Open2x Dr7 For F100 And F200

That's really really strange.. I won't be able to look into this for quite some time, however. This summer I don't know if I'll have an apartment with electricity or not (will be working outdoors probably). If I get an apartment and an internet connection, and you happen to live in the US, I would give you the option of sending your unit to me for a few weeks to allow me to isolate the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really really appreciate a USB file transfer mode.
I know, I know, use a card read it's cheap, but sometimes I don't have my card-reader with me - just my GP2X.
It was damn handy in the original firmware - I used it often for small transfers.

Senor Quack posted on May 22 2009 at 09:26 AM) [quote="Manjuu posted on May 22 2009 at 12:21 AM said:
Here are the quirks or bugs I notice in the Open2X version of GMenu2X:
- The "Global Volume" setting is useless (like I mentioned in my previous post). You can probably just omit this (and leave the individual volume as is) as it's already redundant with the scalers. (Why is the default individual volume 67?)

The default individual volume is 67 because that really is the default mixer level when the GP2X starts. (It used to be listed as 100 until I changed it, as 100 was incorrect). Most games (including any that use SDL I think) reset the mixer level on startup so you're probably not going to get much result from changing this setting. I think it'd be better in the future to change this setting to be a customizable volume scaling setting. I'd really like one for GMU because I find it plays either too soft or too loud but never perfectly where I want it. Other apps are fine, though.

- The touchscreen areas of the sections are messed up and misaligned toward the right (i.e. touching a section either results in nothing or jumping to another section). The touchscreen areas for the links, virtual keyboard, and the rest are correct.

- The "Save last selection" setting does not work; it doesn't remember the position when power-cycled, but defaults back to the 1st link of the 1st section. However, it does temporarily remember the position regardless of whether this setting is enabled or not, when quiting back to GMenu2X.

- The Start button while in the virtual keyboard results in cancelling the input, instead of an OK; you need to select the OK key in the virtual keyboard to save the changes. It gets frustrating when changes are not saved due to instinctively pressing Start to confirm the input.

- This is more of a suggestion, but can a cycle down button for changing the character sets be added in the virtual keyboard? It requires too much button press to switch back to the lowercase set, after cycling up to the uppercase set.

- The link's icon doesn't get reloaded when quiting back to the built-in selector. (e.g. when using RACE! with the built-in selector, after quiting RACE!, the RACE! icon is not reloaded in the selector screen.)

Not related to GMenu2X:

- Certain functions in Filer2X and MP2X (and possibly other programs"] look for the "nand" folder in /mnt/, but it is missing, which would result in the program to crash or freeze.[/quote]Some good findings and suggestions here.. I've placed them in my to-do list (dunno when I'll be able to do all of it though)

I may be able to help with some of these if you wish to delegate. :) (Although for six weeks my net access will be unpredictable, vacation.)

Yeah, I need a lot of help with all of this. Especially if you could also look at tweaking PAL mode in the Open2X tweaking daemon. I just don't have any way of progressing it farther than I have, I only have NTSC TVs.

Slaanesh: Will put it on my to-do list

Senor Quack posted on May 22 2009 at 07:17 PM) [quote="PokeParadox posted on May 22 2009 at 07:09 AM) I may be able to help with some of these if you wish to delegate. : said:
(Although for six weeks my net access will be unpredictable, vacation."]
Yeah, I need a lot of help with all of this. Especially if you could also look at tweaking PAL mode in the Open2X tweaking daemon. I just don't have any way of progressing it farther than I have, I only have NTSC TVs.[/quote]Slaanesh: Will put it on my to-do list

PAL tweaking would have to wait till I get back definitely, I'm vacationing where the TVs are NTSC...

Hi,

I have a problem playing Payback full version 1.11 on my GP2X F200 ( B ) with Open2x Dr7 :(

I can install the game, run it, save it, but when I try to load a saved game I can see a black screen and a white mouse cursor at the center of the screen, then Payback crashes and returns to GMenu2X :(

I've tried to edit the following options in Payback link: Cache uper memory, Tweak RAM Timings and Clock, without success :(

Game is overclocked @ 250 MHz in the game options (but my GP2X can run @ 260 MHz max).

My SD card is a Dane-Elec 2 GB FAT 16 formatted card ...

And compat mode doesn't work for this game :(

Output.txt reads like this:
Using /lib/modules/2.4.26-open2x/kernel/drivers/gp2x/mmuhack.o
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.26-open2x/kernel/drivers/gp2x/mmuhack.o will taint the kernel: no license
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Module mmuhack loaded, with warnings

Thanks for your help ! Magic Sam

Magic Sam posted on May 25 2009 at 12:17 PM said:
I have a problem playing Payback full version 1.11 on my GP2X F200 ( B ) with Open2x Dr7 :(

I can install the game, run it, save it, but when I try to load a saved game I can see a black screen and a white mouse cursor at the center of the screen, then Payback crashes and returns to GMenu2X :(

I've tried to edit the following options in Payback link: Cache uper memory, Tweak RAM Timings and Clock, without success :(

Game is overclocked @ 250 MHz in the game options (but my GP2X can run @ 260 MHz max).

My SD card is a Dane-Elec 2 GB FAT 16 formatted card ...

And compat mode doesn't work for this game :(

Hmm, unusual.. I only have the SD version of Payback and it does work fine. It is very sensitive to writes to the SD as part of its copy protection. In fact, when the F200 came out it caused problems with my Payback that caused it to fail to load because the new firmware would create folders automatically.

Does the downloadable version of Payback also maybe have copy protection like this? If so let me know and I can advise further maybe. Hopefully the author can help you too (though he was rather unhelpful when I needed to contact him myself).

Output.txt reads like this:
Using /lib/modules/2.4.26-open2x/kernel/drivers/gp2x/mmuhack.o
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.26-open2x/kernel/drivers/gp2x/mmuhack.o will taint the kernel: no license
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Module mmuhack loaded, with warnings

That's normal..

Hi Senor Quack :)
Senor Quack posted on May 26 2009 at 05:10 AM) Does the downloadable version of Payback also maybe have copy protection like this? If so let me know and I can advise further maybe. Hopefully the author can help you too (though he was rather unhelpful when I needed to contact him myself said:

The downloadable version of Payback doesn't seem to have copy protection anymore:
-- PAYBACK CHANGE LOG --
v1.11: 25 July 2007

+ Disabled copy protection

Bye and thanks for your help ! Magic Sam

Magic Sam posted on May 26 2009 at 05:04 AM) Hi Senor Quack :) [quote="Senor Quack posted on May 26 2009 at 05:10 AM said:
Does the downloadable version of Payback also maybe have copy protection like this? If so let me know and I can advise further maybe. Hopefully the author can help you too (though he was rather unhelpful when I needed to contact him myself"].

The downloadable version of Payback doesn't seem to have copy protection anymore:
-- PAYBACK CHANGE LOG --
v1.11: 25 July 2007

+ Disabled copy protection

Bye and thanks for your help ! Magic Sam[/quote]
Sent you a PM

Magic Sam posted on May 25 2009 at 12:17 PM) Hi at I have a problem playing Payback full version 1.11 on my GP2X F200 ( B said:
with Open2x Dr7 :(

OK, Magic Sam, I extracted the .7z file you sent me to a freshly-formatted 2GB card (FAT32). I used Open2X's Explorer to execute Payback.gpe (did not create a link) and started Story Mode after setting the language to English. I saved the game immediately, then exited. I restarted Payback and loaded that saved game and it seemed to work fine.

Can you try the above steps yourself and see if you can get it working that way? If you can get it working, can you experiment and try to get it to fail again (create a link with GMenu2X, play the game a lot, copy other games to the SD, etc)? Good luck :)

Hi Senor Quack :)
and started Story Mode after setting the language to English. I saved the game immediately, then exited. I restarted Payback and loaded that saved game and it seemed to work fine.
Can you try the above steps yourself and see if you can get it working that way? If you can get it working, can you experiment and try to get it to fail again (create a link with GMenu2X, play the game a lot, copy other games to the SD, etc)? Good luck :)

Well...I have FAT 32 formatted my SD card, used Open2X's Explorer to run Payback *.gpe, started Story mode and left language setting to English. I have killed some cops and pedestrians, saved my game, and exited. I have restarted Payback, loaded the saved game and ... it didn't work :(
I have to say that Payback was not the only game on the SD card when I tried, and it is located in /games/commercial/Payback or something like that...
Anyway, thanks for trying to help me with this weird bug :) I'm sure it has something to do with the SD card (I had to FAT 16 format it when I intalled Open2X) which is somehow not quite compatible with this firmware :(
Bye, Magic Sam

~Ok, thanks for the advice, I'm pleased to say I've gotten all the emulators working now more or less.
Just a matter of tweaking the settings for the various programs as you say :D

Just for referance though:

For finalburnalpha I had to roll back too: FBA beta 6 (it works, but does some VERY weird stuff once you quit out of it, screens a funny colours, blurring on the open2x screen, multiple windows open when you switch between tabs... very strange... also, it doesn't display the name of the games, so you either have to memorise the order, or just hope for the best)

MAME4all works fine no problems

DrpocketSNES worked with the GNgeo style tweaking (For some reason I couldn't get the sound working on Squidgesnes, but that worked through this route too)

Picodrive is fine as always

Anyway, thanks again to all the Dev team on Open2x, its nice to actually have the little beasty running like I imagined it would :D

Please forgive me if this has been asked, I didn't run across this yet.

I have an F200 that shipped with firmware 4.0, and I have never flashed it or anything. It works quite nicely as-is, so I guess my question is whether or not I should take the chance of flashing Open2X. I want no risk of bricking it! I run solely off a power supply, so batteries dying aren't an issue.

I really want to try this- I just also really want to keep this system running. Advice is appreciated, as I have been very apprehensive about flashing the firmware!

CJ Maynard posted on May 30 2009 at 09:33 PM said:
Please forgive me if this has been asked, I didn't run across this yet.

I have an F200 that shipped with firmware 4.0, and I have never flashed it or anything. It works quite nicely as-is, so I guess my question is whether or not I should take the chance of flashing Open2X. I want no risk of bricking it! I run solely off a power supply, so batteries dying aren't an issue.

I really want to try this- I just also really want to keep this system running. Advice is appreciated, as I have been very apprehensive about flashing the firmware!
There's very little risk anything would go wrong, because we don't flash the U-boot portion of the firmware. It is corruption of this portion of the firmware that causes bricking. Bricking is when your GP2X shows absolutely nothing when you turn it on. I say this because a lot of people think their unit is bricked when in reality a failed Open2X install still shows stuff on the screen on power-on.

There's a slight chance it won't install correctly and won't boot all the way after installation.. If you read through this thread you will find mentions of people's successes and problems with (hopefully) solutions. Someone here should help you if you encounter troubles and can't find a solution or idea in the thread.

Well...all went well! I am very impressed. Still playing around with it, but it is a definite improvement! Thanks to all of you working on this project for all your time and effort.

-CJ

EDIT: Okay, I do have one question, and maybe I just haven't figured it out yet :)

Currently, I have like 6 different SD cards, broken into types of games. I run Gmenu2X on each of them, with a layout specifically for that card. I've noticed something kind of interesting. When I leave Gmenu2X on the card with autorun set, I get the Open2X Gmenu2X, but with all my links and categories for that card, minus the icons for the added categories. I guess my question is whether or not this is the best way to keep my relatively custom specs for Gmenu2X, or is there a better way to do that now? Also, can I assume that the SD version of Gmenu2X is adding the categories & links after the firmware load, but not infringing upon certain pre-set specs set by the firmware itself?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to wrap my brain around how this all works. I am really quite impressed though!

CJ Maynard posted on May 31 2009 at 01:06 PM said:
Well...all went well! I am very impressed. Still playing around with it, but it is a definite improvement! Thanks to all of you working on this project for all your time and effort.
Thanks, a lot of people worked many hundreds of hours in total on it.

EDIT: Okay, I do have one question, and maybe I just haven't figured it out yet :)

Currently, I have like 6 different SD cards, broken into types of games. I run Gmenu2X on each of them, with a layout specifically for that card. I've noticed something kind of interesting. When I leave Gmenu2X on the card with autorun set, I get the Open2X Gmenu2X, but with all my links and categories for that card, minus the icons for the added categories. I guess my question is whether or not this is the best way to keep my relatively custom specs for Gmenu2X, or is there a better way to do that now? Also, can I assume that the SD version of Gmenu2X is adding the categories & links after the firmware load, but not infringing upon certain pre-set specs set by the firmware itself?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to wrap my brain around how this all works. I am really quite impressed though!

It is best not to use the GMenu2X on the SD's, use the GMenu2X built-in to Open2X. If it were me, I'd rename the autorun.gpu found in the base folder of each SD so it will never be run. Open2X's GMenu2X automatically imports your old sections and links and places them into a special folder on the SD, .open2x_gmenu2x/

If you don't use Open2X's Gmenu2X you will lose out on almost all of the new functionality added into Open2X. All you will lose in return is the ability to add custom themes/skins/folder icons. Not a bad tradeoff. A future version of Open2X might add these abilities. Furthermore, Gruso had a thread on customizing Open2X's look a bit until we add the support in.

"Thanks, a lot of people worked many hundreds of hours in total on it."

No doubt...unfortunately, I know next to nothing about programming, but the least I can do is offer occasional free graphic design, if you guys run into a need for it. Just send me a message. Seems the least I can do is to at least offer after all you guys have done! Thanks again to all of you, been following Gruso's tut and am almost done modding the skin right now.

Beautiful work guys.

I may need some help with using telnet into Open2x.

I got this working easily under standard GP2X fairly easily.

I've got the following items set:

USB net on boot: ON
USB Net IP: 192.168.2.1
Telnet on boot: ON

I'd previously set up the Windows side so I know that's working, including switching off the firewall over the USB connection.
My PC's IP is 192.168.2.2 for this interface.

When I telnet to my GP2X I get the standard "can't telnet " error message.
I can successfully ping 192.168.2.1, so it seems like telnetd isn't actually running on the GP2X.

Am I missing anything?

UPDATE:

I've just made a break through. I've loaded it all up on my work's computer and it seems to function correctly.

Two differences:

* I'm using Win2K instead of WinXP.
* I'm using a USB1.0 port instead of USB2.0.

The odd thing is that it certainly used to work at home with the standard GPH firmware.
I did all my GP2X devving at home.

Blah.

Reinstalled the RNDIS drivers on WinXP and everything seems to be good. So Telnet is not a problem.

Next problem. FTPd is SLOW. 25K a second. WTF! Dev build of MAME executable is 10MB. It's takes minutes to transfer!

Please tell me that smbd is there somewhere, though there's no GUI for it that I can see.

Back