nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

I don't think I've ever had a dream where such a product was featured.

...and yet emulation still stinks due to Android not being well enough for it. 
Can you elaborate on where you feel it stinks?

Personally I find the shield's emulation capabilities of any recent console to be 2nd to none in a handheld, this is directly because of the amount of power being thrown at the emulator.

The pandora does emulation of anything pre year 2000 really well esp when comparing audio syncing, but then you have to deal with the ghosting and stuff. Things like N64 or newer are just better on the shield.

GCW Zero performs pretty good on most of the same consoles as the pandora, and doesn't have much ghosting, but the controls are far worse of the 3. Things newer than snes are better on either the pandora or shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those nVIDIA-GPU "locked" games are meant for exclusivity purposes. This is so that smartphone gamers who want to play, for example Portal on the go will actually pick a shield up to play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here sending their tablet back?
Just spotted this and checked my daughters tablet, turns out an RMA is required. This is going to cost Nvidia a pretty penny as they have promised a new unit will be sent before the old unit has to be returned. They will remotely wipe / render useless the old unit when the new unit is received and activated.

Wonder how that will work?

Sorry to revive a completely dead thread, but there seems to be a prototype Shield Portable 2 on eBay with an asking price of $450 USD. I don't know if it has a K1 (I recall there being a patent at some point for a K1 Shield Portable, before the idea was scrapped for the [blegh] Tablet), but the form factor looks nearly identical to the other 2 Portable X1 prototypes that have appeared so far so I'm inclined to think that it's an early X1 Portable prototype. And I'm thinking it's an early prototype, because it looks like they tried to meld the slightly newer triangular design of the original Shield Controller's menu buttons with the actual physical buttons of the Shield Portable. Also the screen looks to be about the same size as the original Portable, so I'm inclined to say that this is an early prototype.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/nvidia-shi...rentrq:636f47ff1640a9cc18e930a2fff2bf2b|iid:1
I probably would love to grab this, but I'm mega broke at the moment and even if I could afford to get one of these rarities I would probably keep watching for one of the later prototypes (I want that bigger screen).

I used to have both these prototypes.
Both were given to me as a b'day gift.

But the one you eBay linked us to is the 1st prototype of the Shield Portable 2, which has X1 in it.

The 2nd prototype (shown below) also has X1 in it but has the bigger screen and has a slightly different look.

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 257
I used to have both these prototypes.
Both were given to me as a b'day gift.

But the one you eBay linked us to is the 1st prototype of the Shield Portable 2, which has X1 in it.

The 2nd prototype (shown below) also has X1 in it but has the bigger screen and has a slightly different look.

You had a X1 Shield prototype?

Yes, both of them. Both were in acceptable condition too.
I used be like @AVahne and collected heaps of mainstream and obscure handhelds.
Almost 30 years worth of collecting and admittedly I regretted it, so now I only own new hardware.

Not, sold just gave them away to people who could probably tinker with them and get some results, unlike me...I couldn't do anything with them. They were buggy as hell :(

@SONY

Shit, Should have told me if you were giving them away :)

That's pretty generous, you must have paid a bit for them?

Back