nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

Check the right column on the benchmarks page, and there's a "form factor" selector, and mobile above 7" and below is select-able. So as this currently sits, it is at least 7" based on their current selector options. Who knows if it's accurate or not?

Chris
Hmmmmmmmmmm, you're right. I find it very interesting because a 7" or more screen size means...no more clamshell form-factor :(
This was my concern as well. 7" shouldn't really surprise me, as one of the major "wants" was a bigger screen. I honestly won't mind, as long as the form factor is good. The first portable sucks on many levels, and while I like the clamshell design of the DS Lite, 3DS and Pandora, it didn't do any favors for the Shield.

I'll keep an open mind, and see what they come up with. Hopefully with all the user feedback since the portable was first released, they don't **** this up :p

Chris

With e3 starting next month (June 16-18, 2015), and if it does end up being officially announced at e3...could it possibly launch on July 31st (exactly 2 years after Shield 1 portable)?

With e3 starting next month (June 16-18, 2015), and if it does end up being officially announced at e3...could it possibly launch on July 31st (exactly 2 years after Shield 1 portable)?
It could happen, but until I see the final unit and know what's improved and what's not, a release date won't mean much to me(not yet anyway).

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice specs... but more a mobile home console than a mobile on-the-go-console with that size. Nice for playing in bed I guess :)

Beefy CPU + Tegra 3 + the rest for $200-300 ?  Is the SOC that cheap or does NVidia calculate towards 0 with the Hardware?

It's their chip so they charge whatever they want. In this case it is almost free because they want to get into the gaming business first I guess.

My guess. US $200.
SONY, what are you smoking, and can you ship me some? :p   I would love 200, but with an almost 8" screen, that price is unlikely. But as stated, it's their tech, so they may sale it cheap just to get it out in to the market. We will know soon enough.

Chris

Those would not be the specs of a Shield portable 2 - referring to the 7.8" screen.   To be honest , I have my doubts you will ever see a 2nd portable.  It would make more sense for Nvidia to just do the tablet and provide a controller attachment like the Ipega 9023

It would make more sense for Nvidia to just do the tablet and provide a controller attachment like the Ipega 9023
That's blasphemy, if you even think something like that, your missing the whole point of the portable unit. If the controls aren't attached, it is just another tablet with controls through whatever means the end user chooses, and there are already tons of those options on the market.

The Shield Portable is niche, same as the Pandora and Pyra, but to sale it as something it's not, hell, they already have a tablet with with control options, so again, what would be the point?

Chris

If the portable was pocketable , Id agree with you. But it isn't, It's no more portable than a tablet in that it has to be carried in a bag.  If you want controls all the time, keep the controller attachment on the tablet. .  Prefer the bigger screen, flexibility and more use cases also.

^ It's not about being pocketable though. It's about carrying it around with ease and bringing it anywhere you want.
this is truth. I feel the pocket friendly mobile device is separate category within the bigger "mobile device" realm. What separates the iphone from the ipad mini to the ipad as an example. They're all meant to be portable, one fits in your pants pocket, the other might fit in a jacket/coat pocket, and the last would only fit in a backpack. Similar to what separates a handheld device to that of a laptop but both being mobile or portable.

Beefy CPU + Tegra 3 + the rest for $200-300 ?  Is the SOC that cheap or does NVidia calculate towards 0 with the Hardware?
it's a tegra x1, which is the CPU/GPU all in one. Nvidia sells the android tv with the exact same internals for $200, I'm thinking they could/would add a screen and refit their existing controller case for $50-100. I'd be curious what the profit margin was on these, but given that there are similar lower spec'd things out there that sell for half in not less that price, I'm sure they're doing just fine.

It's their chip so they charge whatever they want. In this case it is almost free because they want to get into the gaming business first I guess.
I wish chip companies would have that attitude when it comes to people that need cheap SoC's for their Open Source Handhelds. ;)

Back