nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

Fuck Yeah!, That song says it all, I can't wait. 

My only two request is that they improve the form factor, and also add rumble support. Anything else is gravy.

Chris

it's got android Lollipop (5.x), so I'm figureing they upgraded to tegra k1 or x1 because they didn't build 5.0 for the portable/tegra 4

either way, it's going to be pretty cool if it happens, lets hope they keep that sweet sweet price point of $200-250

I hope they make the internal storage bigger. 16GB just wasn't cutting it for installed apps. You could work around a way to install it on external, but it seemed like a major design flaw, having to uninstall/reinstall games depending on what you wanted to play.

Lighter would be nice if they do it, size I never found to be an issue, 7 inch screen would be the bee's knees if they do it. Either way, just a general refresh would kick ass, don't really need to do much else to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Lolipop fix the emulator audio lag much in Android? 

Good news though. Someone at Nvidia heard the people. 

About time! Hopefully it'll release in Europe this time, I'm still kind of annoyed at having to pay an extra €100 on top of the retail price bringing the first one into Ireland. Having said that, is it possible this is just a change in the appearance?
Shield slim and lite, or Shield XL?

I think this is at the very least a functional update, the wifi has at the very minimum been updated (update to AC). The chipset has likely been updated as well, but to what is up to speculation.

I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice as far as delaying overseas release, there is/was obviously a market for it, and that's what I think they were worried about in the first release.

Honest opinion.
First and foremost, I doubt streaming 4k/60Hz gameplay footage is ever going to be a thing. And I'm skeptical that nVidia's GRID service can scale well enough to cover say, tens of millions of users with an nVidia data center at a reliable low latency location for most of them. It may be the sort of thing that works nicely if you're in the right location, so long as it doesn't become too popular there.

Sure Shield TV could probably sell games if they were at $35-40 instead of $60 but are developers going to do that? The only way that'd happen is if they were confident that Shield TV wouldn't steal sales from the PS4/XB1/PC versions, otherwise there's no way. And if that were actually a big sales driver for Shield that would only happen because it's stealing sales. So forget it.

IMO, nVidia's best bet for at least some modest level of sales is to get the most popular Steam games ported (or better yet, some partnership with Valve that brings in direct Steam support for games accessing it). Foot the bill themselves to port games as much as necessary, something nVidia already does to some extent, or at least much more than OUYA ever did or could. Make a big investment to buy an exclusivity period or major enhanced features for some hot upcoming games. Make sure the best Android games are heavily optimized for the platform. If the most popular indie games are available some people will consider it as an alternative to a TV PC/steambox or next gen console.

I agree, while the current incarnation of nvidia grid is acceptable in a 5-7 inch handheld, I think a bigger screen @ higher res will see all types of bottlenecks. I would be absolutely horrified to see the bandwidth requirements for 4k, let alone 1080p 60fps steaming. I find 720p @ 30fps to almost be a burden on my current pipe.

Gamestream from one room to another is by far the better of the two experiences however, if they could make that experience even more seamless, and universally compatible, it will be a staple. It's already consumer ready.

Given all that, I really do think nvidia/android has a solid shot at success. To me it almost seems inevitable the convergence of windows\PC & android gaming. Nvidia is pushing so hard in that direction, and they have enough weight in the areas that matter that I think they'll be able to make an impact. Their influence on the PC gaming market is undeniable, logic would suggest they could do the same for this platform as well. Looking back at the very deliberate steps and the progress in each step, pushing it out a few more steps the convergence is very fast approaching. Maybe within the next generation or two of tegra.

Will this shield game console be a success? Ehh... I don't think so. The games need to come, but if you were to ask me back in 2000 if microsoft could pull off a console I would have said no, hell I did say no. But it worked, and now they are among the top with sony and nintendo. It feels too much like, and is just a glorified computer for your TV to your average consumer. They need to be like.... "GAME CONSOLE" with publishers, exclusive titles etc. And then be all like "look what else you can do!" "but nevermind that, look at dem games tho!" They're doing it wrong by showing off the technology as the main selling point, consumers don't give a shit about that stuff.

I still think they'll eventually get there, just not this time.

BTW, where is the portable 2 announcement?? *anxious nerd rage*

Mmmmmm, interesting.

Chris

Friends1.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you~

I'm glad that it's almost as powerful as the nVIDIA Shield Android TV console. :)

Your very welcome SONY, as I check the Nvidia Portable Shield page a few times a week and saw this today. It also looks like the screen is 7" at least, so I don't know what to think in regards to that? I'm sure we will get an announcement at E3, as the GRID service is due to start charging soon, so a new system and rates should go hand in hand(fingers crossed).

Chris

Check the right column on the benchmarks page, and there's a "form factor" selector, and mobile above 7" and below is select-able. So as this currently sits, it is at least 7" based on their current selector options. Who knows if it's accurate or not?

Chris

Check the right column on the benchmarks page, and there's a "form factor" selector, and mobile above 7" and below is select-able. So as this currently sits, it is at least 7" based on their current selector options. Who knows if it's accurate or not?

Chris
https://gfxbench.com/result.jsp?benchmark=gfx31&test=547&text-filter=shield&order=median&ff-desktop=true&ff-lmobile=true&ff-smobile=true&os-Android_gl=true&pu-CPU=true&pu-dGPU=true&pu-iGPU=true&pu-mGPU=true&pu-CPU-iGPU=true&pu-ACC=true&arch-ARM=true&arch-x86=true&base=device

Hmmmmmmmmmm, you're right. I find it very interesting because a 7" or more screen size means...no more clamshell form-factor :(

Back