Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
P-J said:
X-Code said:
It's not "only" a gaming device, the price tag is totally reasonable if we consider what it's going to offer, gaming, emulation, multimedia functions, PDA and computer functions... A Zaurus SL-C costs more and doesn't even come close to the specs being mentioned here :)
Don't forget that this stuff won't appear out of thin air. Users will have to rely on the community to actually code this stuff.

I'm 100% sure that the community will provide everything that is needed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
X-Code said:
P-J said:
X-Code said:
It's not "only" a gaming device, the price tag is totally reasonable if we consider what it's going to offer, gaming, emulation, multimedia functions, PDA and computer functions... A Zaurus SL-C costs more and doesn't even come close to the specs being mentioned here :)
Don't forget that this stuff won't appear out of thin air. Users will have to rely on the community to actually code this stuff.

Don't take things for granted. There might not be much of a community at that price.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
Boohoo. Whoever said it'd be possible to vertically orient the thing anyway? Besides, you could still fit buttons in that region, depending on how you did it. You just happen to think emulating vertical MAME cabinets is more important than whatever benefits analog could give you. A lot of people would disagree with you.

Pretty much every console/handheld ever made has some kind of support for 2D graphics, why do we need more of that?

Why this 3D has potential:

- Modern 3D acceleration allows better than 2D acceleration than any 2D accelerator I'm aware of
- Enables better emulation of PS1, the most popular platform ever made
- People are actually interested in making 3D games
- It's better than the 3D on any other handheld we have. Especially DS. That kinda sucks.
- Not a lot of people are doing 3D homebrew for PSP anyway, may as well try a platform people actually do homebrew games for.

But of course running vertically oriented MAME games so that they take up as much of the screen as possible is all that matters right?
Well since the design isn't final maybe it can be vertically oriented maybe not. Hopefully it can like the GP2X. My point is why make that impossible if we don't have to? It is not "all that matters" but why slagg it off? Believe it or not there are alot out there other than me that have MAME high on the list too. Some may like MAME/arcade stuff some may not. It is not like there are only a few of those games though, there are alot. Everyone is assuming that N64 will be fullspeed with sound. Emulation of PSX? what is wrong with it on the PSP? It has PSX *now*. We need 2 that do PSX, but 0 that will do MAME well? Maybe for some.

Every console/handheld ever made has some kind of support for 2D graphics, why do we need more of that? Well there may be support for it but very few things are 2D hand-drawn pixelart anymore. Everything is pretty much all 3D. Why do we need support and good controls for 2D games? Because there will be alot of those systems emulated on this new one. Pretty much the only way to get 2D games now days is through emulation. 3D is commonplace and can be found on every current system portable or not. The point is for those that want 3D they have many options such as the PSP and home consoles/PC . For those that want the 2D systems emulated well with good controls too there are far fewer options, 0 of them handheld.

3D homebrew? 3D takes an enormous amount of work, probably why there is not much of it on the PSP. There will be some on this new thing but do you really think there is going to be a huge amount of 3D homebrew stuff? How immersive are FPS games on a 4" screen?

To those that say "just use the GP2X for other systems": The GP2X is too weak to do many of these well. SNES is just plain lousy on the GP2X. You have to OC as high as possible, strip out all of the effects and downgrade the sound to something that sounds like a broken AM radio to get a "decent" framerate. GBA as you know is just too much for the Gp2X hardware too as only the l337 few that can OC to 300 MHz can play stuff without stuttery sound and choppy animation. Amiga is way too slow, PC-Engine is poor etc. You coders did an amazing job with what you had to work with but the hardware is just too weak, kind of close but it is a miss. GP2X is not an option anymore. It would be nice that when this new system did these 2D systems (much better than the GP2X) it had good controls for them too.

You don't want people to "slagg off" vertical emulation, but you keep trying to "slagg off" the analog stick. I understand that vertical emulation is important to you, but that doesn't mean that we should drop everything and focus solely around that.

-God Ginrai

Billy Lee said:
Don't take things for granted. There might not be much of a community at that price.

I'll take things for granted, if this machine does finally see the light and is as good as everyone expects... It WILL have a huge community ;)

That saitek controller looks good. That kind of layout on a handheld is what i'm hoping for. It looks like it could handle mappings for nearly every emulator possible and fps games would be well accommodated.

I think this device will get lots of attention based on control layout alone if it fills the gap that most higher end portable devices aren't. Good gaming controls. PDAs and UMPCs kinda suck in that regard. That coupled with a powerful soc and i think its gonna be a winner.

X-Code said:
Billy Lee said:

I'll take things for granted, if this machine does finally see the light and is as good as everyone expects... It WILL have a huge community ;)

PS3. ;)

Billy Lee said:
fail.jpg

Wasn't as good as everyone expected + massively high price + early games that I wouldn't even wipe my arse on. ;)

This device should at least have some decent games + it's only expensive if your currency's weaker than a new born kitten.

How could you compare this to a PS3?

This isn't overpriced, and it is open source ;)

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss this, it is a bit pointless, if you like the machine and it's specs, buy it, if you don't... Then simply don't.

It's time for a beer now :lol:

Billy Lee said:
Lurkio said:
Billy Lee said:
fail.gif

Wasn't as good as everyone expected + massively high price + early games that I wouldn't even wipe my arse on. ;)

This device should at least have some decent games + it's only expensive if your currency's weaker than a new born kitten.

Plus it couldn't play vertical games. :p

Well-said. A pure stroke of genius.

-God Ginrai

Billy Lee said:
X-Code said:
P-J said:
X-Code said:

Actually all the communities biggest and best programmers seem very interested in it having the OMAP so I suggest you don't make rediculous claims next time just because you want it cheaper.

cappuchok said:
As for control layouts, the start/select buttons could be made to double as the 5th/6th button on a Genesis/Arcade controller. This would give ample room for comfortable emulation of SNES and PSX-like consoles with four buttons on the right, as well as for Genesis and arcades (including NeoGeo) which typically had 6 buttons.

My own personal choice when I was considering a gamepad for emulation (for which I wanted an extended SNES/PSX layout to cope with 6-button Genesis and NeoGeo) is the Saitek P990. Remove the analogs and you have a very versatile layout combining most of the existing digital control pad schemes from the 80's - 90's.

I have one of the P880 ones of those which has the same button layaout and it works well for N64 emulation but whats this madness about removing the anolog sticks??

sam fisher said:
Billy Lee said:
X-Code said:
P-J said:
X-Code said:

Actually all the communities biggest and best programmers seem very interested in it having the OMAP so I suggest you don't make rediculous claims next time just because you want it cheaper.

Yeah but we're hoping the number of casual buyers will far outnumber the programmers, otherwise it will be a very small community indeed.

cappuchok said:
As for control layouts, the start/select buttons could be made to double as the 5th/6th button on a Genesis/Arcade controller. This would give ample room for comfortable emulation of SNES and PSX-like consoles with four buttons on the right, as well as for Genesis and arcades (including NeoGeo) which typically had 6 buttons.

My own personal choice when I was considering a gamepad for emulation (for which I wanted an extended SNES/PSX layout to cope with 6-button Genesis and NeoGeo) is the Saitek P990. Remove the analogs and you have a very versatile layout combining most of the existing digital control pad schemes from the 80's - 90's.

I've got the Saitek P2500 which is very similar to that and the 6 action buttons for emulation (mainly mega drive and N64) really is great. The style of D pad also works surprisingly well, although it feels like weird plastic.

Could you nick a d-pad design off an atari since they arnet around anymore? Infogrames stole the name.. The jaguar one looks a bit like a nintendo one.

icurafu said:
atomicthumbs said:
Eolair said:
atomicthumbs said:
Interesting info: the Gamecube does 12 million polygons per second. How many does the GPU in the OMAP do again?

Also, enough arguing.
Unfortunately it's unknown because we don't know which PowerVR SGX core the OMAP3430 is using (Jadon said he would be happy to tell us the correct performance numbers once the information is public).

But there's not even a working full speed GC emulator for PC anyway so forget it.

I was thinking more of GC-style graphics. Seen Metroid Prime? As far as I remember, it was very early in the console's life, but it had incredible graphics (better than most PS2 games.

The lowest end SVG card does 2 million polygons, I imagine it would be closer to this end. But since the two high end OMAPs have different video capabilities, it would be the card 1 or 2 up and certainly not the lowest end. So all we know at this point is more than 2 million.

The OMAP2420 is using the PowerVR MBX which has a a fill rate of 300m pixels/sec and a polygon throughout put of 3.7m polygons/sec.
Although you never know, it wouldn't make sense to put a PowerVR SGX core into the OMAP3430 with less performance than the OMAP2420. Why make the top of the line, next gen OMAP slower than it's predecessor?

That said, I think it's impossible to judge the OMAP3430's performance without testing it with software. I wish the Craiginator team had one of these to try out:

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbu...d=28741#virtual

Billy Lee said:
sam fisher said:
Yeah but we're hoping the number of casual buyers will far outnumber the programmers, otherwise it will be a very small community indeed.

Furthermore, programmers *usually* prefer to code programs for widely deployed platforms, in order to have the largest possible user base. Probably *some* coders don't care if almost no one is able to use their programs, but it is exactly like a writer that don't care if no one read his books ;)

(well I know I should not post here anymore but it is too tempting :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back