic case is legally "hardware".

they can claim that's all they meant.

at least that's the feeling I got from the video.

maybe they got solder points for extra LEDs or other ports.

the whole sales pitch was carefully crafted to sound more open than it most likely is.

with a lot of vague wording with large difference between the geeks' definitions of the words and actual legal definitions.

I do believe they can deliver what they claim, just not what people think they claim.

its going to be subsidized with the online gaming subscription service.

this and mass production is how they'll cover the console cost.

so what if a few geeks buy one or two consoles to hack them, unlike PS3s they're not powerful enough to build supercomputer clusters.

they'll recoup that with the huge mass of people buying a 99$ Android console for their kids or themselves.

this is not new. a lot, if not all of netbook PCs sold in large stores are subsidized by including software and web links pre-installed with the OS such as Netflix and online gaming sites.

its like when AOL used to regularly and generously offered me free floppies in the mail, it was so nice of them.

And how do you know we won't have completed the preorders by the time we do a Pandora2 KS? We intend to.

A couple of interesting articles about Kickstarter & Ouya :

Forbes : What The Ouya Hype Says About A Kickstarter Bubble

Engadget : The Engadget Interview: OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman on taking console concept to reality

Julie Uhrman certainly talks a good game in the Engadget interview. It's interesting to note that what they mean by 'maximise the potential of Tegra 3' seems to be to, quite sensibly, overclock it. Quite why they didn't just say 'we plan to overclock the Tegra 3' is a little baffling.

Julie Uhrman :

People familiar with the Tegra 3 in today's mobile devices need to remember that we won't have to balance (and trade) power to increase battery life. So we can crank up the performance of these chips.

We've had several meetings with Nvidia in the last couple of weeks in which we've discussed how we maximize the Tegra 3. They are helping us with circuitboard design, balancing power and other considerations, and squeezing the most out of these chips.

Last edited by a moderator:

And how do you know we won't have completed the preorders by the time we do a Pandora2 KS? We intend to.

Confirmed: Pandora2 Kickstarter campaign in 2014.

I got the impression he was talking about Product3.

EDIT: Nevermind, confused Pandora 2 preorders with Pandora 1 preorders, I'm dumb ;P

Sure, but according to your own estimations, it will be past 4 year mark, so you are still likely to see similar reports (failed to deliver until 4 year mark), even if all preorders are handled by that time.

Well I hate to say it , but as others have said above. Craig, you have given ample reason by your words on the Ouya (And the history of Pandora) for there followers and the gaming community to go nuts on Product 3 's Kickstarter which is due any week now according to you. Whether they or the gaming community will have a crack at Product 3 , depends on how gracious they are.

I would seriously consider how you are going to handle PR/Marketing for Product 3 ahead of the KS campaign. You really need to be prepared for any negative press and be ready for how you will reply. Some pre thinking on this will come in handy. As the scouts say, be prepared.

^^^^Sure one should be prepared for some negative stuff but these days(a good or a bad thing?) no news is bad news and an article advertising product 3 with or without negative comments is still advertising.

^ I remember that story, talk about a new level of bad customer service. Hilarious - but as you say , not for the company involved .

That raises an interesting point. Does KickStarter have the authority to pull the plug on Product 3 if Craig loses it to any criticism? Make no mistake. OUYA has a lot of supporters and if they're as passionate about it as this community is about Pandora they will be coming to these forums to make their voices heard.

Sure, but according to your own estimations, it will be past 4 year mark, so you are still likely to see similar reports (failed to deliver until 4 year mark), even if all preorders are handled by that time.

Good point.

Sent from my Notion Ink ADAM using Tapatalk 2

Back