Open2x Dr4 (wip)

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
As this has not been on the main page yet...

Open2x is an umbrella project to bring open source, community friendly, solutions to the GP2X Linux handheld system. The project consists of a number of complementing sub-projects that work together to deliver things such as the Open2x toolchains, kernel and firmware.

Release notes:
All my enthusiasm has been sapped at the moment due to various changes in the scene, so I am going to throw this out there in the hope that I will get interested again. I'm not sure that many people on here now have even seen a GP2X/GP32 though.

F100 only for now, if (and only if) I see enough interest will I compile the kernel for F200 (I have tested it on an F200, but only messing around with quick kernel builds and much faffing).

Known issues (there are probably more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head right now):
- Built in music player stutters on MP3s (recommend: install your own on SD).
- Built in video player menu gets a bit messed up after quitting a video (not actually seen this myself but enough people have said so that I believe it).
- Compatibility is pretty damn good, but not everything works. - Try compat, failing that, sorry. I have worked around many, many application specific problems and to be frank, it is boring. If you can nail down the problem precisely, tell me and I will see what can be done about it however. Also, have a look here.
- Very occasionally the sound patches mess up and get locked with no sound. Try pressing X on GMenu2x and watch the icon in the bottom right change.

Features:
- Built in GMenu2x
- Faster boot time
- Can have forced sound scaling/muting.
- Safe to install
- Can be installed from all firmwares
- Can revert to GPH firmware with no ill effects
- No need to reflash the bootloader
- Dynamic linking now possible
- Up to date libraries
- kexec syscall in the kernel
- Many, many more! If you discover something I forgot, let me know.

If anybody wishes to help, please come in our IRC channel, #open2x on FreeNode. We don't just need help from kernel people. Libraries, built in apps, user/developer guides, any extra odds and ends you feel might be useful to somebody all need to be worked on!

Discussion and Download: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45518

Last edited by a moderator:
Back